Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Hardware not supported by manufacturer may be ineligible for future Win 10 updates
Old
  (#1)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
Processor: FX-8350@4.8 H80iV2 Corsai
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: On board Realtek
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default Hardware not supported by manufacturer may be ineligible for future Win 10 updates - 07-27-2017, 04:35 | posts: 2,358 | Location: Canada

Urls with details:

Quote:
Microsoft Confirms That Windows 10 Will Cut Off Devices with Older CPUs

This is mostly a follow-up to that story about the Creators Update not working on Clover Trail systems: Microsoft has confirmed that any hardware device that falls out of the manufacturer’s support cycle may be ineligible for future Windows 10 updates. Some are worried that this could be a fundamental shift in policy; any device (e.g., processor, network controller, sound card) that a manufacturer discontinues or fails to actively support could conceivably drop out of Windows updates.

...Microsoft’s language opens up the possibility that any unsupported hardware device could be excluded from future Windows 10 updates. "Recognizing that a combination of hardware, driver and firmware support is required to have a good Windows 10 experience, we updated our support lifecycle policy to align with the hardware support period for a given device," Microsoft said in a statement. "If a hardware partner stops supporting a given device or one of its key components and stops providing driver updates, firmware updates, or fixes, it may mean that device will not be able to properly run a future Windows 10 feature update."
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07...y_for_some_pcs

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07...ces_older_cpus

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32097...lder-cpus.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...e-on-some-pcs/

Last edited by Watcher; 07-27-2017 at 04:39.

Old
  (#2)
TheDeeGee
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Crucial Ballistix LP 16GB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 07-27-2017, 15:04 | posts: 5,079

Sooo if my motherboard goes EOL (which i'm sure it already has) i have to spend 600 Bucks on a new Mobo, RAM and CPU to keep my OS updated?

I now see the benfits of being a Console Peasant.

Old
  (#3)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 07-27-2017, 22:03 | posts: 1,804

All the blowback will be based in that they have changed policy on old hardware support. Unfortunately the whole argument against Apple needing one to upgrade hardware to get the next iteration is being abandoned. Can't beet 'm, join 'm.

How many people complain that they need to upgrade their phone to get the next version of Android? Ios? What is so different from a pc perspective. The hardware does not all of a sudden stop functioning because the os version no longer adds in new functionality and/or newer hardware support. W7 does not natively handle usb. Situations like that will never occur going forward. Getting that functionality going forward may carry a prerequisite to upgrade base hardware as well. Intel forces one to upgrade mainboards to use their new cpus...where is all the fire and brimstone for that? This is just the new course going forward. How often this new course will be bumped up against has yet to be seen.

Old
  (#4)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default 07-28-2017, 00:01 | posts: 7,565 | Location: USA

MS has make people change there hw to make more money off there already expensive OS

Old
  (#5)
nick0323
Maha Guru

Videocard: Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
Processor: i5 2500k / 4.8GHz @1.36v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Gen 3
Memory: Corsair Ven 4x4GB 1866MHz
Soundcard: Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 07-28-2017, 22:15 | posts: 841 | Location: Old England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
MS has make people change there hw to make more money off there already expensive OS
Eh? Did you read the article or any of them on other sites? The blame is with Intel and their budget Atom chips which are EOL, not Microsoft.

Old
  (#6)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 07-29-2017, 18:16 | posts: 7,565 | Location: USA

last i check MS is the one that has to put those changes into the OS, Intel might be the cause but MS approved it and went head with it, which for them is great means more people or forced to buy new hw and new os license especial if it was working with previous build of win 10 but no longer does.

Last edited by tsunami231; 07-29-2017 at 18:30.

Old
  (#7)
Clouseau
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 Gamming
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Memory: F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic SSR-1200PD
Default 07-29-2017, 21:40 | posts: 1,804

^ That is exactly the essence of the old argument why one should have a pc vs mac. No longer the case it seems. This is exactly the same play Apple has made for over a decade. Change just invites complaints. I for one am looking forward to this new approach. Means the possibility of the os having less of a foot print. All those old drivers...why are they necessary luggage? Nothing but wasted space on newer builds. Look how long it took ISA connectors to be eliminated off motherboards. Why on earth does the OS need to carry compatibility for IDE drives? Just because it can?

Old
  (#8)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 07-29-2017, 22:09 | posts: 7,565 | Location: USA

Its also why we dont have a true all NEW OS built from the ground up it always been built upon, cause legacy support of old hardware, is it ****ty sure, do company profit from such things yep, but do you really want an OS 10 years from now, running at half is potential on newer hw cause the OS is based off old tech and legacy ?

I sure dont, but that is me, I think this why proper multi thread support is still questionable

Last edited by tsunami231; 07-29-2017 at 22:15.