What is the Moto X? This is the Moto X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by UZ7, Aug 1, 2013.

1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4578890/this-is-the-moto-x

Release? Q4

If you want the non-contract/bloat version there is the Google Play edition:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/4579278/google-play-edition-moto-x-announced-coming-soon

Sooooooo what do we know so far?
    Carrier exclusives.....? "At launch, only AT&T customers will get to choose the color of the front and rear of the phone, as well as the color of the power button, volume keys, and camera ring, according to a press release from the carrier." All 4 Carriers, just AT&T has customization w/ colors/earphones etc...

$199 w/ contract.... They will have Google Play version later on

Android 4.2.2... No 4.3?? Will Google Play edition have 4.3?

Body seems to be not so cheap feeling.

Based on "X8 Mobile Computing System," but which in reality consists of an off-the-shelf Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and two custom chips for the Moto X’s always-on voice recognition and gesture controls."

Gestures for camera access, pictures are good but not crazy out of the world.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I will be buying one to replace me Galaxy Nexus. Non-contact of course. :)

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Not too sure on the price of non-contract yet, they had the $199 w/ contract for all 4 carriers but only AT&T has the color customization thing exclusive. They will have the google play edition but no price release yet.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I am expecting it to be around £200/$300 on Google Play.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    My Galaxy S4 on contract was $50 cheaper and has better specs. What makes them think this is worth $200?

Plus, Motorola phones have dropped in quality quite a bit over the last few years. Maybe that changed now that they are part of Google but I doubt it.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I Like the way you can personalize the phone, so chances are you will have a unique phone. I hope this still applies to outside of the US.

7. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I think with the announcement of this phone everyone was expecting a phone that will beat all other phones but from the get go it already one step behind in terms of performance. Not sure whos call was it but they're probably going with the dual core and some low powered one for the gestures which does help with battery, so maybe they're going more of what people/and or complain more of which would be battery life. I was expecting 4.3 at release but they were saying it will have 4.2.2 so I'm like wheres the google in that one? maybe the google play edition will shine more light into that. So when it comes down to it, its more of a ...... you dont need all that type of phone, we'll just make everything simplistic.

But the problem with that approach is you have Samsung with galaxy phones of every size to compete with, HTC with the One and other models coming soon. You can target iphone with the price point.. but we'll see.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    There are 504 potential versions of the Moto X. You can customize the back and side of the phone, and even the volume and power buttons in loads of different colours, which hasn't really been done before. Will this be enough to temp people to buy the phone? Only time will tell. It will sell no matter what once it appears on the Google Play market.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Removable battery? SD card slot?

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    People still use SD cards?

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Motorola phones were quality? When? Haven't had a Motorola phone since the old V620 and I went through 5 of those in one year.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm calling for $499 on Google Play as I don't expect Google to subsidize the device like they did with the Nexus 4.

Moto X will be a Rogers exclusive device in Canada with capabilities to access Rogers' 2600 MHz 150mbps LTE network.

deltatux

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The Motorola Star Tac I had years ago was the best phone I ever owned. Ever since then their phones have sucked.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    From what I've seen so far, I think it's going to be more like $500 unless I've been reading wrong (which is a strong possibility).

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Very disappointed...

Well there is always the Nexus 5 to look forward to in a few months.

16. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    ^ after all the trouble you have reported with your N4 why are you even considering the N5?