MSI Afterburner APP 1.1 beta 1 (2011/10/24)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jul 25, 2011.

1. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Hi Guys,

After 1 week open beta and today we release the 1.0 official version of Afterburner APP on Android for you to play!

There are some known issues that we are still working on, but it should provide a great user experience to you.

Known issue:
    1. Support to multi graphics cards.
    2. degree c is shown as 蚓 on certain devices.

MSI Afterburner APP 1.0 can be downloaded here: (Includes apk and remote server)
    The pioneering Android overclocking utility “Afterburner APP” was co-developed by MSI and well-known software programmer "Nick Connors". The new Afterburner utility allows the Android-based smartphones and tablets to adjust or monitor Afterburner settings on PC over a Wi-Fi connection. In addition to monitoring the temperature, voltage and fan speed, the utility can also be used for overclocking and overvoltaging!

Quick installation guide:

Before you want to test MSI Afterburner APP on Android Phone/tablet, you will need:

1. A windows xp sp3 (with .NET 2)/vista/7 system with a discrete graphics card and is able to connect to internet/intranet.
    2. An android cellphone or tablet has wifi function. (the O/S should be higher v2.1)
    3. The system and cellphone or tablet can connect to each other over internet or intranet.

“RemoteServer” is a utility which should be placed in the system. Just make sure all files are under in the same folder.
    “MSIAfterburner.apk” is an app which should be installed in Android cellphone or tablet.

Make sure the system has installed the afterburner 2.1.0 or above version, and it has to be started so RemoteServer can read the H/W status through it.

How to work - Step by step:

1. Put the folder for RemoteServer on desktop for easy access
    2. Run Afterburner (2.1.0 or above version)
    3. Run "MSIAfterburnerRemoteServer.exe" to open up the RemoteServer
    4. Verify that the remoteServer is running in background
    5. Run Afterburner APP on Android cellphone or tablet
    6. Enter the system IP (you can find ip over RemoteServer) into the IP settings of Afterburner APP to make a connection of Afterburner APP and Remote Server.
    7. If the monitoring and OC funtions work properly, now it's time to enjoy it!

BTW, each clock/voltage/fan adjustment over afterburner app, you will have to press "apply"!

RemoteServer can be download from here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerAPP_Android_10.rar

MSIAfterburner.apk can be download from here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburner.apk

Or Use qrcode to download it:
    [​IMG]

========================================================

How to use afterburner app without turning off the firewall of windows 7:

[​IMG]

<2011.10.24 update>

Today we release Afterburner APP1.1 beta 1 on Android for you to have a try. This time we add some really useful and nice features such as "reset to default", and "profile switch". Please update remote server to 1.1 beta as well to work with Afterburner APP. If your current smartphone has installed Afterburner APP, please remove it and install the latest version.

Afterburner APP 1.1 beta1 on Android
    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburner_1.1_beta1.apk

Remote server 1.1 beta1
    http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerAPP_Android_1.1_beta1.rar

Change log
    =========================================================
    Afterburner APP on Android
    - Fixed issue where application may crash if device was rotated while the progress indicator is active
    - Fixed issue for certain graphics cards where memory clock slider may change inadvertently if core clock slider was changed
    - Added profile switching
    - Added reset capability

REMOTE SERVER
    - Added profile switching
    - Added reset capability
    - Added remote IP address to log for commands making changes to the hardware
    =========================================================

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. MSIalex

MSIalex Guest

GPU:
    6800 Ultra
    Hi everyone,

I'm Alex with MSI USA. Just wanted to chime in...

I just realized something as I looked at the app on Marketplace: the notes don't tell you to run the remote server file.

Here's what I did to set up the system in our office and at PDXLAN:

1. Put folder for Remote Server on desktop for easy access
    2. Run Afterburner (I used 2.2 Beta 4)
    3. Run "MSIAfterburnerRemoteServer.exe" to open up the remote server
    4. Verify that the remote server program is running in background
    5. Connect to host IP (do not use 127.0.0.1. On my network it was 192.168.1.2)

Using above steps, I was able to properly display a pair of N560GTX-Ti Hawk in SLI (and all the info was able to be shown properly)

I also killed Windows firewall just to make the setup easier. If you have custom firewall settings you'll need to config that yourself.

Hope this helps... and if you have issues with the app crashing on your phone, post comments in the App comment section so it can be documented!

3. bigb159

bigb159 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850 1GB
    Fantastic.

4. Eluder

Eluder Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Works great so far.

This is awesome!

5. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
  6. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    any news on iphone version?

7. timiman

timiman Guest

GPU:
    2xR9-290 Asus DCU-II
    I've come upon a problem using this app in my android (2.3.3).
    The O/C menu on the android is working just fine, but the Monitor menu is showing a message like "shared memory is dead" and I cannot see any measurements at all.
    I'm parallel using the .Net Dll found on http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=339656 , so is there a possibility that a conflict of these two applications happens when both trying to read the shared memory ?

Thanks for this great android app!!!

8. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Can you exit and then reopen the remote server application on the PC. Let me know if that resolves the issue?

I'll check into the conflict idea, but I don't think that should not be a problem. Can you tell me if you restarted Afterburner while the remote server was running and the Android was on the monitor page? If so, was this when you started getting the shared memory dead response?

9. msi-afterburner

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Will be released before the end of this year... coming soon!

10. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    very nice!
    but i had to disable windows firewall..even after manually creating exceptions for the exe.. the exe doesnt seem to show under TCPview. with its name, like most apps.. it uses a port created by the system process..so you cant just add an excetion for the program..you have to allow the port..

other than that its a great little app..just needs a hardware monitor graph and it will be perfect :)

11. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    that's fun but i don't ill use it. Really.

12. timiman

timiman Guest

GPU:
    2xR9-290 Asus DCU-II
    Today that I have tried again, I do not see the "shared memory is dead" message, even with the other application that uses the .Net Dll mentioned above. So, -fingers crossed- problem is gone.

Here is what I see now in the Monitor screen:
    [​IMG]

Something is broken in parsing of the xml data.
    Many values are wrong or missing. For example:

a. I do not see any GPU Temperature, which is visible in MSI Afterburner - "60oC"
    b. The GPU Voltage is even "0,000 V" or "1,000 V" - it is "1174 mV" in MSI Afternurner,
    c. the Core Clock is "0 MHz" - it is "880MHz" in MSI Afterburner

Maybe my Regional settings is to blame, because I'm using "Greece" ones.

If you want more info to resolve this/these errors, please do ask for.

Thanks.

13. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Wow, you get all the good ones :)

I just sent you a PM.

14. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    @timiman: probably coz you have an AMD/ATI card...the app and the exe are still very beta, they might not have support for team red yet..

15. timiman

timiman Guest

GPU:
    2xR9-290 Asus DCU-II
    The MSIAfterburnerRemoteServer.exe is just tunneling the readings of the MSI Afterburner to the android applet. It does not gain access to the hardware itself. So, it has nothing to do with AMD cards.
    If MSI Afterburner reads every sensor from the AMD card -as it already does- , so it should be the same with the android applet.
    It should be just a minor error on the parsing of the sensors data.

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    has anyone got this to work on a rooted device. im using liquid thundersense rom on my htc thunderbolt and the app crashes the moment i launch it. i also tried with Cyanogen mod 7 rom and it still crashes.

i reflashed back to stock os and it works fine. its actually pretty neat, but i refuse to have a stock os on my phone for 1 app. so maybe with a future release i can get this to work.

17. msi-afterburner

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    my LG P990 is rooted and works fine with MSI Afterburner app. :)

18. DJSmak

DJSmak Member

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB 1250Mhz
    When I start the remote server i got the following error messege...

I've not got a clue, help please :confused:

EDIT: Killing Skype got around the above message.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  19. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I debugged using the data you sent me. Thanks for sending it.

Indeed, it is just an XML parsing issue due to regional differences. The problem is due to the fact Greece uses a comma as a decimal place, not period. So a US voltage shows up as 1.175 while yours shows up as 1,175.

The only work-around I can offer until the next build is to change the regional settings on your host PC. Please note this change will also affect the complete OS.

Here is the setting to change (swap the , and . in these 2 boxes):
    Region and Language->Formats Tab->Additional Settings->Numbers Tab
    [​IMG]

After you do this and exit/relaunch the remote server, the remote sever will generate XML with a . for decimal places and the Android app will not error anymore.

Thanks,
    Nick

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  20. timiman

timiman Guest

GPU:
    2xR9-290 Asus DCU-II
    I thought so.

OK. I'm afraid I'll wait until the next version of your app, because I do not want to find out which of the other appls I'm using cannot handle a change of the decimal point.

Thanks.