New drivers enable SLI without SLI bridge mode?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Terwin, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    I just ran into this today:

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_mainstream.html

SLI-Ready Mainstream PC’s are supported by the GeForce 6600 standard GPU and new nForce4 SLI-based motherboards designed and priced for mainstream buyers. The latest driver release available on www.nvidia.com enables SLI capability on GeForce 6600 standard based graphics cards. See a full list of these certified graphics cards here.

I'm assuming there is some new driver trick with the latest Forcewares to allow SLI mode through the PCIe bus without an SLI bridge. Could an option be added to the RivaTuner NVStrap driver options to enable this? I'm assuming that the drivers are looking for a NV43 based card. Any way of tricking this into working on other cards besides the 6600 non-GT? I'm assuming this is going to be plausable with any 6200 NV43 based cards? Could this feature be looked into? While I don't have 2 6200's or 2 6600's, I could test this with my 2 6800U's to help out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Well, actually, SLI always could be enabled without the SLI bridge, however it results in loss of performance due to bandwidth limitations of transfering data between 2 cards quick enough over the PCI-E bus alone.
    With the 6600 however, 2 cards arent fast enough to saturate bandwidth limitations, so a bridge isnt needed. With all other cards, it is still required, unless u want lower performance.

3. Terwin

Terwin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA PCIe 7800GTXKO 540/1305 SLI G7
    Yes, but what is this undocumented trick to enable it? This might not be news to you, but to 99% of everyone else it probably is. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005