Need SSD buying and RAID advice

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by JoeSixTooth, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JoeSixTooth

JoeSixTooth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I would like to get an SSD. Newegg has this one on sale, it's 64GB and SATA II:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

There is a rebate which brings each drive down to 65 USD.

I was thinking of getting two of them and using a RAID0. That would give me 128GB for less than a single 128GB SSD. And I think a RAID0 will also increase performance. My motherboard supports SATA II not SATA III. It's a Asus M4A79T Deluxe.

I was wondering what people think. Am I crazy? Do I need to worry about the motherboard supporting TRIM or is that just in my OS? Should I be getting a SATA III SSD as it's backwards compatible? Is this a good brand? Any suggestions are welcome.

2. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    Couple of things....I would get a sata 3 just for when you decide to upgrade your mobo, there are many mobos out there that supports sata 3 and are in the $100 range.
    If you decide to do RAID0 you will get twice the speed on your SSDs.

Another thing is that ssd has the write speeds of a normal HDD...I would recommend the Corsair Force Series GT
    Its read and write speeds are very fast. Some ppl have had issues with the drive but seeing how you are on an AMD system you shouldnt encounter problems, these ssds perform better on AMD systems (From what Ive read).

As for TRIM, I think thats mostly software based...Im not too sure about that tho.

3. JoeSixTooth

JoeSixTooth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Thanks for the advice. You are right about the SATA III. I'll look for one, maybe a 128 GB one if I see one on sale.

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Just a note about TRIM, it currently doesn't work in RAID. So, you'd have to do your own drive cleaning using some other tools (which are available I just personally don't know of any as I don't use RAID with my SSD). And, yeah, paying a bit more today to get one of the newer SATA3 drives will be beneficial in the long run. Even if you pick up a new larger drive for a future system you can always keep it for games or such (or even to toy around with other OSes).

5. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Diskeeper's HyperFast feature can keep the performance of an SSD as well as a RAID 0 of SSDs in tip top condition at all times. Apart from the fact it will keep your SSD performance from degrading over time, you won't even notice it's running (thanks to InvisiTasking) and TBH it reallly does make a difference even if you do have TRIM, except on Crucial C300 RealSSD because that one uses a highly superior type of Garbage Collection (it's true, the C300 is the one and only honey badger in the world of TRIM versus no TRIM a.k.a. it doesn't have to give a ****).