IDE hard drive question

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Jonbajo, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    I have an old 400gb IDE drive with data on it. My system doesn't support IDE (and the controller card got sent back because it slowed down my boot time considerably). What recommendations do you have as to get my data on a different drive (and what kind? USB 3? Sata 6.0gb/s?) and installed on my system?? May be a simple question, anyway,Thx!!.................

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Just any 3.5" enclosure would work. I'm not sure if they are going to have a USB3.0 one with IDE my guess is not, but USB2.0 will be fast enough if you are only doing this a few times.

3. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    usb ide cable

are you referring to a usb 2.0 to ide/sata cable? if so will this slow my computer down the way the controller card did (either boot time or in Windows)? Thx!............

4. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg

5. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    If all you're trying to do is recover the data on the drive it shouldn't really be a big deal if it slows down your system, right? You just unhook it once you get the data off.

Brendruis was just recommending you get an external HDD enclosure that supports IDE drives and connects to the PC via USB.

6. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    Not really for recovery - mostly to make my ide drive function with my system.

Checked this product out. How does this compare to the usb to ide adapters (Vantec or Bytecc)?

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    that newegg link is broken

8. Jonbajo

Jonbajo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12gb
    The link refers to this:

Rosewill RX35-AT-IU BLK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure

How does this compare to the usb to ide adapters (Vantec or Bytecc)?

9. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    That Roswill enclosure looks like it will get the job done, plus you can just unplug it if you think it's slowing things down or want something portable.

I have no experience with the adaptors, but you could always try an IDE to SATA adaptor, which would get rid of the USB2 bottleneck and may speed things up. You could keep the HDD in a drive bay this way as well.

10. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Those IDE/SATA to USB are alright if you want to just retrieve data off a HDD but not recommended for long term use like what you want to do. I'd go with an external enclosure that way you can keep it connected to your system and have access to it any time you want. And this will not effect your system overall performance like that IDE controller card did.