Display res problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Corbus, May 9, 2012.

1. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    My monitor is 1920x1080 but in games(all) when i try to change the res to something lower like 1600x900 the res is stretched out outside of the screen...and 1600x900 is still 16:9 so i don't understand why this happens... i think this is a drivers issue because when i had my 570 i never had this problem, can anyone help? I tried using the monitor auto-adjust options but it doesnt work.

1680x1050 works...it is stretched to fit the screen since its 16:10 but it displays the whole image inside the screen..so is 1400x1050/1440x900 and 1366x768 and 1280x720 but thats just too low..even for me:p

I want a lower res in games like the witcher 2 because my gpu can't handle it at 1080p and i prefer to lower res than lower details. Anyone experienced this or has a fix for this?

2. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    forget any auto options, does the monitor have 1:1/stretch/aspect options?

otherwise, check the monitor scaling options in CCC, put it to aspect (or 1:1 to get black bars with perfect pixels, no blur)

make sure the monitor isnt doing something stupid either (things like overscan over hdmi, that would also be a CCC slider)

3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Hey, thx for your input but it seems i dont have such options.. my monitor is not very good and it only has VGA connector and i need DVI or HDMI for the scaling options it seems...But its strange that when i had an nvidia gpu i never had these problems, oh well , i'll plug my pc to the tv through a hdmi cable until i buy myself a better monitor or until i finish witcher.

4. Tief

Tief New Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 280 AMP! 1GB
    I've had problems with AMD displaying the resolution correctly on the screen as well. I corrected it by unchecking "Use Extended Display Data (EDID) or driver defaults". Not sure why that worked, but it did. I also only had this problem on an AMD card, the previous Nvidia worked fine.

LCDs, particularly cheap ones, aren't really meant to run different resolutions than their native (the monitor above I mentioned is a CRT, Sony GDM FW900, look it up to see why I still use it :) ). It's better to not run them fullscreen when using a different resolution, I'd recommend running in a window if possible (doesn't make the game too small, and it can be set to run in a window).

;)

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I unchecked that EDID thing and it did resolve the problem one time but now i dont know why it stopped doing that :| ... guess i could try running in windowed mode also

6. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    tvs are best played at their native resolutions-also, HD tvs are not nearly as good as computer monitors for good rendering

7. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    Look at how crysis renders on a tv screen and then look at it in 1200 P! on a monitor-that's all three Crysis