Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
  2. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    otay I'll post up the 7 again;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

picking it up in about 2 weeks. PO says the engine doesn't run, but doesn't know exactly what's wrong with it. Might be a cheap fix, whole engine might need a rebuild. No clue as it's a rotary with 171k miles.

3. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    It really depends on the make and model of the older vehicle. Some people think that they are untouchable in something that is older and heavier, but that is not always true. The general mentality of older car crash safety was to build them to withstand impact (without the technology that is used today) whereas now you have cars that can absorb and withstand them and protect you with airbags.

That doesn't mean all older cars are unsafe, but you are typically safer in a newer vehicle that has the advantage of airbags.

1967 Buick Wildcat--estimated impact was between 75-100mph

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The driver lived and is fine today but was in the hospital for 4 days. If shoulder belts had been the norm back then he would have been a lot better off. Only noticeable interior damage is the steering column.

Three people in the 94 Dodge Intrepid (a car with 4 star ratings) were killed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    That RX7 is adorable Cartman372, really!
    I hope you will be able to fix it, it would be a shame to let a nice car like that rot. :)

5. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Well I don't know if I'd call it adorable lol, but thanks :D

Oh I'll definitely be able to get it fixed. If the engine ends up being beyond repair, I'll head down to a place here in NJ called JPR Imports and have them work on it.

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Rotaries are easy to rebuild unless something is hideously broken, you would save a bucketload of cash if you did it yourself!

7. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I'm not gonna lie...I know essentially nothing about rotaries. I mean I know how they work, but I know nothing about how to build/rebuild one.

Good learning experience though.

And you're right, I would save a bucketload of cash.

The plans are if the engine needs a slight fix, fix it and run it as is. If the engine needs a whole rebuild. I'm shooting for turbocharged and around 300-350hp.

EDIT: Also picking up a Turbo II hood ,Turbo II intercooler and a set of Turbo II wheels. It'd be nice to be able to use the TII Intercooler when/if I go over to turbo power, but we'll see what happens.

Hood;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Intercooler;
    [​IMG]

Wheels;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
  9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hmm... my Accord is still using way too much oil, so it couldn't have been the valve seals.

Is it possible that it's leaking oil through the head gasket from an oil channel into a cylinder? I already have a new head gasket lying around but I'm not taking on that job myself. I will get a compression test done this week, but I'm guessing that won't tell me if it's the head gasket or the piston rings?

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Have you pulled the plugs? If it's the head gasket it would usually only show on one or two adjacent cylinders. Maybe your PCV is blocked?

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah I started thinking about the PCV valve myself. A blocked valve will create excess pressure, right? Because I just got oil leaking into the spark plug holes and from the valve cover seal. The valve cover itself looked nasty when took it off. I've changed all the seals and o-rings and that seems ok now, but still... The PCV valve is positioned on top of the valve cover in this engine.

I'm gonna get that checked out tonight.

12. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Mah ride:
    [​IMG]

13. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Well unfortunately it gets a little complex. You can do the compression check. Look for two adjacent cylinders with low compression. The general rule of thumb for GM and Ford is that the cylinder with the weakest compression should be no less than 75% of the maximum cylinder. I would assume that Honda would require the same. Two adjacent cylinders would leave me to believe that it is most likely a head gasket...but it may not be.

A wet compression test can help to find ring problems. You will pour a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole and then check compression again.

Guys will argue about the validity of a wet compression test, whether testing should be done hot or cold, the pistons must be level, etc. Those who say it does not will want you to do a leakdown test in which you would need an air compressor and a tester. This is the method that a garage would do, the former being more of a poor-man's way of doing things. I would try it and look for any dramatic increases. I can't give you a number to look for on how much % increase you would have due to worn rings because I simply do not know. Even on a fresh engine build, you will get a higher reading with a "wet" test because that is part of what the oil is doing in the cylinder to begin with.

Without doing a leakdown test and having the gauge for that, you can manually turn the crank until the piston you are testing reaches TDC. The valves should be closed at this point. Spraying the compressed air into the spark plug hole can show valve leaks as you would have air coming out of your intake, carburetor, etc.

Is this an overhead cam engine?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes, it's a SOHC engine.

About compressed air though. I changed the valve seals without taking the head off by connecting an air compressor to the plug holes to keep the valves up. While you could clearly hear some air leaking (on all cylinders), we attributed that to general wear and tear. I don't think you can expect an old engine to be air tight around the pistons with the amount of air pressure we used.

The compression test will be done by a friend who's a mechanic by profession. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, haha.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

16. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    VICTORY!!

[​IMG]

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ... somehow i don't think that'll work....

18. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    The engine, buddy. The engine is in it now. ;)

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Doesn't look straight...did you properly bolt it in?

20. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The L engines always sit at an angle.

looking good MM10X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.