Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Tablets and Smart Phones
Tablets and Smart Phones Got that new HTC or Samsung Galaxy ? Discuss mobile devices, pads and tabs here.

Old
  (#26)
getsuga12
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX870M
Processor: Intel i7 4810MQ, 2.8Ghz
Mainboard: MSI GT60 2PC Dominator
Memory: 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Realtek Audio Card
PSU: MSI GT60 2PC Dominator
Default 02-15-2013, 15:46 | posts: 4,358

Besides the Surface Pro, you've got slightly cheaper and better options such as the Acer Iconia W700 out (which has a longer battery life than the Surface Pro according to the reviews I've read)

But what really interests me is the convergence that's taking place. Despite what some of us may feel about Windows 8 tablet, there's no doubt that there's a growing interest in something that offers all the performance and capability of a laptop/desktop (from what i've surveyed from the people around me). Sure, the iPad and android tablets have productivity apps, but it certainly doesn't compare to what there is on Windows (or linux, I'm sure somebody is bound to install it on their Surface Pro/Windows 8 tablet). And with the haswells looming, we're bound to see thinner, lighter and longer lasting tablets.

2013 will be an interesting year with the focus on mobile computing growing. It will be interesting to see how Intel pushes the mobile market with the Haswell, and in the future it would be cool to see a smartphone/tablet/laptop/desktop truly use the same operating system.

Old
  (#27)
ibitato
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
Processor: C2Q Q9450@3.6 1.384v
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula
Memory: 4x2GB@1080 5.5.5.15 5:6
Soundcard: Supreme FX II HD
PSU: Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock
Default 02-15-2013, 15:54 | posts: 4,857 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuga12 View Post
Besides the Surface Pro, you've got slightly cheaper and better options such as the Acer Iconia W700 out (which has a longer battery life than the Surface Pro according to the reviews I've read)

But what really interests me is the convergence that's taking place. Despite what some of us may feel about Windows 8 tablet, there's no doubt that there's a growing interest in something that offers all the performance and capability of a laptop/desktop (from what i've surveyed from the people around me). Sure, the iPad and android tablets have productivity apps, but it certainly doesn't compare to what there is on Windows (or linux, I'm sure somebody is bound to install it on their Surface Pro/Windows 8 tablet). And with the haswells looming, we're bound to see thinner, lighter and longer lasting tablets.

2013 will be an interesting year with the focus on mobile computing growing. It will be interesting to see how Intel pushes the mobile market with the Haswell, and in the future it would be cool to see a smartphone/tablet/laptop/desktop truly use the same operating system.
acer iconia w700 is an amazing tablet, with full windows and real nice hardware and feel
also, w700p comes with pro
w510 is a bit small for my liking but its also a really nice tablet

RT is out of the cuestion if you want to be "productive" , that is
use full 32/64 bits Winodws apps if you want
w700 iconia is a full awesome 64bit PC

Old
  (#28)
getsuga12
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX870M
Processor: Intel i7 4810MQ, 2.8Ghz
Mainboard: MSI GT60 2PC Dominator
Memory: 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Realtek Audio Card
PSU: MSI GT60 2PC Dominator
Default 02-15-2013, 16:04 | posts: 4,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibitato View Post
acer iconia w700 is an amazing tablet, with full windows and real nice hardware and feel
also, w700p comes with pro
w510 is a bit small for my liking but its also a really nice tablet

RT is out of the cuestion if you want to be "productive" , that is
use full 32/64 bits Winodws apps if you want
w700 iconia is a full awesome 64bit PC
a shame that the w700 doesn't come with a type-cover like the Surface and instead comes with a bluetooth keyboard (can't imagine it being a joy to carry around a tablet and a mini keyboard separately).

As for the w510, it certainly is great when you look at the battery life, 8-10 hours stand-alone and 18 hours with the keyboard dock connected. Though it's a shame that it's using an Atom CPU (an unavoidable trade-off, in my opinion). Still, at least it's not too expensive, and while performance will definitely not be up to par with certain things, at least it's sufficient enough for general use

Old
  (#29)
ibitato
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
Processor: C2Q Q9450@3.6 1.384v
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula
Memory: 4x2GB@1080 5.5.5.15 5:6
Soundcard: Supreme FX II HD
PSU: Tagan TG900-BZ PipeRock
Default 02-15-2013, 16:11 | posts: 4,857 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuga12 View Post
a shame that the w700 doesn't come with a type-cover like the Surface and instead comes with a bluetooth keyboard (can't imagine it being a joy to carry around a tablet and a mini keyboard separately).

As for the w510, it certainly is great when you look at the battery life, 8-10 hours stand-alone and 18 hours with the keyboard dock connected. Though it's a shame that it's using an Atom CPU (an unavoidable trade-off, in my opinion). Still, at least it's not too expensive, and while performance will definitely not be up to par with certain things, at least it's sufficient enough for general use
that atom know is real 2 core.
there are w8 32/64 bits based on AMD z_01 that runs well