monitor loosing signal on drivers past 375.70

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Shabaco, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    having a strange problem, i recently upgraded to a gtx 1050 and did a fresh driver install. (lastest)

however i couldn't play games on anything but 1920x1080, i prefer to play @ 1280x720 to get a balance of visuals & fps

but everytime i switched the resolution to 720p the monitor / tv looses the signal but audio still plays in the background, i can also alt+tab and the desktop appears which is at 1920x1080

i tested switching desktop resolutions from the nvcpl and it caused the same signal loss prob

changing resolutions using the windows cpl worked fine though, no black screen

so i started going back a few driver builds and eventually found 375.70 and that worked perfectly with no resolution issues

so has anyone else run into this bug? i'm assuming it's a bug as i didn't start till i installed the lastest drivers, i also popped my previous card back in and tried the same new drivers on the same games and it still did the same thing, but 375.70 and below worked fine

2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Which OS are you running?

If the TV works at one resolution but not at another, it might not like what the graphics card is sending out. Is there an uncommon refresh rate for 720p on your display (custom 720p resolution)? On any TV i've used at 720p, I either have 59hz or 60hz (over HDMI). Also if there is any device in between the display connection (possible HDMI audio receiver/repeater?) just connect your PC directly to the display to troubleshoot.

A couple games that i didn't have black full-screen issues with before Windows 10 that I occasionally get now, are GTA V and Portal 1 (occasionally because it seems the game doesn't convey to the OS what its last display settings were and not sure if its fault of the OS, driver for the OS, or game itself).

So if you are on Windows 10 this might be unfortunately common with changes to how drivers provide the application with full-screen exclusivity (mostly due to how UWP apps work. They are essentially borderless full-screen apps, but can control vsync, etc. as if they were in exclusive mode for win32 apps).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. reizer

reizer Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Strix GTX 960
    i have the same problem