packet loss as wired

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by MasterBash, Nov 4, 2014.

1. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    packet loss on wired

5000 packets on wired = 2% packet loss.
    5000 packet on 2.4ghz = 0.2% packet loss (probably due to ~30APs around me)
    5000 packet on 5ghz = 0% packet loss.

It has nothing to do with my previous post about university connetion, that issue is something else. Those are the packet loss I get from my Intel i217-v onboard NIC to my router, Asus RT-N66u.

I am not sure what is causing this, either my router switches or my NIC. I tried new cables, different ports and nothing worked.

So that leaves the switches or the onboard ethernet controller.

I will try to get a hold of a cheap laptop to see if it happens on that one too. However, I am wondering if its a cmmon thing to get packet loss on onboard.

Should I deal with it or add a NIC? Could it be some settings? I also use shibby tomato on my router.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Test with another device, and no its not common to get packet loss

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  4. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I can ping my router just fine, my university connection blows so running netanalyzer will simply say High bursts of packet loss. Thats another issue though and nothing related to my onboard ethernet controller.

I will definitely try to get a hold of a laptop to test whether its the switches on the router or my onboard.

I will post results soon. I wonder if there is a way to fix onboard packet loss? or is the only solution to buy a pci express NIC if that is indeed the problem? is it worth it for 2% packet loss? Am I better with a new motherboard instead of a onboard NIC? I am thinking about eventually using a pci-express SSD if they ever become affordable.

Already using a sound card and one of my slot I cant use due to heatsink

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

5. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I am using a very cheap netbook and it appears to be doing the same thing. I am guessing its the router, unless both ethernet controller are bad... Ahhh.

So I would have to try a new router I guess. If the router is indeed the problem, I will have to change it. =(

I am in the process of trying out all the ports on the router.

Unless its shibby tomato causing it, but I dont think so...

EDIT: My netbook has like 3-5% packet loss, even more than my desktop pc. It could be both controller. I am going to wait to test those things further to see if it evens out or something and test more routers, etc.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  6. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Its definitely my n66u. I tried both computers on a wndr3700 and everything was fine, no packet loss at all.

Now I am guessing my only options are...

1. Change some settings... Which one? I doubt any settings would randomly cause packet loss so I can remove that as a cause.
    2. Change firmware. I use shibby so I can try stock firmware once again or try Merlin.
    3. Buy a new router. AC68U seems good. I read that the ac87u has so many problems.

EDIT: The problem has been fixed. I had to clear nvram and reflash firmware. Problem went away afterwards. No idea why this happened but hwatever

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  7. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Ok guys, I was wrong.

Everything is fine, no packet loss until I plug my cable in the WAN port (running ping on LAN side only).

Is there any explanation for this? The WNDR3700 that my parent uses dont have this problem.

I doubt its ICMP being randomly dropped but who knows. It makes sense to drop ICMP just because the WAN cable is plugged in, while still pinging the same 192.168.1.1

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    May sound stupid, but probably your cable is damaged due to bending?

9. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I tried 3 different cables. Same thing. Unless they are all bad, I doubt thats the problem.

Besides, whether the cable is bad or not shouldnt change anything, as I am pinging the router from the LAN side. When I plug the WAN cable, I get packet loss, which I dont understand because I am pinging from the LAN side, not WAN.

It doesnt happen on wireless. It feels like there is some confusion between the switches and WAN port once the WAN cable is plugged in for some reasons... I dont know how the circuit is inside, but that could be it.

Edit: Still appears to be a shibby tomato problem, it doesnt happen on stock firmware.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014