Asus x99 II + 6800k not booting / shuts down after 1 second

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by _cTn_, Jun 10, 2017.

1. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Hi, ill try to make this as short as possible.
    I am trying to figure out "what to RMA".

What happened:
    Today, during my usual twitch streams my computer shut down, pressing the power button, turns the PC on for about 1 sec and then it shuts down again.

What i tried:
    Resetting the CMOS (both via jumper & also via removing the battery for 5 minutes)
    Disconnecting all the external peripherals & all HDD's & SSD's
    Removing the GPU & different GPU
    Different power supply
    Just one stick of ram instead of 2 (tried both sticks)
    Disassembling the machine, making a bare-bone setup on my desk (mobo, ram, cpu, cpu cooler, psu)

While doing all of this, i managed to get the "limited" pc to start up couple of times (never fully), usually due to no VGA output or with the error message that i need to connect all the power cables for the GPU (while all of them were connected properly).
    After many re-tries i managed to get into BIOS 2x, all i did afterwards was apply defaults and save (shouldn't do much since the CMOS was reset anyway).
    The board rebooted after doing so and then shut down, resulting in the previously described "1 sec and then shuts down" behavior.

Since i don't have a spare 6800k or an x99 motherboard to test, i am kinda out of options.

Do you guys have any ideas? :bang:

2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Is there any Q codes or fault LEDs lit up on the motherboard at all when you try and power it on?

3. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Yup, although i find them extremely unreliable in this case.

During the testing (when the board ended up running longer than 1 second) the GPU fault led usually ended up glowing, then Q code varied heavily at this stage, usually also pointing to GPU.

When the board only lasts around 1 second, the CPU fault led is glowing and the last Q code i can see is between 20 and 25, this should be "pre memory PCH initialization" if it falls into the 19-1C range of Q codes according to the manual.

During "normal operation/proper boot" the board usually cycles through all of them while booting, for 0.5 sec and less in some cases but they did light up.

If i remember correctly the CPU fault led was on for 1-2 seconds every time the motherboard was booting, so i am not sure i can rely on the status from debug leds in this case.

4. Marco Borsato

Marco Borsato Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    This sure sounds like a bad motherboard my friend, are there any bent pins on the CPU socket?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    As you've tested/replaced all but the chip and the board, and unlikely to be the chip, looks likely it's the board

6. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    No there are no bent pins on the motherboard.

Thanks for the help guys, i also think its the mobo, ill send the mobo out to asus for an RMA.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Did You try updating to latest 1701 bios via USB flashback?

8. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    No i didn't, the board was still running 1504, as there was no hardware change done in the system, and i was rocking the 1504 for months without any problem, it didn't seem relevant at the time.

In retrospect, i should have probably tried to remove the cpu again and get the 1701 flashed, but i didn't even have a pc on which i could make the flashstick with 1701.

:/

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You don't need to remove CPU btw.. just make sure plugged into outlet..

Of course you'll need a laptop or something to make it

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Asus X99 boards have a bad habit of killing Intel CPU's so I wouldn't be surprised if it still doesn't boot after the RMA.

Good luck though, hopefully it is just the motherboard.

11. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    I will also drop the CPU for RMA on monday, too bad i didn't have a spare cpu or mobo, i could have at least found the exact part that is breaking stuff, as now its still kinda 50:50.

Worst case scenario the CPU comes back as being "ok".
    I don't really feel like waiting up to 2 months to get my machine fixed in case the mobo would be ok (the RMA period here is up to 30 days).

12. The1

The1 Member Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080
    Good Morning, may seem to simple but I had a very similar issue and did all of the usual troubleshooting steps.
    Was going to rma the board and decided to replace the battery instead of just remove and bang....:)
    All good and haven't had a problem since...
    Give it a try, easy cheap and may save a lot of time.
    Good Luck..

13. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Thanks for the idea, sadly everything went out for RMA already, so will see what kind of info i get from the RMA center.

However i had the battery out of the mobo for a brief period, measured it with my volt meter, everything seemed ok on that front.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Same with X79.. I highly suggest to send CPU for test at the same time, as i have got the same problem and it was not the mainboard, but the CPU. ( the worst is both was brand new and running since one night only..

So many time lost in RMA process ( and as i couldnt wait, i have buy a second mainboard ( who have finally do i have understand it was not the mainboard ).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  15. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Damn, seems like quite a few people had some issue with the "enthusiast" intel platform :/
    BTW thats exactly what i did (i sent both mobo and cpu for an RMA), i like to debug everything my self and then just send the broken component for an RMA, but i don't really have 2011-3 compatible cpu or mobo just laying around.
    For all i know at this case, both things could be broken.

Whats funny is that about a month ago my 980 ti started to have huge temperature problems, i RMAed the card, turned out it was a "faulty" ram module, which they replaced...
    Since the RMA took too long i bough my self an 1080 and now my "whole" machine RIPs, so i am without a working machine again... typical :puke2:

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Let us know how it goes with the RMA, Intel are usually pretty good when it comes to replacing things, ASUS takes a bit longer but overall you shouldn't have to wait long.

17. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Hi guys, so i got my hardware back, the motherboard was ok (all they did was flash the bios to the latest version and test it), the cpu on the other hand was replaced straight away.

I have rebuild the machine, everything seems to be running fine, the CPU doesn't overclock as good as the old one (sad eyes) but it runs around 10 C cooler during stress tests :O

Ill let it run for a couple of days on 4.1 GHz @ 1.26V and see if everything is ok, so far so good.

Thank you guys for your help!

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Good to hear you got it sorted, I had a 6950X die on me so I know the feeling :)