Kind of bored with Planescape Torment

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by berkos, Apr 8, 2012.

1. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    I have tried to play this game for 5 times, i absolutely love its arts design its characters, the settings, the story...everything BUT the gameplay. i dont mind old graphics or wonky UI. Last week i even have read dnd 2.5 rule set to get myself into that mindset of mechanics.
    so i started playing got to the Sigil, made few conversations with NPCs and i just couldn't make it anymore. Maybe its too much dialogue which i dont find pleasing reading on screen, maybe i dont like the game doesn't hold my hand too much because im spoiled by every rpg released in the past few years...
    my question is: can i get used to it without feeling frustrated for wasting time trying to get in the game later on, or is there some alternative (haven't even played baldurs gate series which im waiting for "remastered" version), with similar story and setting.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I got used to that game. Story is just the best one what I have seen in any games.

You can also check out KOTOR1 if you have not played it.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I read a suggestion a while ago that, the game combat is so bad that you may as well cheat, because the story is worth it in the long run.

Myself, I didn't get very far, into some mines or caves in the north of the city, combat was so hard I gave up.

4. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Hmm, I'm replaying it at the moment and I'm having a blast. If you don't like reading you do have a problem though, so it could be that you're spoiled beyond rescue :p
    It does have a bit of a slow start, but when you get into it, you have to keep playing.
    Just make sure you boost that wisdom score to 25 as fast as possible, as that really helps with the story (and you get 150% xp with a wisdom of 25, meaning you'll level faster)

5. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    yeah im going with mage character, so i can solve quests with dialogue. i found that playing
    in one hour sessions is not so terrible on my eyes. i have widescreen fix and i play on 720p rez with 40% increased font size on my 1080p 24" dell.
    i wonder do you get many sidequests, is its easy to get distracted with too many of them? i ask this because i found its not reading or slow pace...For me this game feels like point and click adventure game, mixed with dnd, i really wouldn't have any problem playing it if it had just main quest with 2 or 3 sidequests per act.
    also the portal system in the game, how hard is it to miss or find portals, i carry stuff in my limited inventory because i fear i will miss on something if i drop things i dont currently need... for example i dont even know how i triggered portal in mortuary :D

6. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    If you're afraid you'll miss something, then be sure to talk to everybody and don't get lured into a chaotic evil killing spree. There aren't that many random portals, so if you talk to most people, you'll find them all. There are only a few items you'll have to keep the entire game if you don't want to miss anything:

The bronze sphere, deionarra's wedding ring, blade of the immortal and the decanter of endless water if you want to awaken Ignus (you can learn quite a bit from him, including spells

7. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    well i continued to play the game and it really just gets under your skin :D. how much time did you spend before beating it?

i just needed some kind of great storytelling experience after the empty void finishing me trilogy left in me, kind of sad i didn't finish the game when it first came out, i didn't know English enough to understand it :D

8. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    4070ti
    I guess around 40 hours or so to finish it. I took my time, as it was my third playthrough. The last one was in 2001 if I remember correctly, but I still remembered quite a few things. In the end the game feels like reading a book where you get to make the choices. The ending was really satisfying imho, not like some games these days :D
    The game feels incredibly complete, never did I feel that they were aiming for a sequel and they were just filling it with extra content to get to that 40 hours of gameplay. Everything felt like it had meaning.

When I first played it, I played it like a Baldur's Gate-like game, which caused me to miss a lot. You really have to play it like a book and read everything, so I can understand that when your english isn't the best you won't get the most out of it. I hope you'll do now :)