Window 10 in Mobiles

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by TerrenncceJackl, Mar 14, 2016.

1. TerrenncceJackl

TerrenncceJackl Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    Is Window 10 beneficial for our mobiles and easy to use?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows for Mobile is very easy to use. It just lacks developer support.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A range of Windows phones is also light on. For properly modern phones you have the 950, which was released as a high end phone but is really only considered a low end enthusiast phone. The next step down from that is the recently release 650, intended for business customers supposedly, but that has a paltry Snapdragon 212. This is basically a 2 core version of the 4 coreSnapdragon 400 used in the Lumia 630/635/636/638 and newer 640 (which basically had just a different stepping of the same Snapdragon 400). So in other words, grossly inadequate by 2016 standards.

They'll never be successful unless they release a couple of models between the 650 and 950. Any phone better than the 650 shouldn't attract a high price though, it should be around the same price as the 640 was on release. Currently Windows phones run 32-bit OS, I think it's stupd that Microsoft didn't mandate that all new devices are ARMv8 64-bit, and run 64-bit OS. ARMv8 can run 32-bit OS as well, but according to Qualcomm 64-bit is noticeably faster. The Lumia 650 is only ARMv7 and incapable of running 64-bit OS.

So realistically, the only Windows phone from Microsoft that is 'any good' is the 950, which does have it's downfalls too, but better get it from a third party seller because Microsoft are selling it at almost iPhone prices on their website.

They can promote Windows 10 Phone all they want, but it is pointless if there aren't devices that people will be interested in purchasing. Without these the usership of Windows 10 Phones will be much less, meaning developers won't want to produce Windows 10 Phone apps, and the cycle repeats. Only through a well thought out phone strategy will they ever have a chance of succeeding. This means making great devices that are cost effective to the consumer, even if it means making less profit per unit. They could make the shortfall up in selling more units, and especially in the long term because they may actually keep the platform alive.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I've just ordered myself a brand new in the box Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Smartphone.

Though terribly old and outdated, it was bought for the fun of it. Used to own one many years ago and it was a joy to use.

It comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 pre-installed. However, I will run it with a custom Windows 6.5 rom...

I actually prefer Windows Mobile 6.5 compared to the current 10. More customizable, no restrictions, sd card support and far less restrictive...

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol, I used to have an HTC Diamond Touch WM6.1 or custom 6.5 :D

Couldn't get rid of the thing, gave it away, got it back, lost it, had it returned, eventually sold it on eBay, so far so good, it's not back yet :D

6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol, poor old HTC, for all the love it had for you in the end you tried to give it away? Maybe it was meant to be!

Here is what the Xperia X1 looks like:

[​IMG]

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Doesn't look a bad little phone actually lol

The HTC was horrible to use, it had a resistive touchscreen, not capacitive, and the screen was so tiny you had to use the little pen in the side, you looked like an 80s business man trying to make a call lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I has the Orange e650 which was Windows mobile 6.5 but with no touch!

http://www.alphr.com/peripherals/26588/orange-spv-e650-review

Was a nice phone aside from the fact that it crashed whenever you received a picture message. Loved the keyboard on it.

Prior to that I had a HTC touch version (no idea what model) for work for testing but the Director of the company saw it and stole it for his personal mobile.

9. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    @ Extraordinary, haha. At least be happy you got rid of the phone. However, ever heard of returning back to sender? Look out for it in the post. It may just return!

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Eventually, 3rd time lucky lol

If it comes back this time, I'm moving house :D

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Lumia 950 and 950XL are not high-end phones and were never advertised as such. They are mid-range phones, as advertised. MS has stated they have a high-end phone in the works but don't plan to launch it until later this year.

12. JacobVR

JacobVR Guest

GPU:
    2 GB
    After having my Surge for 6 weeks, I started getting a rash and open soars. Fitbit's insinuation that the rash has to do with hygiene is insulting, that it has to due with moisture doesn't "hold water here in bone dry Phoenix Arizona, and for them to suggest I go to my Dr. if the situation persists is equally ludicrous. They are simply trying to avoid another PR disaster like they had last year. If they are trying to launch an IPO, they should do the proper customer oriented thing, and refund the money of those who are having problems. I am not paying a DR. visit when the problem clearly lies in the product construction and the instructions for how the device is to be worn. Step Up FitBIt and be a responsible corporate citizen!

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I had the e650, which is also known as a HTC Vox

14. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    MS's own website lists them as "High End" phones and literally EVERY review / announcement for the 950 / 950XL list them a Flagship devices...

[​IMG]

15. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    To be honest for the time the 950/950XL were developed they were roughly the same spec as the Nexus 5X Nexus 6P 808/810 processor and similar RAM and screen size etc. The Nexus 6P id consider Higher end but the 5X (Which I have) id say is more mid range.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The 950 has high end pricing, but a lot of reviewers have put it into basically upper-mid. In computer terms it would probably be high end, just the Samsung S7 etc would then be 'enthusiast'.

There's a massive leap from the 650 to the 950. They could have made the 650 a lot more attractive by using a Snapdragon 412 instead of a 212, (or even a Snapdragon 425, the new version), and a battery like the 640 size or bigger (it's 20 percent less capacity than the 640). It would have been a very attractive, cost effective device for people like myself who do not need a Samsung S7 or an iPhone just to try and be cool. Sure, some people actually use the extra capability of those devices, but most people just buy it as an expensive form of bling that has an coolness 'expiry date' (being when the next model is released). Of course, some people just don't know any better.

What do people use phones for? Listening to music, watch cat videos on youtube, use Facebook and Twitter, some browsing, taking some pictures (that they think are better quality than they actually are due to the restrictive sensor size), or play the occasional game. You don't need the highest end phone possible to do any of that. If your excuse is that you need a good phone to play the most intensive games, then you haven't heard of a console or PC! If your excuse is that you need to take good quality pictures, buy a decent camera! You can do that with the price difference between the phones. Even if you upgrade the camera every 3 years you're still way ahead, way more functions, superior picture quality, considerably more storage.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  17. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    I'm not arguing either the 950 or 950XL are high end phones, Sykozis said
    I'm purely pointing out that this is incorrect, MS have been advertising the 950/950XL as high end phones since before their launch and currently still are.

18. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Well I suppose as far as Windows phones go they are, the old phones didnt need the higher spec really.

19. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I still have this phone sitting in its box somewhere. It was great to use back in the days. I remember i upgraded from that one to an HTC HD2.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I'd say for anyone contemplating this "upgrade" only do it if you truly are a windows mobile enthusiast and have a very specific set of reasons to NEED w10m, it simply is a work in progress, with this new mentality of "w10 is never finished" essentially promoting procrastination among w10 developers, the days of perfectly stable-smooth-consistent-reliable windows phones are gone, they even acknowledged this by releasing "official" w10m to a few lumias as an optional upgrade, but putting all the bugs and overall alpha status of this OS aside, for me it is a sidegrade, not an upgrade, it adds as much features as it removes from 8.1

now as of today on build 10586.164 the OS feels stable enough for daily usage but the core apps like photos, groove etc are severely lacking polish, its just insane to see 3rd party apps handling picture browsing more smoothly and reliably(just as one would expect on any modern phone) than the main photos app on the OS

I think by the end of this year they might have this thing working, but for now, be aware that this is a beta OS even if they don't specifically say so, and by working I mean w10 pc levels of "working" if you are familiar with how things are being done at ms recently