XfX RX 480 GTR or MSI RX 480 Gaming X

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Verus, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    Hi everyone.
    Can you help me decide which card to purchase ? Only two models are interested me XfX RX 480 GTR and MSI RX 480 Gaming X both versions 8 gb.

2. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Both are pretty good, but I personally only have experience with the MSI brand and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Great design, good cooling, very quiet. Can't go wrong with MSI.

3. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    Between these two cards is 30 dollars difference in my country so I wonder it is worthwhile to pay extra for MSI if XfX is equally good and cheaper.

4. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    I'd take the XFX even if they were same price. They did a pretty good job on this one.

5. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    Is there any reliable and detailed test XFX rx 480 in the web? I try to find but I found nothing concrete.

6. w0nderz

w0nderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
  7. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    This test is seen. The problem is that the graphics card is in the open case and it may change the temperature readings. My computer case is in the desk that changes the working conditions.

Or maybe Fury nitro is good alternative ?? Its cheap now , about the same price as 480 in my country.I'm only worried about 4 Gb Hmb vram . It will be enough to FHD for 2 years ??

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The thing with the XFX cards is that there are two sheets of plastic that need to be removed. The first in the one on the front covering the fans (the obvious one). The other one is the one covering the backplate. This is important to remove because there are ventilation holes. I think some people are missing that these back sheet needs to be removed, and thus get poorer than expected cooling results on the XFX models.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    XFX RX 480 GTR or Fury ;-)

10. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    I go immediately to the point. I bought XfXGTR 480 8 Gb. Since yesterday, working on my computer and noticed one problem.
    When I try to change the "run" on the speed control on my
    computer case my monitor turn off and the image disappears, although the PC is still working. I disconnected the power supply from the graphics card and monitor plugged into integrin problem disappeared. What could be the reason ?? I will add the card goes steadily Fire Strike, played Witcher 3 and Shadow Warior 2 and zero problems and artifacts. The graphics are defective or the power supply already freaking ??

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So, when you change the speed of your case fans, you get black screens?

12. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    No black screen. Its look like monitor lose signal from graphics card and diode on my monitor go yellow. When monitor work normal diode its white.

13. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So you get a "blank" screen. It's like the screen is deactivated. And that happens when you set your case fans to a higher setting, right?

How is your connectivity in the case? That sounds really weird. Does it happen immediately?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  14. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    Yes exactly

I got 2 140 mm fans conected with speed control on my case Fractal Designe Core 3500. I got "blank" screen immediately after set case fans to higher setting. When i dont use it , everything is fine. But today i got from friend r9 390 and on his card everything was fine, even when i set fans to higher sethings.
    We tested mine card on his PC and this problem dont appear.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The only completely crazy thing I can think of is that the fans cause some kind of weird ripple with the PSU that triggers something in the GPU.

My actual recommendations are motherboard related. Your motherboard had a bios update just a week ago. The previous one from that has updates for PCIe compatibility. What I recommend you try is this:

1) Install the latest bios and see if you still have the problem.

2) If that doesn't work, try another PSU.

16. Verus

Verus Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics
    I connected PSU from my friend , he got EVGA 1000W and the same problem was still.

I instal new bios with Improved PCIE compatibility and still nothing :(

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  17. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  18. mcdinz

mcdinz Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 750Ti 2GB
    pick the XFX 480 GTR. its fans are swappable.