Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
Old
  (#1)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
Processor: FX-8350@4.8 H80iV2 Corsai
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: On board Realtek
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - 07-25-2017, 04:58 | posts: 2,358 | Location: Canada

Information can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ll-creators-up

Quote:
Summary

The following features and functionalities in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update are either removed from the product in the current release (“Removed”) or are not in active development and might be removed in future releases (“Deprecated”).

This list is intended to help customers consider these removals and deprecations for their own planning. The list is subject to change and may not include every deprecated feature or functionality.

For more information about a listed feature or functionality and its replacement, see the documentation for that feature. You can also follow the provided links in this table to see additional resources.

Old
  (#2)
primetime^
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon RX580
Processor: X5670@4.2Ghz Ultra-120Ext
Mainboard: Asus P6T Delux v1
Memory: 12gb Patriot ddr3 1600
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Black Widow 850
Default 08-16-2017, 06:03 | posts: 835 | Location: SC

Lord almighty....There killing off
Quote:
System Image Backup (SIB) Solution

We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.
**** my life! I been using this for as long as i remember! What will i use in its place?

Old
  (#3)
shamus21
Member Guru

Videocard: 0
Processor: 0
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 0
Default 08-16-2017, 07:21 | posts: 64 | Location: UK

I hope things improve with this update. I have had to do so many resets and reinstalls with this bugged up creators update I now do not have it running on any desktops or laptops full stop it just costs to much money and time trying to fix problems. If Microsoft are not interested any more in the OS then why not sell it off like every other venture that they screw up.

Old
  (#4)
Kaarme
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 390
Processor: i5 6600K
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: HyperX DDR4 16GB
Soundcard: Lead Audio LA-100 DAC
PSU: EVGA G2 750W
Default 08-16-2017, 08:19 | posts: 728 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime^ View Post

**** my life! I been using this for as long as i remember! What will i use in its place?
Does this refer to the Win7 backup solution that's still included in Win10? It's highly annoying if it's removed. I use it alongside a third party software. Two separate backups are better than just one, I always figured. More worrisome is that my aging mom only knows how to use the Windows backup solution.

I don't really understand what would be the point of removing it. I hope it refers to something else. But then again, this is Microsoft were are talking about, so making sense is purely optional.

Old
  (#5)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
Processor: i7 6700K 4.5Ghz 1.28v
Mainboard: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
Memory: Vengeance 32GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard + H/K Soundsticks
PSU: 850W EVGA Supernova
Default 08-16-2017, 10:13 | posts: 10,008

It says deprecated so it should still be there. Double check by installing a slow ring insider build on a vm.

You can always install LTSB 2016 (14393) for the elderly because it won't change and you won't have to worry about explaining MS decisions to them.

Old
  (#6)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
Processor: FX-8350@4.8 H80iV2 Corsai
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: On board Realtek
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 08-17-2017, 02:22 | posts: 2,358 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime^ View Post

I highly recommend " Macrium Reflect FREE Edition "

It does more then " System Image Backup (SIB) Solution " and for free.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Macrium_Re...ion_d6034.html

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...-Edition.shtml

Quote:
Macrium Reflect Free Edition is a handy tool designed to create backups of your disk partitions in order to protect yourself from data loss. You can use it to restore your disks to a previous state in case of a hardware failure.

Since the data used in our daily activity is saved on the hard drive, it is possible to lose important files and documents due to hardware problems. A solution is to periodically create backups in order to recover the essential files.

This program allows you to backup the data from your hard drive to an image file that can be used to restore everything, down to the last bit. This method allows you to recover not only the documents but also the programs required for your activity.

However, creating an identical copy tends to use more disk space than required which is why Macrium Reflect can compress the file. You can also use the Intelligent sector copy feature which backs up only the used disk sectors.

The interface is easy to use and allows you to quickly select the disk that you want to back up and the location. You also have the option to analyze the partition in order to detect errors before creating the image.

Since backing up a large partition can take more than a few minutes you can automate the process by scheduling the operation. Thus, you can configure the task and allow the program to run it in the background while you are working.

If you need to only retrieve certain files from the image, the app can mount it as a virtual hard drive that you can browse in Windows Explorer. Additionally, the app can convert the image to a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) that can be used with Windows Virtual PC.

Although casual users can find the app sufficient for their needs, network administrators and other advanced users might need additional options such as incremental backups which can be accessed by purchasing Macrium Reflect Standard Edition or other editions.

Old
  (#7)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: UMC-1, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 08-17-2017, 11:47 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Macrium Reflect is really good.
The only thing I care about that it cant do (not sure about the paid version) is recover individual files from a backup.
The complete backup needs to be restored.
At least thats how it was 1/2 year ago ...

Old
  (#8)
jbmcmillan
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
Processor: i5 2500k@4.4 GHZ.
Mainboard: Asus P8 z77 vl-k
Memory: Gskill 2x4GB 1600 DDR3
Soundcard: Onboard realtek
PSU: OCZ 1000 watt Z series
Default 08-17-2017, 14:26 | posts: 2,285 | Location: Langley,B.C. Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
Macrium Reflect is really good.
The only thing I care about that it cant do (not sure about the paid version) is recover individual files from a backup.
The complete backup needs to be restored.
At least thats how it was 1/2 year ago ...
You can mount the image like a virtual drive so couldn't you grab individual files like that?

Old
  (#9)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: UMC-1, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 08-17-2017, 16:51 | posts: 10,247 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcmillan View Post
You can mount the image like a virtual drive so couldn't you grab individual files like that?
It didnt have that feature when I tried it.
I'll have another look.