6600 gt to quadro is posible?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by freaky888, Apr 9, 2005.

1. freaky888

freaky888 Guest

Hello I've been reading the forums and I'm going to buy a gforce card ¿Could anyone tell me if the 6600 gt can be transformed into a Quadro with sorfware mod (without hard mod)

I want the PC to work with 3Ds max and Autocad and after sending many mails to nvidia and autodesk I still don't Know if SLI works in these applications (I've seen that in n-Vidia page neither autocad nor 3Ds max are under "Apllications supported in the SLI link but otherwise I've been that there ara Quadro with SLI cappabilities and Quadros are oriented to these programs !!)

Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Newer 6600 cards are unmoddable to Quadro. NVIDIA seems to succesfully catch up to Unwinders work lately... :(

Forget SLI for pro 3D apps (content creation).
    It's not worth it.
    It was meant only for Games, Simulations and VR applications - it was not designed to accelerate wireframe & geometry transformation operations so the acceleration in CAD/Animation apps will be miniscule at best...

3. lw3d

lw3d Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    Alec,

Are you serious ... been away for just a few weeks and things changed this dramatically already

What about plain vanilla 6800 agp, are they still softmodable

I was going to get a 6600, is that now out of the question

4. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I don't know about new AGP cards, but everyone around me is jumping to PCI-e lately and i can confirm that almost all of the new 6XXX cards i have seen are absolutely not moddable... :(

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Confirmed. New nvidia _chips_ (NV41 and letest revidsions of NV43 (A4)) are currently completely unmoddable. NVIDIA are not a complete morons and they try to avoid making the same mistakes twice.

6. lw3d

lw3d Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    Unwinder,

Are you referring to new agp and pcie cards

I guess its time to start looking at ati again for softmoding

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm asking you the second time in the second thread: mate, can you read? I'm reffering to GPU cores and nothing else.

8. freaky888

freaky888 Guest

Hi, I'd wanted to show you what nvidia customer care had answered me after I had send it this mail:

My question: Excuse me I've seen that Autocad and 3Ds max are not under the list of SLI apps so That it means that only one target would work in these programs

Are you going to make -in short a time- anything about this?

They answered me:
    Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, please click on the link below.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

So, it could be that SLI in the future accelerate wireframe & geometry transformation operations so the acceleration in CAD would be interesting?

Other Thing

I'd wante to buy a new PC this week . Could anyone tell me What graphic card should I buy for use CAD programs such as 3Ds max and Mechanical Desktop?

Is it possible to softmod actual X800 or x850 with rivatuner?

Thanks a lot

9. lw3d

lw3d Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    HeHe, After reading your last reply, I new what was waiting for me here :D

I would agree with you if in fact I knew anything about Nvidia cards ... I know nothing about Nvidia cards, I have never owned one. Thus, when you say NV41 and letest revisions of NV43 (A4)), you are talking in a deifferent language, one that I do not understand

You should not assume everyone has your knowledge ... it was just a question [​IMG]

10. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Well, since i understand Unwinders language quite well (as a matter of fact i even understand russian too... ;)), let me translate it for you:
    The interface (AGP/PCI/PCI-e) doesn't really matter if it's unmodable or not, it's the GPU version/revision that counts... ;)

11. lw3d

lw3d Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT
    Alec,

If one were shopping for a Geforce, either 6600 or 6800, agp or pcie, is there anything labeled on the retail box in terms of product identification code which would tell us what gpu the card is made from

The same for product description at places like newegg

12. humfrez

humfrez Member

GPU:
    MSI 6600 256MB
    yes that would also be my question. I bought a 6600 rev4 and it is not modable,

Now im going to buy an older, used one.

Does anyone know if it is possible to find out by the nubmers on the gpu or anything at all what revision the card is ? or is that possible only with rivatuners graphic subs information ?

thanks

13. freaky888

freaky888 Guest

that a good question .Alec, do you know a form of knowing before buying a card if it is moddable (such as looking for the date od production, the rev.m the mark that makes it (since isn't the same a 6600 of xfx than once of Aopen etc) ?
    After reading the nvidia response about SLI what card would you buy for 3DSudio (x800, 6600 6800?

14. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    It was discussed here before and it seems there is absolutely no external reference that could show you the revision of the GPU. Sorry... :(

15. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I would get a genuine Quadro FX 540 or Quadro FX 1400, depending on the budget. If SLI operation is imperative, i would get two FX 1400 cards.

16. freaky888

freaky888 Guest

o I thought it would be better buy a x800 because I've heard that it is still moddable into firegl and it is supposed to be compatible with the AMR future technology (SLI in ATI) with your answer i suposse that softmod isn't possible isn't it? My obsesion with SLI was because 2 6600 gt softmodded and with sli support to 3dSmax would be -i think- the best in perfomance/price

thanks a lot alec

17. axezine

axezine New Member

6600GT AGP NV43 Rev A2

Hi all... Is this card moddable? I just bought it. When i apply nvstrap and force quadro, nothing happens (i thus assume this card has pcie-agp bridge). Unwinder mentioned that you can force the professional features ON without the card being recognised as Quadro (bridge chip pci deviceid can't be modded it seems), how would i go about this?

Thnx a lot.

18. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    ATI is fine too (it's easily softmodable), but don't expect stellar OpenGL performance compared to Quadros. NVIDIA drivers are still better & faster in OpenGL than ATI's even though the hardware is equally capable of reaching the same speeds in Direct3D.
    IMHO, SLI will not improve Max viewport operations as much as you expect it to from the game SLI benchies. It's much better to have a single but twice as capable card.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  19. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Re: 6600GT AGP NV43 Rev A2

You can test yourself.
    Download Spec becnchies from www.spec.org (Specviewperf and Specapc) and test.
    If the NVStrapped "a la Quadro" drivers perform better than the "plain vanilla" GeForce drivers, the mod is successful. If they don't you have an unmodable card.

20. freaky888

freaky888 Guest

thanks again i'll go to the shop and i'll asq if they have a card with a revision older than NV41 (i don't hope they know it) and if I can´t find it i'll buy an x800xt . In date periods i thin it sould be February or older I think

See you