Version 7 issue

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by i7GTX550Ti8Gb, Aug 16, 2011.

1. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    since i can't find the info here on the forum, wich may be cause i can't search well enough, I got a question.

I goit the smp and the gpu client in version 7 runnin, after rolling back nvidia drivers for my graphics card, no prob there.

But in teh smpo part, when i use all myu cores, i get a overheated processor, (need to replace standard cooler..) but i though, no worries, i'l set teh cpu load to 50 %... doesn't work, i changed setting of the amount of cors to use to 4 , so now i throttle around 50% usage, wich is correct, since it has 2* 4 cores with ht and stuff.

Anuyone else testing this version and having similar issues?

Ty for replies :)

Me

[​IMG]

btw i use win 7 64-bit

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    ow and another q, can't find the becesary info, with the command versions and such, i can assin the "packets" between 5 to 15 Mb, can be i use wrong terminology, can i change that in version 7 aswell? so i get a bit smaller packs to calculate

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    the bigger ones usually work out better for points and efficiency, but yeah, i'd look into replacing the stock cooler asap.

4. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    didn't think it would be that bad... bt it looked really small when i installed it, so now i am sure :)

5. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    hey i7GTX550Ti8Gb the stock cooler is pretty crap if you have any problem with the v7 client one place to go if even we/us can not find the problem is the folding forums http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=67 remember that the v7 client is also in beta at the moment so there will still be bug to iron out and want t know about any bug you can find or even if you have any question.

nvidia drivers are a pain to work with aswell people have been having problems with the 550 ti http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=19293 and it is none about i think there coming up with a solution soon hope this help any more problem just ask:thumbup:

6. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The CPU Slider that is in the V7 is useful for UNI Slots. It doesn't work with SMP or GPU. You have to reduce the number of Cores to an even number for it to reduce the CPU load. Hopefully, this will be sorted out in the final release.

7. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    by rolling back the nvidia drivers the card is still wrongly recognized, but it folds, so that's a ghood thing, and now u people mention it, i thought that the cpu slider was for the smp part aswel, so u can change the max load per core or such, but, the most important part, i fold smp and graph card, so double working.

thinking about getting a cooler master V8 cooler, or the zalman cnps10x extreme.

not wanna install watercooler solution, cause then my comp takes even more room in the room :)

ty for the replies, and will check thoise sites out.

[​IMG]

8. Kaktus

Kaktus Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Welcome to the guru3d folding team! :)

9. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    ty, i took this team, cause i tend to visit the site regularly :)

10. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    ok, new issue u may or may not know about, i tried using fahmon, seems it doidn't work, found all the iles needed in the users folders, etc...

Seems that the beta version of FAH uses a different log file name, so FAHmon doesn't recognize it, checked it 2 times, and compared fah log with an older fah log i had ( tried installing older version first).

just so u guys know

[​IMG]

11. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Yep. None of the 3rd party applications are working with V7 now. Hopefully, they will be ready when the V7 is out of beta.

12. iancook221188

GPU:
    yer that most of the reason ive only moved one rig over to v7 client at the moment HFM.net does not currently work with V7

13. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    playing with smp gpu uniprocesssor

at this point, i am trying this setup :
    SMP 4 (50% cpu)
    GPU 0 100 GPU
    uniproc 100% cpu usage,

this setup gives me 60 % cpu usage, so i can keep the temp of processor lower, since i still didin't find the watercooler i am looking for to cool processor, so by this "system set-up" everyne who has cooling issues, can actually play around to get max effort with low temp :)

Just to inform u :)

[​IMG]

14. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    ok guys maybe a weird kind of question, i am running this version 7 bet lient, putten smp on 6 instead of 8 (max cpu usage), and gpu set at arond 85 % usage. seems to work poretty well.

Now should i change some setings to get the benefit from certin wu's? like the normal or bigadv
    quote from fah page :
    Before Preferred Deadline - You will get Bonus Credit (The Bonus varies from system to system and increases for faster completion and return).

I hav no idea wether changing some settings would give me those specific WU's, and or should i assign em to GPU?smp? and so on.

SO a bit of intel regading these settings and wether my pc :pc1:would be able to pull it of within those peferred deadlines would be rather helpful.

TY for any info , and i'll keep folding without flags at this point til further notice gfrfom u guys.

Btw the cpu slider in advanced mode works to get the gpu load a bit down. 85 % seems to be 100 % gpu usage,;so needed to p^lay around with these setings.:bang:

[​IMG]

15. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB

Ow and the system is running about 12 hrs a day, it's not a dedicated machine. just so u know :). seems this bigadv thing is causing more trouble then good for most people, so that's why i ask :)

16. iancook221188

GPU:
    i would say running bigadv is a 24 hour job it will get you more point but it need to be 24 hours to get the work done and sent back on time and to get the bonus. it would prob need smp7 i.e 7 core/threads. the work unit does require that you have and 8 core possessor that you do and then you can assign it 7 threads

17. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    so i am better of not taking those, cause i don't run it 24/7, :bang: should i then instead of bigadv assign the smp slot to big wu's instead of normals?
    and if i am correct it's done with the "max-packet-size big" in the smp client setting.

TY for reply already :)

[​IMG]

18. iancook221188

GPU:
    i don't no how to set it up in V7 i think panther did a guide in the folding forums on how to set the bigadv flag up, i think i selected smp when i loaded the client on. i think the packet size is to do with the size of work unit i.e smp unit small, medium, big.
    to do bigadv you would need both the big work unit set and the flag for bigadv unit.
    the 'big' unit will also allow you to get the big smp unit so i would still have that set

19. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Guest

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    so what i did now is added in the smp slot the "max packet size to big" and "client type to bigadv" i'll c where these settings make me go, if i notice these WU's tend to take more then a day, i might just put all back to default settings.

found some different setting flags here and there, but it's hard to find out what is better for each system, since i don't have a clue how long all these things take on my computer, but every bit ifo i get from you guys helps me along the path to ultimate.. "fill in what u want". lol

20. iancook221188

GPU: