What defines a nerd?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Shadowsoldier, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    At this point in time people are ironically calling themselves nerds but at the same time looking down on intellectualism. People watching Big Bang Theory and Dr.Who think that makes someone intelligent/geeky yet whenever you ask them about anything that requires thinking; math, science, computers...they all look at you with a derp face. Have you ever encountered this and what was your reaction?

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Nerd is a good thing, these days
    It means knowledge and expertise

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I believe a nerd does not know that they are a nerd people who call themselves a nerd are really nerd wanna be's am I a nerd who knows am i

4. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:

I agree with this post

5. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    The nerd/geek thing kind of always painted an idea of a person being just sort of having full blown Aspergers. But now with everyone having a computer/tablet along with having a Facebook and even being into MMORPGs- I don't think the nerd/geek thing carries as much as a "social awkward" sort of vibe- so now in some areas you have people relating it to being the same as "hipster" almost.

To have people using any sort of word to define themselves always have a case of unwarranted self importance. You know, the whole:
    "I'm a vegan."
    "I'd like to think of myself as an intellectual *glasses* "
    "I'm a liberal"
    "I'm a environmentalist activist"

Yet an average person is such a collage of conflicting interests who the hell can say they'd fully identify with any group?

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I'd say it has more to do with being introverted and socially awkward. I agree with the OP. I've seen people that act like a "nerd" and they are completely derp. I know the first CS class I was in, I saw many "nerdy" looking people, and they absolutely sucked at the basic principals that I'd figure I could teach to a monkey.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The term "nerd" has become very mainstream in the last years, along with this new hipster thing. I remember for example back in 2005-2006 I was considered a nerd for playing WoW hardcore and frowned at. Funny stuff, nowadays there are a lot of those people that laughed at me playing the game now when it's super casual, while I quit for years.

What I define as a nerd is not necessarily someone with good math skills and little "social" skills (as is the cliche) but someone who has very indepth knowledge in one field and is very passionate about it, even without having a degree. There are still many genuine ones like that, just that now it's a harder to spot them.

8. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Interesting, in my Computer Science major I met a lot of genuinely intelligent/nerdy fellows. Although the in fighting of who is the bigger nerd is very apparent in it!

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, my intro classes were at a community college, so that might have something to do with it :nerd:

I'm at University of Michigan now. The class sizes are so big I don't really know anyone!

10. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    In my mind, “geek” and “nerd” are related, but capture different dimensions of an intense dedication to a subject:

geek - An enthusiast of a particular topic or field. Geeks are “collection” oriented, gathering facts and mementos related to their subject of interest. They are obsessed with the newest, coolest, trendiest things that their subject has to offer.
    nerd - A studious intellectual, although again of a particular topic or field. Nerds are “achievement” oriented, and focus their efforts on acquiring knowledge and skill over trivia and memorabilia.

pictorially à la The Simpsons

[​IMG]

Source: http://bit.ly/1cWNPap

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    These 2 pictures define the general nerd:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Nerd - Glasses and pocket protector.
    Geek - Stained T-shirt with holes and chip crumbs on it.

I'm pushing 50/50 in each, So that makes me a Geeknerdman.

Issue solved.

13. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz