Need Quick Opinions on Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Neo Cyrus, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    TL;DR: I want a new mechanical keyboard with a full layout and I'm considering the Logitech Orion Spark G910 because it's currently $90 off at a local shop. Yay or nay? Suggestions?

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/rgb-gaming-keyboard-g910

Long story short the key caps on my CM Quick Fire TK (Cherry Blue) are falling apart because CM sent me a degraded refurb to replace a brand new one that was defective out of the box... and CM denied sending me a few new caps because the manager of the Toronto RMA facility is a douche who's pinching every penny as if it's his mother's soul not realizing he's an idiot that permanently lost the company a customer and by extension everyone I know.

Getting replacement key caps for it is going to be so costly that I might as well buy a new keyboard with a full layout. At the time if I wanted full N-key rollover, Cherry Blue switches, and a blue backlighting there weren't any other options than this compact layout.

I'm looking at the Logitech G910 Orion Spark (rather than the less X-TREMEEEE Spectrum) because it's what's left from the boxing day sales and also **** Razer, I wouldn't consider their keyboards.

It uses Romer-G switches which makes me hesitant because it's made by Omron and in my experience everything Omron fails in like a year despite their claims of 9001 year life spans.

Ideally I'd like something which has a:
    - nice tactile feel
    - full rollover
    - RGB backlighting
    - full layout
    - white colour instead of black (this seems kind of rare)
    - removable/replaceable cord
    - key caps which won't peel or fall apart in any way

Obviously such a thing doesn't exist.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The G910 is pretty good. It's a little awkward at first to type on at first because of the shape of the keys but after a few days I got used to it. It's also not as loud as the Corsair keyboards which is a plus for me.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    By far my biggest concern is the key caps peeling or falling apart in some way. Some of the keys on my Quick Fire TK are FUBAR, most of them are slightly peeled at the least. Is the surface of the keys on the G910 the type that can peel off or is it solid injected plastic?

And is there any difference between the Spark G910 and the Spectrum G910 aside from the X-TREME GAMER giant ass wrist wrest on the Spark version? I wonder if Logitech would send me the more plain wrist rest of the Spectrum?

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I don't know about the spectrum. I have the orion spark and it came with 2 wrist rests. One longer and one shorter.

I don't believe the caps can peel. The LED's are directly under the cap and there is no light bleed around them like you see in the Corsair keyboards. Only the characters light up.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yeah, as far as I know both the included wrist rests are one sided (left hand for WASD) gamer rests.

As for the bleed, that quirk to me was a feature, CM even abused it for a nice effect. The steel plate inside is painted blue, so the bleed from the blue LEDs light up the blue paint making the entire thing have a strong blue glow.

I'm considering the G810 as well since that thing is also on sale and not so X-TREME GAMER looking, but according to Logitech's site it doesn't have cable routing and lacks dual zone lighting, whatever the hell that means.