new computer! firestrike/overclock problem though

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by MToguro, Oct 17, 2014.

1. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    sup guys, just got my new rig (in sig) up and running. so far it's awesome !

except having a problem with benchmarking

I overclocked my card using msi afterburner, everything seems stable works fine in games

but when I run 3dmark programs the overclock resets to stock speeds sometime during the benchmark.

it only does this with 3dmark, otherwise gaming and what not my overclock settings are saved.

just got the error

"Hardware device removed.
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" after the first firestrike test. GPU temps don't go above 45 and cpu around the same.

I think it's coming from afterburner switching the overclock speeds to default. how can I stop that?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Then its not stable, lower OC then test again.

3. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    lol smh. I just tried lowering the core clock 25mhz and 50mhz on the memory. kept mvolt at +87 and 112% power limit

test ran straight through. 12k score @ 1303/7912

I just figured if it was unstable it would artifact or show some signs, not just reset to default speeds. I guess that's a feature on the gigabyte gaming 970s?

I'm trying to get to 1350/8000 at least. should I increase the mvolt and power limit?

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There are many variables that kick in to protect your GPU if you go beyond specs, down-clocking is one of them.

Is that MHz the boost or core clock frequency? Coz with your card 1300-1325 is the max on the base core GPU. Boost will clock to 1450~1500 with 112% power limit.

5. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    1303 core clock. I ran it a few times seems perfectly stable at that

boost clock shows 1454

tried bumping it up to 1323 core / 7960 without changing the mv and power limit and it got the error and reset to stock speeds again

the error crash in 3dmark I'm sure is a result of afterburner resetting the clocks, which interrupts the test, does that necessarily mean it's unstable though ?

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah you will need the added voltage, of course. 1450 Boost is good, and your 3DM score is really excellent man. Anything and everything after a 1450 MHz boost is a bonus if you ask me.

However I was you, I'd rather settle for complete stability and don't drive yourself nuts over 45 MHz boost, you will not see the difference in gaming perf other then a few points more in 3DM. Again, your 3DM score is terrific.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BTW Afterburner does not change clock frequencies during the test, you card clocks down as safety feature meaning the OC is unstable.

8. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s

thnx :)

ya im pretty happy with it. huge step up over my q6600/8800gtx system lol

I got it stable now at 1308/7932. Anything above that is where it seems to get unstable without touching the power settings and I don't really want to mess with that too much

have my 4790k @ 4.3 right now @ 1.14v

don't think I wanna OC this too much though because temps seem to get real high on these chips.

they've never gone above 47 so far in max settings on all the games I've tried but on intel burn test it shoots up to 90-95c temps instantly, so I'm hesitant about running those for stability tests

9. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    are you using the stock intel cooler?

the temps should not shoot that high unless

a) insufficient cpu cooler or not seated properly

b) incorrectly applied thermal paste

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Holy moly that's hot - are you on stock cooling?

11. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    yeah I think it was the combination of both. I reseated the cpu, reapplied the paste (vertical line this time vs. credit card spread) and reseated the cpu.

max temps now are 70 on the same settings I was getting 100 at (volts and all)

see above lol

hyper 212 evo

I knew something was up. I thought i installed it well the first time but I guess even the slightest thing can make that big a difference

I looked it up all over online and saw a bunch of people with the same problem so I almost thought I got a buggy chip

thnx god :)

12. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    My max stable clocks are: 1293 core,1368 boost, 1720.5(effective 3441x2=6.72 GB) memory, 1.200v-1.3125v, tdp and power target 75w for my GTX 750, non-Ti. Firestrike score was 4026 with 344.48 drivers. I've gotten a 200 point increase since 344.42 and 344.48 were released. Hilbert Hagedoorn, thank you for your 750/750Ti review, I used it as a baseline for overclocking and bios modding for my card. :thumbup:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4489090

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014