MSI Afterburner 4.0.0 Beta 9(2014-8-15)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Aug 15, 2014.

1. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Hi guys, the Afterburner 4.0.0 Beta is ready for you to download. this version supports the control of NVIDIA and AMD graphics card and have more feature, if you get the card, you may try to play it.

This version is a release candidate, we'll spend some time on collecting your feedback then release it as final 4.0.0 in nearest couple weeks.

Changes list includes:

• Various parts of hardware monitoring module have been pumped up to improve hardware monitoring usability and flexibility:
    o Added layered monitoring graphs rendering mode. Now you may right click source graph in monitoring window, select “Attach” in the context menu then point to destination graph to attach source graph to it and create a group of layered graphs. This feature allows you to render as many layered graphs on the same grid as you wish. The colors of graphs in layered rendering mode can be customized independently of each other so you can easily identify them
    o Added multi-column monitoring graphs rendering mode. Now you can adjust the number of graph columns in “Active monitoring graphs” section in “Monitoring” tab
    o Added “Override graph name” option to “Monitoring” tab. Now you can rename the graphs displayed in hardware monitoring window
    o Monitoring history buffer size is no longer defined by monitoring window width. Now pre-history buffer size is fixed and stores the last 3600 samples (1 hour for 1000ms polling period) for each graph
    o Improved tray icon monitoring module:
    o Now you can select either text mode or barchart indicator mode for each value displayed in tray icon. Barchart indicator mode can be extremely useful for visualizing data like GPU / CPU usage
    o Improved Logitech keyboard LCD monitoring module:
    o Ported to new Logitech API to provide support for newer Logitech LCD displays
    o Added support for color LCD display of Logitech G19/G19s keyboards
    o Added graph mode support for color LCD display of Logitech G19/G19s keyboards. Now in addition to previously available text mode you can optionally select graph mode and see exact copy of MSI Afterburner’s monitoring graphs displayed directly inside the keyboard LCD. You can also press “Menu” soft button on your Logitech G19/G19S keyboard to toggle between text and graph modes dynamically in realtime
    o Added acceleration support to LCD scrolling implementation
    o Added larger 8x12, 10x12, 12x12 and 12x16 fonts support for text mode
    • Added “Regional settings” section to “User Interface” tab:
    o Temperature format settings allow you to switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit format for monitored temperatures. Please take a note that this setting affects temperature readouts only. Hardware related temperature adjustments (e.g. fan speed to temperature mapping curve for all cards or temperature target adjustment for NVIDIA Kepler series) are always being displayed and adjusted in Celsius for maximum unification, safety and compatibility
    o 12 hours / 24 hours time format settings allow you to configure time format for On-Screen Display and hardware monitoring window
    • Added “Enable low-level IO driver” option to the “Compatibility properties” section in “General” tab
    • Added SLI sync performance limit graph for release 340 and newer NVIDIA drivers
    • Display device enumeration implementation has been modified slightly to allow monitoring Intel iGPUs when low-level IO driver is not enabled
    • Improved handshaking algorithm reduces the risk of seeing multiple running instances of child processes (e.g. RTSS)
    • Optimized hardware polling for NVIDIA graphics cards
    • Optimized hardware polling for multi-GPU systems
    • Added SVI2 voltage control support via AMD ADL SDK to provide compatibility with future graphics cards
    • Added automatic prerecording settings to “Videocapture” tab. When you enable automatic mode prerecording session is being started automatically on each 3D application startup. Please take a note that in this case you can still use video prerecord hotkey to stop then manually restart prerecording session if necessary
    • Drastically improved skin engine:
    o Improved skin compiler gives more detailed error messages when skin compilation fail due to error in some source image file
    o Source image file format is no longer limited to 24-bit BMP files only. Now skin compiler supports all possible bit depths for BMP format and fully supports PNG format with alpha channel
    o Added built-in bitmap effect for extracting alpha-channel from PNG image files
    o Skin format has been upgraded to v1.3. New format supports alpha channel based transparency for skinned window, allowing skin designers to define semi-transparent skin areas, apply antialiasing to the skin window edges and so on
    o Added new skinned window composition modes support and “Skin composition mode” settings to “User interface tab”. New settings allows you to use one of the following modes:
    o Traditional mode – suits best for backward compatibility with existing skins and performance testing
    o Layered mode with colorkey - provides much faster rendering of skins with non-rectangular window shape and additionally allows you to adjust transparency of skinned window
    o Layered mode with alpha – provides per-pixel alpha channel support and advanced visual effects for compatible skins and also allows you to adjust transparency of skinned window
    o Skin format reference guide has been updated to v1.7 to document these changes
    o Improved implementation of rollback to default skin
    o Full skins cross-compatibility with other overclocking applications based on RivaTuner engine. Special GUI transformation layer allows you to use the skins designed for third party RivaTuner based overclocking applications and makes the process of migration to MSI Afterburner from such overclocking tools much more comfortable for you. You can keep the look and feel of your preferred overclocking application and at the same time enjoy extended MSI Afterburner’s features including full range of supported graphics cards, industry leading powerful and robust monitoring module, flexible video recording features and many more
    • RivaTuner Statistics Server has been upgraded to v6.1.3

Personal thanks goes to those of you who took part in closed beta testing program. Thanks a lot, guys. Private beta testing approach seem to be much more effective than public releases of each new beta version. So after launching 4.0.0 we'll continue testing new versions privately.
    Some features of 4.0.0 are demonstrated live here.

Download link:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Ok here we go now

Thanks !!!!

3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Nice,thanks !

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Good to see that the private testing is working out better then public one :thumbup:

5. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
  6. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    Hey, can you give a little more info on this part, please?

• Added SLI sync performance limit graph for release 340 and newer NVIDIA drivers

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  9. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    Dat changelog! :0

Awesome.

10. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Ok, the new LCD support on the G19 is f'ing amazing and I love it.

My only complaint with it now (this might fixable but I can't find an option) is that in the text mode it's a white background with black text, I preferred the black background with white text.

Is there a way to change this?

11. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    G19 keyboard! thats awesome!

now how do i set it up for my keyboard?

12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's new performance limit indicator, introduced by NVIDIA in release 340 drivers. It's a binary graph, which is flagged when GPU boost clock is limited by synchronizing cards in SLI mode.

13. Unwinder

Currently there is no way to invert colors in text mode, but I can add CFG tweak for that in future versions. BTW, you can switch between text and graph modes in realtime and even in-game by pressing the "Menu" soft button on your G19(S).

14. Unwinder

Check this video. It demonstrates how to configure G19 monitoring starting from 1:40.

Note for those who don't won G19(S) keyboard yet:
    In this video you can see window named "Logitech LCD emulator", it demonstrates you everything you can see in this keyboard LCD using MSI AB. This keyboard really worth purchasing it.

15. dgrigo

dgrigo Guest

GPU:
    TitanX
    Thank you for the new Update,
    I have a question : My R290x don't display RPM Tachometer values in Neither Version of afterburner 3.01 or 4 beta.
    Same thing happens with GPUZ from techpowerUp, The only hardware monitor that display this RPM Values always is HWinfo.
    Is there any reason for that?
    Will it Get Fixed?

16. Unwinder

Ask AMD driver team when they'll fix it. AB and GPUZ read tachometer via AMD driver API. There won't be special path for direct access to fan controller to bypass the next bad programming issue from AMD, sorry.

17. dgrigo

dgrigo Guest

GPU:
    TitanX
    Thanks for the Answer Unwinder, how then HWinfo read the value? I am just puzzled, I had a theory why they (AMD bugged this as you say) cause this happened at the same time they had to answer various Websites about the speed of fans and how they didn't expect so much variance.
    So I bet the numbers they provided was not accurate.. hrmm and so they just took they way, lets not display the rpm of fans. cause mines have to be in the 4.2k+ area to be able to dissipate the heat, and the numbers they provided was far far away from that.

I prefer you expose them, than let them hide the RPM. but its your call.. thnks

18. Unwinder

Reread it carefully please, bold part. Technically we could bypass AMD API and instead of that support dozen of different fan controlelrs to read them directly, practically it is a waste of work time. AMD's dedicated API for fan monitoring is not working and currently broken, it is up to them to fix it.

19. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    So - a version of Afterburner that allows you to drop in EVGA precision skins and have the functionality of Afterburner underneath?

Oh yes...

Thank you kind sir for this!

20. dgrigo

dgrigo Guest

GPU:
    TitanX
    Yeah, I got it Low lvl access and off-course its a waste of time programming wise, I just feel that somethings happen on purpose and should be exposed to public, like VRM temps, fan RPM's etc.
    I will not ask AMD or NVIDIA for VRM temps etc, feels its a waste of time too....

I don't blame you, I am more than happy for all the work you put on Rivatuner-Afterburner and is ace to have it.
    Only Voting with money moves things.. and that will not happen either.

Hope we will get some Benchmarking that don't relax GPU every 10 to 20 sec to recover from heat or noise in the future.

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014