7970 Eeyefinity connection advice (tearing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by petejk, May 25, 2012.

1. petejk

petejk Guest

GPU:
    MSI reference 7970
    Evening,

I've had an MSI (reference) 7970 with 3x 1080p TV eyefinity setup for a few months, which for the most part had been awesome, but I have in some games been bothered by the tearing problem.

Current connections to displays:
    Active Mini DP to DVI adaptor ----- DVI to HDMI cable ----HDMI at TV1
    HDMI ---- HDMI cable ---- HDMI at TV2
    DVI ---- DVI to HDMI cable ---- HDMI at TV3

However, to get a bit more graphics power and to try to resolve the tearing have just ordered an MSI R7970 PE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127677
    This is essentially an MSI R7970 Lightning without the overclock (AFAIK), and will give me the same graphics output (mini-DP) and HDMI input to TVs, HDMI.

My question is what connections to use. I have heard that I have to use one active DP adaptor, which I have in my current setup. Do I need to buy another 2 more plus another DVI to HDMI cable, or will cheaper passive DP to DVI adaptors do the same? ($5 vs $30 each on amazon).

Proposed new setup:

Active Mini DP to DVI adaptor ----- DVI to HDMI cable ----HDMI at TV1
    Passive (or active if necessary) Mini DP to DVI adaptor ---- DVI to HDMI cable ---- HDMI at TV2
    Passive (or active if necessary) Mini DP to DVI adaptor ---- DVI to HDMI cable ---- HDMI at TV3

Thanks for any insights!