460 GTX FPS slows to crawl after few min of playing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hammie, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Basically me and my cousin are playing FEAR Combat ,,,,,, everything was fine at first but then he was getting 8fps measured with fraps . So I go lets try a older driver May 2016.

Now it slows down from 75fps to 32fps and doesn't get to 8fps.

Should we now install the latest geforce drivers and try this again.

BTW this happens with Unreal 4 Beta Alpha

His temps are soo good as well. He has not overclocked CPU or GPU . Very quiete pc.

If the latest drivers dont fix it, then what will ? Or is the video card dying ?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Can you use MSI Afterburner and enable its OSD? Use it to monitor GPU speed and temp, as well as CPU load.

3. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Ok GPU temp is 78c CPU temp is 50c Its a Core 2 Quad and no overclocking done.

Well test out FEAR Combat and see what happens to his rig. By changing drivers the 75fps at all times becomes 32fps , It used to drop to 8fps at all times. Thanks for response RealNC. Thanks

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    With the temps, check your GPU clock too. If it's potentially throttling that could play a part.

I had a 570 that started to malfunction and overheat to unplayable levels as it would throttle no matter what I did and would be crazy hot.
    (Had something similar happen with an 8800GTS several years ago).

Might need a new GPU.

When you say Unreal 4 beta alpha, do you mean Unreal Tournament (UE4) ??
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/ If yes, then i'd imagine you'd be running out of VRAM or something. That is demanding even on a 980.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

5. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    One more thing to add... AFter he exits the game and launches it again,, the FPS is fast again 75fps with his unusual resolution 1680res I believe.

6. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"

Thanks for response ya Unreal Tournament 4 Alpha and they update often. blows UT3 out of the water and now theres sliding its sick weapons are sick looking and have great feel like the ASMD or RL ..... ty :bang:

7. AlucardKaine

AlucardKaine Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 3GB
    Does your cousin use a Logitech mouse or use a high polling rate? If I remember correctly setting the polling rate to 125 is one fix that worked for me in the past.

Another is disabling the HID devices or downloading some DirectInput DLL.

Check out PCGamingWiki for more information and links regarding FEAR.

8. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Thank you AlucardKaine for your response Will do that ,, thank you

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ yea disable HID compliant devices in Device Manager, under HID Devices.
    It's a known issue with FEAR's JupiterEX engine and affects Win 7 and later, something to do with incorrect USB polling rate.

I had the exact same issue myself when I played FEAR in Win 7 (or Win 10 later) and the HID trick fixed it.
    Ofc if your cousin has a mouse with adjustable polling rate you could try that first but the HID trick should work anyway.

Just make sure you disable only HID compliant devices, no HID input or USB input devices or similar (as you may disable your mouse/keyboard accidentally).
    Also disable all of the HID compliant devices to be sure. Note though that you won't be able to use SetPoint or similar software after disabling HID devices.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  10. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Ok turns out this problem is happening on all games not just Fear. UT3 UT4 , TMN Evolution Soccer. Same problem exists in these games. I think his video card is going bad, What do yall think ?

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ it's possible. Still try the HID trick to rule it out, it has sometimes resolved issues in other games as well.

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Sorry, what is HID ? car lights ? come again.....thx

13. AlucardKaine

AlucardKaine Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 3GB
    HID is an acronym for Human Interface Devices. You can locate these under the Device Manager. Right-mouse click and disable HID-Compliant devices but leave USB Input Devices alone. Only do this if setting the polling rate to 125 didn't work.

Setting the polling rate to 125 has fixed issues in other games other than F.E.A.R. for me but as I don't have access to my main computer currently I am unable to test any games. Sorry.

Also what is the OS being used? Win 7/8/10? If it is Windows 10 I ran into something recently about the xbox gamedvr/gamebar causing performance issues in games.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    oh I got you now,,, I know what HID is ,,, thats for mouse and stuff

Ok Im going to tell him to change his logitech polling to 125 and try FEAR again Thanks much ...... will get back

15. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I think nits time we upgrade him to a 760 from a 460 is a nice boost plus he uses a low res, some weird res I think 1680 . and no AA which is free usually if you go CSAA , anyhow thx all.... and FYI, I like evga better then MSI after burner,, but thats maybe cuz I own a EVGA card, thx

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    "facepalm"