My build im buying end of the month.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by signex, Jan 24, 2013.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Sinds my study isn't starting till August, i'll replace my laptop with a desktop again.

I'm having this build in mind:

CPU: AMD FX-8320
    Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46
    Graphicscard: AMD MSI 7950 3GB Twin Frozr V2(i dont know why, but the 7000 series became uber cheap) 274 euro :banana:
    RAM:Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit
    CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B, Vengeance Blue, XMP
    Case: Aerocool Strike-X

I still have a PSU laying around and 120gb HDD, first have to sell my laptop to replace them.

All this for 628 euro total.

I'm hoping to play Crysis 3 on v.high/ultra settings.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    That board is not good for OC. It's heating a bit more (Northbridge), but it works extremely well. If you planing to OC past 4Ghz (for that CPU), then i would suggest you other motherboard. You can go for something like 40 euros more for MSI 990X(something).

If the price for that motherboard is over 60 euros, it's expensive. Only alternative is 990x or some Asus/AsRock 970 boards. Once you setup Windows properly, even that board is great, but forget about high OC.

For other parts i guess it's OK. If you don't plan to OC, you can't beat it for that price.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I dont plan on overclocking i think.

I already ordered the parts.

4. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Ok, here is a few advices as user of the same board. Make sure PCI latency timer is set to default 32 clocks (unless you experience some problems with other components, very unlikely).

2nd, Disable HPET in BIOS, update it to 1.11 (if not), disable HPC (High Precision Computing), set HT (Hyper Transport to 2000Mhz, don't worry it will not be slower), by default my NB is 2000Mhz, if is 2200 for you, i suggest you to test if there is a difference when you drop down to 2000Mhz, if is, leave it at 2000Mhz (again, same performance as 2200).

3rd, in device manager disable High Precision Event Timer under System devices.

Oh, i will just send you PM for important things you should do to bring that system to work very well. When you done, I'm sure you will enjoy, that board is very smooth.

PS, don't undervolt CPU on that board.

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm sure you mean good.

But i think i'll just leave everything default.

I can always do tho's steps if i'm not happy with the performance overall.

I will be buying SSD as well but only 60-64gb for Windows.

6. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Well, it is your choice, if you find yourself unsatisfied how system preforms, those are minor tweaks that will (on this board 100% sure) make things much better. If you use Ubuntu or other OS than Windows, it will work out of box without any problem.

Just keep this on mind when you get your system.

7. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    I would have taken an i5 CPU rather than the AMD.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Care to elaborate on that?

9. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah, sort of an odd comment to make and not give any explanation... doesn't really matter anyway, parts were ordered.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    The FX-8320 is pretty close to the new i7's, so im glad with my purchase.
    (saw a review on youtube with comparison screenshots)

Intel would have been too expensive for me.

I've owned a FX-6100, and it ran super with a 6970 lightning.
    Even with 6870 i could run BF3 almost ultra settings, except for textures and shadows.

Sadly i will have to keep the stock cooler for now, i'm broke now for 2 months lol.

My previous build before this laptop, i had a AMD X4 940 3ghz and 7870 2gb.
    Will i notice big difference in performance?

I'm really hoping i can play Crysis 3 smooth enough at v.high/ultra settings.
    The open beta is next week, so then i can test it. :D

I gues i could try Metro 2033, i haven't finished it yet.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes but you should really think about overclocking the GPU and CPU - both have an enormous amount of headroom, especially the 7950.

12. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm sorry I didn't elaborate. I thought it would have been obsolete as he has ordered his rig already.

I would have taken an i5-3450 or newer just because after some tests I have read and searched they are the optimal CPUs for gaming. They have enough room for OC, their heat and consumption are good and are decently priced.

The 8-cores of the AMD are not used by any game or normal application unless it's gfx rendering (so far) and specialty software.

Performance speaking, the new 8-core amd technology is flawed.

A source I can find is: http://www.techradar.com/news/proce...s/intel-vs-amd-which-processor-is-best-936589 (August 2012)

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How do you overclock a non K series i5?

Well it's not flawed so much as many apps don't take advantage of Piledriver's multi threading capability.

i5 is prob better for gaming but gaming is not a priority for everyone, also if you put an i5 and FX system side by side you prob wouldn't be able to tell the difference....

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Don't feed the newbz :nerd:

I tell intel fanboys around here that and i even offer them money. They have yet to show up at my house to prove me wrong.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry - I just couldn't resist. :D

16. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Well. Maybe before you call some1 a newbie or a noob you should do some research. I may be new at posting in this forum but not on PCs and hardware.

You can OC a 3470 from 3.2 to 4ghz on all cores with a bclk of 105.3. You can get a x40 on single cores but when multi cores are open it overrides the multiplier to a x38.

It might not be much for some OCs but unless you want water cooling or something more advance it's enough for any1.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-14.html

You wouldn't tell the difference from 60 to 100fps but the difference is still there.

"Apply cold water to burnt area"

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you think anything over 4Ghz needs liquid then you should prob stop now.... 4Ghz is peanuts. Even my Phenom II hits 4.4 on air, my 8320 does 5ghz.

So you agree that there is only a difference if looking at benchmark scores or FPS? Somebody who buys a PC based on FPS counters and benchmark scores alone really is showing a newbie attitude.
    I could produce plenty of benchmarks where PD blows away the i5 in certain scenario's however this has all been done before.

And gaming is not the be all and end all of computing btw....

Yes, you should. ;)

18. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Don't get me wrong.

I didn't say that gaming is all there is but let's face it. You don't buy a high end computer to watch youtube videos or movies. Unless you are doing video conversions, where you need a good CPU or rendering where you need a good CPU and GFX and RAM but if you do it proffesionally then you wouldn;t buy the 7950.

I agree that the difference is in benchmarks and you can't really see it but the performance boost is still there and no1 can deny it.

It's the same as buying a high end 7990 card to play a mid level game. I wouldn't see any difference comparing the 7990 to 650 but when new things come in front then that's the time that the card/CPU with better performance will take the lead.

As it comes to CPU OC, 4gh might be peanuts for you but I find it adequate. I think that comes down to personal opinions. For a hard rock OCer 5ghz might look silly.

Haha, I see you got it. ;)

Anyway, no hard feelings but I think you were quick to judge.

19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I might of bought this setup too fast. Maybe Intel was à better choice for gaming.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    For the sake of curiosity I'd be interested in comparing 3DMark11 results.....