6.5.0 Beta 6 64 bit Steam Overlay does not work.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by MrBridgeSix, Oct 6, 2016.

1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    An easier way to get notepad to run as admin would be a right-click on notepad -> more -> open file location (in Windows 10). In the notepad location (or wordpad, etc.) right click on notepad.exe (wordpad.exe, etc.) select the "shortcut" tab, click "Advanced," select the check the box that says, "Run as administrator." and click OK. Once you do that anytime you launch notepad it will already be running as administrator. This can be done with any program. Option (a) is just one of the many ways you can run an application as the administrator. I've listed below a few other options when running a program as administrator is required. I hope they help in answering your question!

How to always run a program as administrator in Windows 10.

A few other ways to get a program running as administrator in Windows 10

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ok tnx for quick guide pimp_gimp

KillingFloor2, DyingLight dont work with default :nerd:

Like so right,
    InjectionDelayTriggers = IGO64.dll,GameOverlayRenderer64.dll

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  3. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    I have a question: Now that 6.5.1 is out, do we still need the Tweak?
    Or is the tweak already built-in?

Suggestion for the next update: Can you perhaps post the tweak in the Readme info of the download page next time, or better yet - include it inside the new version built it. Or alternatively as a toggle-able option?

I am pretty sure 99% of the users will want to have your overlay working with Steam's Overlay, so it would be best to include the tweak as an ON/OF option in RTSS.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Answered in the release notes. And no, it won't be enabled by deault, I explained why in details and I'd really like to avoid repeating the same things again.

5. Ransom Seraph

Ransom Seraph Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 Gaming SLI
    Of course I read the release notes (from this page: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html), just like last time.
    However the sole comment: "Power users may still add 64-bit Steam overlay library to delayed hooking engine configuration if necessary" isn't very informative as to how to "fix" Steam Overlay with the tweak.

I already know the steps necessary to include the delay-tweak to make Steam Overlay compatible with MSI AB's overlay - I'm going to try and re-enable them now - but I think most users will have a very hard time finding it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Pimp_Gimp or Unwinder

So by custom profiles, e.g. BatmanAK is enough to use like so?

[​IMG]

EDIT; hmm it didnt work.

EDIT2: ah it was admin protected, I also added/overwrite whole global "Hooking section" to batmanAK just in case and now it works. :nerd:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That should be it, delay is already 15 seconds by default although you could try with steam_api64.dll instead of the overlay .dll file as a more direct well I don't know what to call it but that particular file is specific to every game on Steam and part of the game folder whereas the overlay is set for the steam client itself.

I'm not sure it would make a major difference though it is possible that steam_api64.dll is loaded earlier into the entire process than the overlay .dll is (Or say the steamclient64.dll) thus this is registered earlier and Afterburner / Rivatuner triggers it's delay action. :)

Aside from the Steam API or rather Steam overlay problem (On Valve's end as I've understood it.) the default profile already has a workaround for certain Nvidia effects causing problems with the OSD functionality, I'd assume TXAA specifically but it's possible other Gameworks functionality could also be needing this compatibility feature.

EDIT: As to why the Steam overlay is being problematic I'm not too sure on the specifics on that and why Valve hasn't been particularly bothered to fix it on their end instead, far as the Steam API goes that's probably pretty complex with a variety of different versions going from older games with less functionality to the newest games making use of e.g Steam VR and it's gamepad along with expanded support for Vulkan and D3D12 to name some things but I'd assume that if this overlay issue required some more extensive work on the Steam API to solve well Valve can't force developers to patch their games to implement newer builds of this so that would be my guess but it could just as easily be that the overlay functionality could be separated without too much effort on their end and they're just not seeing it as a high priority ensuring compatibility even with more popular third party software.

Valve does a bit of whatever they want lately or so it would appear at least although it can come back and bite them in the ass too such as a recent ruling in Australia ending with a fine against them being about 10 times higher than what Valve had initially suggested to settle for though I doubt it'll change anything.
    (That would be this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...on_in_australia_for_refusing/?sort=confidence )

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Now it works, it was admin write protected (forgot about that), luckily notepad++ auto ran it in admin and saved.