Black borders w/ videos w/ SteadyVideo

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AsiJu, Sep 12, 2014.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hello there!

I just realised that while running hardware accelerated videos with AMD SteadyVideo enabled, there are black borders all around the screen (in fullscreen mode).

Without SteadyVideo these don't exist.

Anyone seen the same? Is it a driver version thing or just a known issue with SteadyVideo?

Not a biggie, but would like to have your input on this.

PS: running the 14.300 (latest leaked) betas atm. Not sure whether I had these borders with WHQL drivers too as it just struck me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Hello AsiJu.
    If you think about what function SteadyVideo is supposed to deliver and then available methods to achieve this. You realize that if you do not crop certain number of pixels at edge of video you will get either into situation where during stabilization you end up with entire image moving into some direction leaving black/white/whatever area behind because there are no data to display or you approximate something what could be at that empty space from previous frames.

In 1st case as you move entire image and leave empty pixels behind at edge it will feel even more shaky and distracting then if you used no stabilization.
    In 2nd case you get quite some blur which will be distracting/unpleasant too (not as much as 1st method) and increase compute requirements too.

That is why pixels are cut in advance and number of cut pixels gives you exactly number of pixels shaking image can be corrected by.

But if you ask why driver does not enlarge cropped area to full screen after cropping, for that I have no answer since I would consider it as logical. in any case, most of players have zooming functions.
    (VLC/MPC-HC)

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ ah, thanks. That makes sense to me, I think.

And I was indeed talking about Flash player video here. Rather than playing an actual video (DVD/Blu-Ray) with my PC.

PS: on second thought, isn't the simplest way of achieving smooth playback interpolating between two frames? Why would that require the "black borders"?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  4. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    SteadyVideo is for eliminating camera shake on your home videos, which requires some level of cropping. Frame interpolation is for taking a low FPS source video and making the FPS appear greater, making the motion in the video smoother.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ OK, I see. So it's different from "smooth" playback per se.