OC the i7 2700k sandy bridge

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Chinjao, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Chinjao

Chinjao Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon R9 270
    HI!
    I'm currently running the processor @4.3Ghz stable with 1.250v...

now i just want to incrase the clock speed to 4.5-4.7 but i doesn't know the safe voltage for my cpu...i hear the voltage a little bit different from 2600k.

my question is :
    1.how many volts for my processor running @4.5Ghz stable?
    2.my psu are corsair VS 550 is that enough for running with that voltage?
    3.My cooler is deepcool gabriel gamerstorm is that good for handle the higher temps than usual?

every help would be very appreciated:)

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I been running 1.45v for a long time (crap ocer), that is considered the max safe 24/7 voltage as long as temps are good. Anything under that is fine.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Only one way to find out.

Test it.

For you 4.3GHz overclock you should have 43x multiplier and 100MHz base clock.

43x100=4300 (4.3GHz)

and for that to be stable and within temp range you need 1.25v

Simply increase your multiplier to 44x leave voltage at 1.25v and boot into windows and test it.

If it fails test go back into BIOS and up the voltage to 1.255v (adding 0.05v or the closest your motherboard allows).

Reboot back into windows and test again.

Keep repeating this process until stable and temps are still within range (below 85C is a good target for todays CPU's).

Also remember to keep Windows Power Plan on "High Performance" when stressing CPU out, when using PC normally just leave it on "Balanced" and disable Core parking (windows 7 and below only 8 does not have core parking).

Also disable ANY thermal throttling features in BIOS when testing, like C1E, CSTATE, and EIST (you can reenable EIST once your stable).

Also, don't always just increase voltages on CPU (vcore) you could enable LLC (load line calibration) most newer boards have different levels of LLC. Just increase it to the next level up and test. LLC helps the motherboard to settle its voltages better, it may increase voltage or decrease them depending on what it thinks the CPU needs.

Also update your BIOS for better support and enhancements, make sure you revert back to default settings before you flash the BIOS as if your not stable when you flash you could brick you motherboard (which I have done in the past).

4. Chinjao

Chinjao Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon R9 270
    those voltage are too high buddy...don't you ever feel afraid with that voltage configuration?

Edit : for ---TK---:)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

5. Chinjao

Chinjao Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon R9 270
    i would try it tonight...but my psu is crap,is that okay if i'm pushing to the 4.5Ghz??and my cooler it's weird when i gaming at 4.3Ghz the temps is arround 67-74 degrees...

6. Chinjao

Chinjao Guest

GPU:
    HIS Radeon R9 270
    any download links for Gigabyte G1 sniper m3 mobo bios update??

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nah, never, its cooled by a megahalems rev b with 2 scythe fans in a push pull. You prob wont nead anywhere near that with a 2700k, my chip was boought at the sb launch in 2011.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You can reach 4.5ghz+ on any 2600/2700k, dont be afraid to rise the voltage. Like TK said, Sandy can be safe up to 1.45v if you keep your temperatures under control, this is not Ivy or Haswell.

10. nvanao

nvanao Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    1.41V is good for ~4.8GHz. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Not all of them are capable for that with HT, with HT rare samples are gonna end up on 4.3/4.4. I had some crappy 2600K and 2700K (among few dozens that went through my hands) that ended OC on 4.3GHz no matter how much voltage and cooling (heatpipe monsters & big AIO) I've gave them, although I've didnt try with LN2 because I don't have it.

But I agree with you and TK that 1.45V is safe for 24/7 with propper cooling, some big nasty heatpipe monster push/pull or 240mm/280mm AIO. Even above 1.45V, le't say 1.5V is safe 24/7 with some nice WC system, maybe chilled water...

Try to stay below 65 Celsius (I personally prefer 60) with HT and all cores stressed to max and you should be fine for years without signs of degradation.

edit
    4.3Ghz stable with 1.250v sound promising, but is that with or without HT? If it's with HT my bet is that you can easily reach 4.7GHz HT with Vcore between 1.35V and 1.4V.

edit #2
    This is your Deepccol Gabriel Gamerstor cooler?
    http://global.gamerstorm.cn/product/gabriel/
    As far as I'm concerned this thing is not looking good for 2700K OC above 4.3/4.4. There is not enough "meat" to suck all that heat from CPU on 4.5GHz+ Also keep i mind that summer is coming: higher air temps + add some dust on heatsink and that 2700K on 4.5GHz can easily break 70 Celsius with HT and all cores stressed close to max. Better change this cooler for something more decent/biger.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  12. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Ran My 2600K at 5.0GHZ for 1.46v for 24/7 for almost two years..Never Had a Problem..

Got a Photo on my Old Files..:D

[​IMG]

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Odellot, you still have that 2600k around? :D

At 5Ghz that is still a damn fast chip.

14. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Undying, I don't have it anymore..I sold it somewhere q1 of 2013 on a local Computer Buy and Sell Ads similar to Ebay..Last time I heard it still running fine..Though the owner never said if He run it at 5ghz also..

15. nvanao

nvanao Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti Classy
    WTF!?

But... i5-2500K@4.5GHz + 1.3V... and days or few weeks later... I got crash - BSoD. I increased to 1.32V... Still no any crash = better stability. :)