Help with video card

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by rhendrix9, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rhendrix9

rhendrix9 New Member

GPU:
    769 kingston
    I just installed an ATI X1650 Pro video card. I am suprised that it would make so much noise.

If you wad up a piece of paper and rub it on your desk or if you take some light sandpaper and swirl it around on something, you get the sound i'm talking about.
    Sounds like the fan blades are rubbing on the sides. I bought the card for an htpc and it's really ruining the experience.

Is the sound i described normal?
    Can I do something to quieten it? Where do I start?

Does ATI make any quiet cards?

Thanks

2. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    This should probably go into the ATI section in Hardware even though it is about a htpc. Either way, yes there are quiet cards available, even silent ones (don't cool as well though). Regardless of this, the sound you described shouldn't be happening. If that ever happens to a fan I have it's usually caused by dust, but since your card is new it might just be slightly off. How I would fix it would be to play around with the fan by prodding it until the sound goes away. There is probably a better way to fix it but that's just what I do. Push very lightly.

If it keeps making too much noise then take it back to the place you bought it and tell them. They might be able to test it there and tell you if that's how it should sound. If you got it form an online store email them saying that the fan is faulty/louder than it should be.