Asus R290 shut down PC

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by commanderz, Jul 4, 2014.

1. commanderz

commanderz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570OC
    hi guy, having random shut down while gaming...after my asus r290 hit 93-95 C temp.....may i know is PSW problem or my card faulted ?:bang:

2. mayberry1

mayberry1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 Ti FTW+
    Sounds like the temperatures you are getting may be the problem. 93 degrees is extremely high for a graphics card.

Do you still own the Gigabyte Pro Odin 800W power supply that you have listed? If so, you have plenty of power available, so I don't think your power supply is the problem.

I would highly recommend lowering those temps. Once you get to a reasonable level somewhere around 70 to low 80's you shouldn't have any more problems. If you have any overclock applied to the card, I would lower it back to stock clocks and see if it makes any noticeable difference in your temperatures.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Those temps are normal for 290 series cards. It sounds like you are using the silent mode that lets the card go near 95c. How old is your PSU?

4. commanderz

commanderz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570OC
    update: ok after done a few test on benchmark....it seem i need to manual set the fan speed to 40-47% in order to stable the temp between 85-90C in gaming....and yes i still using Odin 800w PSW....i dun think is my PSW problem....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

5. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Use MSI Afterburner and set the fan scale so that it blows at 55% when in use (or higher if you want).

6. Warhammertx

Warhammertx Member

GPU:
    Powercolor R9-290
    I had the same problem MSI afterburner should cure it like acid suggested I set it to 60% and all has been good.

7. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Does your power supply have separate rails? It can be poor rail power distribution, I had a shutdown issue in metro 2033 with a 7970 and an ocz stealthxtreme 600w and besides cpu and pci-e being on the same rail, the wires were shared between the two pci-e headers.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    When you say it shuts down, do you mean your PC completely goes off like the plug was pulled, and the only way to get it back on, is to switch the PSU off and back on again ?

If so, then its a PSU problem, cards wanting more power, that the PSU can't provide, so it has no option but to switch off.

The PSU you have should be enough to power it though.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014