Fng

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IhatebeingAcop, Sep 12, 2014.

1. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Hi all, I am new here and this is my first forum involving PC components and software. I am looking to learn as much as I can about building my next PC in a year or two. I currently have next to now knowledge of what the hell I am doing. A friend originally helped me build this computer around a year and a half earlier. After 6 months of it sitting in a mid tower case, a small power supply and a weak GPU I decided I wanted to upgrade. So I swapped everything out and put it in to the tower you see. So as someone who doesn't know a thing about over clocking, PC building and all the lingo I am here to learn. Anyone who cares to point me in the right direction for that I will greatly appreciate it. In the mean time I will surf the forum for what is undoubtedly a place where I can find answers to all my questions. I am sure whatever I ask someone has asked before. All in all glad to be here and looking forward to becoming a semi-regular member of the community. Oh, last thing. My next PC isn't going to be just a pc that can handle the most graphically intense games. I want to go overboard with it. I want to get in to liquid cooling, custom cases, over clocking etc.... 12-18months later I will be doing this.

Best
    Adam

PS how do I upload photos without having a URL?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Welcome, you need 10 posts before you can post pictures IIRC.

4. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Thanks a lot guys. I uploaded the new stuff to my user panel profile. I don't know what I was smoking yesterday (legal mans dope aka Vicodin) when I listed my components. I know very well the difference between RAM (random access mem) and my GPU. I just couldn't recall the type of RAM in my PC but I looked it up by going through my amazon purchase history. As soon as I get ten posts I can't wait to show you my rig. I think I did a good job of putting it together myself a second time. Like I explained in the first post my friend pretty much did all the work for the original build. Then I realized I wanted a better GPU, which required a better PSU and in turn a bigger tower. So I did that swap, had my first taste for this stuff and I am SOLD. My PC still runs like a champ but I am constantly looking for what I can do to make it better. My next PC I am definitely going with a better MOBO. Even though this one has given me no problems, I simply want a higher end mobo. The only thing I am missing is I am pretty sure I have a **** sound card (or none at all) built in to my existing board. I know the higher end ones have the sound cards built in to them and they are usually good? I think. Still learning here.

That's suppossed to be 16gb or RAM at 1333mhz. Not sure why it says 1.

I don't know what this means but apparently users have experienced VRM throttling with the MOBO and processor I have. I wonder if I am experiencing the same thing? I think last I checked my clock speeds were something like 3.6ghz and it is suppossed to run at 3.8ghz. I haven't even tried OC or using the turbo setting in my BIOS. Which I can't figure out how to even start. When I go in to my BIOS the turbo setting is grayed out. So yeah. Don't know what that is all about. Once again thanks for anyone who takes the time to help teach me about this stuff. Highly interested and I think I found my new love/hobby.

Best
    Adam

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

5. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Bump! Anyone have a answer to the VRM throttling and how to speed up my processor?

I have a thermal take frion cooler that's so effn big I had to get a full tower to fit it. Let me chekc on Amazon to see which one I bought. My temps stay around 38 degrees celcious.

Thoughts?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  7. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Which revision is that UD3?

EDIT: IIRC it should be near the last PCIe slot.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  8. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I have recently heard that having the GPU closer to your CPU is best. Why does it make a difference what PCIe slot you put it in? Not second guessing you, I just want to learn why.

Also what do you mean by buy a new platform? As in brand new MOBO and CPU?

Best
    Adam

9. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Oh and I forgot to include what you asked for. That's the full length name of the mobo.

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    1st PCIe slot is always X16, others are usually lower 8x slot, ie half the bandwidth.

And by new platform, yes new CPU and mobo. if you had the newer steamroller ie 8320, it wouldnt be such a big deal, but an 8150 isnt the best CPU to be running with.

11. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I thought bandwidth only had to do with internet speed? Or are you implying that yea, I'll be dealing with a card that can handle half of the bandwidth from my net provider?

Thanks
    Adam

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You got a good rig there OP except for that cpu, can you sell that and get an 8320/50 and oc that?

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  15. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    You can go from building a PC to bios modding in a day. We're just stuck in this world. :infinity:

16. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    To the people not laughing at me! :p Remember my OP was about how I don't know a thing about pc's but I am trying to learn.

Agent-AO1 "what (insert link) LOL!
    Yes I don't know what all the parts do exactly. Meaning if you break down the archietecture and start talking about mhz and mn14 etc etc I get lost in the lingo. So bare with that fact. I know you were likely born with all the knowledge in the world about pc's but I was not.

TK
    I could most certainly sell my CPU and upgrade. Money isn't that big of a deal. I might just save it and put it into a older build that needs less graphic intensive programs for the living room.

At YecNot- Yes I want to mess with the BIOS. I want to squeeze extra performance out of my pc. Is that such a bad thing? I know I don't know a thing but take it easy fellas. I know I am a beginner, instead of chastising just spout out some advice like TK did.

Thanks
    Adam

17. IhatebeingAcop

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Sorry, should delete that post bc the LOL guy was actually giving me helpful advice before. My apologies for being overly defensive. :p

18. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    You can't delete posts but you can edit them.

It's beside the quote button.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I wouldn't worry about it tbh, we all have to start somewhere, all of us knew nothing about them when we first started. :)

I still don't know anything :D

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Sorry i didnt mean any offense but i genuinely laughed my ass off :)