Can't get into EUFI

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by g-man.357, Aug 20, 2016.

1. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    Can't get into UEFI [solved]

So I've been all over the internet looking for answers, but nothing seems to work. I'm running Windows 10 on an Asus p67 Sabertooth.

I go to Recovery/ Advanced Startup and hit reset, but it just boots into Windows. Same thing if I hold shift while selecting reset from the Start Menu.

I tried the Asus boot setting software, but it says 'update this motherboard's BIOS to the latest version'.

I disabled fast boot, but still, I only get a black screen from power on into Windows.

The only thing I can thing of is that this old motherboard just doesn't play well with Windows 10, but why would it have issues before Windows even loads?

When I get a chance later today, I will try booting with my HDD unplugged. I am concerned though because I'm running RAID and don't want to mess anything up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    So, when powering up, if I spam the DEL key, Windows won't load. The computer just stays on a black screen. Could I be in the EUFI and not have picture? This mobo doesn't have integrated graphics, so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this...

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Sounds like it might be outputting a video signal that isn't compatible with your screen, is there any way you can try a different screen?

Failing that, maybe try updating the BIOS through the Asus software in Windows, there might be a fix in the newest version.

4. g-man.357

g-man.357 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan
    I got it fixed. Luckily I still had my old video card lying around so I put the 680 back in and the picture was good! Flashed the newest uefi, and put the Titan back in and it still works. I guess it was motherboard and gpu compatibility issues, and not Windows 10 at all.

Only downside besides time spent, was that I had to relearn how to overclock my 2500K. Hopefully I'll get a few more years out of this rig.

As an aside, I've never had one rig for so long. It's been years since I've even needed a fresh OS installation, and I'm a serious gamer. Just now feeling the need for a new GPU. I have the Titan on loan at the moment, but if my 680 had more than 2 gigs of ram, I think it would still be good. Wonderful time to be alive. These kids don't know how lucky they have it!