Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Win10 woes have begun. Cannot even boot to safe mode!
Old
  (#1)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Thumbs down Win10 woes have begun. Cannot even boot to safe mode! - 08-06-2017, 19:21 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

So last night I was using my PC in gaming and internet browsing Bliss as always. I wake today to fire up my computer to find that Windows 10 cannot boot. I think no worries, I'll boot into safe mode and get it back up and running. I cannot get there. Windows 10 doesn't have an F key to boot into safe, and it automatically tries to repair itself after so many attempts of loading. Mine will say "preparing automatic repair", but it is never successful. Whenever I get to automatic repair, it goes to a black screen.

I made the mistake of not preparing a Windows 10 boot drive, so now it seems I am Sol. Any tips or advice how to get up and running? Or do I flat-out need a Windows 10 boot disk? The best I have on hand Is Win 7

Old
  (#2)
KissSh0t
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS RX 470 Strix Gaming
Processor: AMD FX 8320
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 08-07-2017, 00:35 | posts: 5,087 | Location: 0.0.0.0

You could use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a bootable disc? or... I think you can make bootable USB with it as well.. someone correct me if I am wrong..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

Or you could download an ISO from here https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php

Old
  (#3)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 08-07-2017, 13:31 | posts: 3,535 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Theoretically speaking you can boot from Win7 or Win8 boot image and invoke some troubleshooting. For example - to invoke the BCDEDIT command to boot to safe mode by default
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-forc...e-mode-2625163

Old
  (#4)
The Goose
Maha Guru

Videocard: Evga 1070FTW
Processor: i5 6600k/H110gt aio
Mainboard: Asus z170 gamingPro
Memory: 16gig ddr4 Corsair V@3200
Soundcard: O/B + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Default 08-07-2017, 13:43 | posts: 1,910 | Location: shropshire,UK

Keep forcing a reboot and you should get windows repair screen

Old
  (#5)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-07-2017, 15:28 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

I am really beginning to suspect hard drive failure here. I went into the BIOS and set it to boot from my DVD ROM , because I have a Windows 7 disk. It couldn't even boot from that! The windows logo just spun. My main Drive is a 6 year old OCZ vertex SSD. I really haven't checked my read and writes # on it and I've gotten no warning signal from my Asus mobo. If the hard drive failed, wouldn't I get The Tell-Tale beep? Or does that not happen with an SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissSh0t View Post
You could use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a bootable disc? or... I think you can make bootable USB with it as well.. someone correct me if I am wrong..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

Or you could download an ISO from here https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php
I considered that too, but I don't have a PC to do this on. I am on the forums Via mobile phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goose View Post
Keep forcing a reboot and you should get windows repair screen
Been there, done that. It repairs itself right into a black screen.

Old
  (#6)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 08-07-2017, 15:33 | posts: 17,734 | Location: 127.0.0.1

I think your best option is to borrow a PC and make a Win 10 USB/DVD

You must know someone else with a machine?

That way you can boot to the recovery options, and also reinstall Windows

Old
  (#7)
Agent-A01
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080Ti H20
Processor: i7 5930K 4.7GHz H20
Mainboard: ASUS X99-AU31
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 3200C12
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus
PSU: EVGA P2-1200W
Default 08-07-2017, 16:42 | posts: 9,605 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
If the hard drive failed, wouldn't I get The Tell-Tale beep? Or does that not happen with an SSD?
Post beeps on a hard drive or ssd?
That's not possible.

Old
  (#8)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-07-2017, 21:50 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
I think your best option is to borrow a PC and make a Win 10 USB/DVD

You must know someone else with a machine?

That way you can boot to the recovery options, and also reinstall Windows
I thought that as well, but there may be another issue. As I was mentioning, I cannot boot off of a Windows 7 disc. I have power to all drives, but it will not boot from disk. I'm guessing the Windows 7 recovery options are not compatible with Windows 10....

Most of my local friends have mac, so I might have to eat the bench fee on this one. I'm running out of options

Old
  (#9)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 08-07-2017, 21:56 | posts: 17,734 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
I thought that as well, but there may be another issue. As I was mentioning, I cannot boot off of a Windows 7 disc. I have power to all drives, but it will not boot from disk. I'm guessing the Windows 7 recovery options are not compatible with Windows 10....

Most of my local friends have mac, so I might have to eat the bench fee on this one. I'm running out of options
You should be able to boot from any install media no matter what OS is installed, a hardware issue could be preventing it, try disconnecting the OS drive and see if you can boot from the Win 7 disk

Old
  (#10)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-07-2017, 22:12 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

^ okay. It would probably help to explain some of the things I've already tried. I've switched the boot Drive in the Bios, to boot from CD. When I attempted to, it showed read the CD, but did nothing and windows sign kept drivers appear to be loading because I'm getting power and functionality to my USB.

This just in, a buddy of mine has Windows 10 not far from here! I could make a boot disk. Would you recommend thumbdrive extraordinary? Giving my computer's failure booting from win 7 disk?

Old
  (#11)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 08-07-2017, 22:15 | posts: 17,734 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
^ okay. It would probably help to explain some of the things I've already tried. I've switched the boot Drive in the Bios, to boot from CD. When I attempted to, it showed read the CD, but did nothing and windows sign kept drivers appear to be loading because I'm getting power and functionality to my USB.

This just in, a buddy of mine has Windows 10 not far from here! I could make a boot disk. Would you recommend thumbdrive extraordinary? Giving my computer's failure booting from win 7 disk?
You got secure boot enabled in the BIOS? That would cause boot problems unless the install media is FAT32 / UEFI (Not sure if Win 7 even supports it tbh)

Try enabling CSM in the BIOS and boot from the Win 7 disk again

Yea might as well use a thumbdrive, fastest way to install

Old
  (#12)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-08-2017, 02:24 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Well, i cant go back to the previous version and startup repair also fails.

These are the results ive gotten with a Win10 boot drive, fresh from my friends place. I was able to get some recovery options, but none of them work. I cant even choose "system restore" because it errors and asks me to reboot and specify which windows installation to restore. Since i cannot access these options from the boot disc w/out system files, it wont work. Sweet baby Jesus, i just want in safe mode lol ugh. Im going to try your recommendations with my Win 7 disc, either that or attempt to create another restore drive but this time with full system files (8gb).

Last edited by DSparil; 08-08-2017 at 02:39.

Old
  (#13)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 08-08-2017, 09:16 | posts: 17,734 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Well, i cant go back to the previous version and startup repair also fails.

These are the results ive gotten with a Win10 boot drive, fresh from my friends place. I was able to get some recovery options, but none of them work. I cant even choose "system restore" because it errors and asks me to reboot and specify which windows installation to restore. Since i cannot access these options from the boot disc w/out system files, it wont work. Sweet baby Jesus, i just want in safe mode lol ugh. Im going to try your recommendations with my Win 7 disc, either that or attempt to create another restore drive but this time with full system files (8gb).
If you clean install Windows 10 but choose NOT to format or delete any partitions, it will leave your entire old Windows install in C:\Windows.old so you can copy any files you want from there to backup

For future reference (I assume it still works) you can enable the F8 safemode options again using this command

Elevated Command Prompt:

Enable:
Code:
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
Disable:
Code:
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

If you can reach the command prompt from recovery options you might be able to set it there

Last edited by Extraordinary; 08-08-2017 at 09:19.

Old
  (#14)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default 08-08-2017, 10:45 | posts: 3,535 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
If you clean install Windows 10 but choose NOT to format or delete any partitions, it will leave your entire old Windows install in C:\Windows.old so you can copy any files you want from there to backup
In Win7 installer there was mode of installation - repair. It was selectable by some "press some key to show options" or something. I don`t know whether Win8 and Win10 have such mode, but this mode should just correct corrupted files and settings.

Old
  (#15)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 08-08-2017, 10:57 | posts: 17,734 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk1969 View Post
In Win7 installer there was mode of installation - repair. It was selectable by some "press some key to show options" or something. I don`t know whether Win8 and Win10 have such mode, but this mode should just correct corrupted files and settings.
Yea a repair installation, can vaguely remember that, not sure I ever used it tbh

In-place upgrade would do a similar job but you need to be booted into windows to initiate the upgrade, you can only clean install if you boot from the install media (Or repair install if it is still supported)

Maybe try bootrec /fixmbr or /RebuildBcd type commands from CMD using the boot disk recovery options

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-...nd-prompt.html

Last edited by Extraordinary; 08-08-2017 at 10:59.

Old
  (#16)
kastriot
Master Guru

Videocard: Z-AMP.extr-GTX980 1.5GHz
Processor: X5650@4GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Memory: Avexir&GSkill 24GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 08-08-2017, 11:49 | posts: 761 | Location: Kosovo/Pristina

If you don't do regular backups for entire boot disk with acronis and other tools or using raid 1 for system hdd then you are deserving what had come to you so good luck my friend.

Old
  (#17)
Lane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
Processor: I7 4930K H2o EK Supremacy
Mainboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
Memory: G-Skill C9 2133mhz 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium HD + SP2500
PSU: CM 1000W
Default 08-08-2017, 12:10 | posts: 6,355 | Location: Switzerland

Shift+F8 dont work when booting ?... In fact i know that with 10 the problem than it boot so fast, than it is hard to enter thoses keystroke. ( but they are still there ( this will load the repair, safe mode options at start ).

best way was still fail start:

Quote:
If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode. Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode. To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the reset or the power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 4 seconds to force the power off. When your Windows 10 PC enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is “Preparing Automatic Repair.”
But, if you cant really boot on anything, have you try check hardware ? ( ram, etc.. )

Last edited by Lane; 08-08-2017 at 12:13.

Old
  (#18)
mmicrosysm2
Member Guru

Videocard: 8 MB SDRAM
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: Packard Bell
Memory: 16MB EDO
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 08-08-2017, 14:20 | posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastriot View Post
If you don't do regular backups for entire boot disk with acronis and other tools or using raid 1 for system hdd then you are deserving what had come to you so good luck my friend.
Wow worded a little harsh but yes if you use Windows 10 and do not back up/image, you’re in a world of hurt.

Old
  (#19)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-11-2017, 01:01 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Ok, ive made some serious headway in the troubleshooting department! And sadly, its not looking good and is pointing to some hardware failure. I've exhausted all recovery options with a fresh Win10 boot drive with system files. Every usable option and recommendation I was able to try from here has failed.

To rule out the SSD as the issue, I uninstalled it entirely and popped in an old Windows 7 loaded WD SATA drive I had in storage. It wouldnt boot! When trying to F8 boot into safe mode on that drive, it starts as expected and stops sharply @ disk.sys. i can get no further. Keep in mind, this is on the completely diff drive with diff OS that worked in my old PC. Any idea what that could mean?

Last edited by DSparil; 08-11-2017 at 03:06.

Old
  (#20)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 08-11-2017, 18:35 | posts: 10,003

I'd try a different sata cable or a different hd controller if you have one on your motherboard (asmedia or marvell whatever).

Old
  (#21)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080TI
Processor: Intel I7 6770K
Mainboard: ASUS STRIX
Memory: 16GB DD4 2133 MHz
Soundcard: EDIFIER LUNA ECLIPSE Red
PSU: 1000
Default 08-12-2017, 10:29 | posts: 20,718 | Location: Turkey

I have same issue all of a sudden. There was a big windows update. I clocked it to midnight. I did same at office pcs and laptops. No issues there. But home pc black screen with spinning windows icon u k own stuck. Since last night it does same. And tried rest button same same same. Why? I can't enter safe mode too. Let me read what is written here to solve my issue.

Old
  (#22)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2017, 15:53 | posts: 20,718 | Location: Turkey

Anyone can help me please. I am in the safe öde now. What to do here? I entered os 10 in safe mode but no idea where to fix what to do.

Old
  (#23)
mmicrosysm2
Member Guru

Videocard: 8 MB SDRAM
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: Packard Bell
Memory: 16MB EDO
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 08-12-2017, 16:01 | posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bigtime View Post
Anyone can help me please. I am in the safe öde now. What to do here? I entered os 10 in safe mode but no idea where to fix what to do.
See if you can do a system restore since you are in safe mode. Sounds like the update messed something up.

Also may want to do a chkdsk.

Old
  (#24)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2017, 16:08 | posts: 20,718 | Location: Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmicrosysm2 View Post
See if you can do a system restore since you are in safe mode. Sounds like the update messed something up.

Also may want to do a chkdsk.
When I click windows restore screen it disappears. Can't access it. Also teed troubleshooting. It found service registration is missing or corrupt. Error. Fixed it. I restarted pc but still same hanging circling logo. Ffs.

On Google I found that if u press and bold power button a few times pc boot sin menu for repair etc. I entered there tried restore pc there. Saying no restore point. Tried reset of. It days no enough space.

Old
  (#25)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2017, 16:13 | posts: 17,734 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bigtime View Post
When I click windows restore screen it disappears. Can't access it. Also teed troubleshooting. It found service registration is missing or corrupt. Error. Fixed it. I restarted pc but still same hanging circling logo. Ffs.

On Google I found that if u press and bold power button a few times pc boot sin menu for repair etc. I entered there tried restore pc there. Saying no restore point. Tried reset of. It days no enough space.
Remove the last Cumulative Update if it lets you, might have to use command line

Some command lines here you can try
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Replace the KB with the last one installed

Removing the CU will probably take your Win 10 back to 15063.0 so you'll need to find a link to the previous CU before this one that broke things