Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#26)
MerolaC
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 8GB
Processor: i7 6700k@Stock@CorsairH60
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
Memory: Vengeance LPX 16G@3200
Soundcard: SB Titanium HD
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty G.G. - 750w
Default 06-16-2017, 17:09 | posts: 2,814 | Location: Argentina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CioDzMqAxqU

Old
  (#27)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 06-16-2017, 20:32 | posts: 12,913 | Location: Finland

^^How it looks like under the hood:

Old
  (#28)
DW75
Master Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX1080 AMP EXTREME
Processor: R7 1700X
Mainboard: MSI X370Gaming Pro Carbon
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3466
Soundcard: SB ZXR/SR6007/HE400i
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2
Default 06-16-2017, 20:58 | posts: 334 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
^^How it looks like under the hood:
A far cry from the ZXR indeed.

Old
  (#29)
Valken
Maha Guru

Videocard: Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
Processor: Intel i7-4970k 4GHZ
Mainboard: Asrock Z97 OC Formula
Memory: G.Skill 32GB 2400 CL10
Soundcard: ALC1150 + X-Fi MB3
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 06-17-2017, 10:41 | posts: 1,266

Where is the DSP and DAC?!

Old
  (#30)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: UMC-1, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 06-17-2017, 11:40 | posts: 10,243 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
They are on the card.
Odd question.

Old
  (#31)
TheDeeGee
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Crucial Ballistix LP 16GB
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 06-17-2017, 11:48 | posts: 5,077

What's the Power Connector for, is that required?

Cuz my ZxR just gets Power from PCI-E... even the daughter board passes thru the mainboard. No extra cables needed.

Old
  (#32)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 06-17-2017, 12:14 | posts: 12,913 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
What's the Power Connector for, is that required?

Cuz my ZxR just gets Power from PCI-E... even the daughter board passes thru the mainboard. No extra cables needed.
I think it's for the LEDs. I'm not sure if it's required.

Old
  (#33)
Chess
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX780Ti DC/OC
Processor: Intel SandyBridge-E 3930
Mainboard: MSI X79A-GD65 8D
Memory: Corsair 4x4Gb
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX/MMX300
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 06-26-2017, 20:55 | posts: 212 | Location: Ghent, Belgium

While indeed about 0.01% of us here own DSD or other 32Bit files, I fail to see the general point of this. It might combine this ultra high end feature of playing 32bit lossless and mediocre gaming sound.

We're even going back in innovation.
No optical out ( I might be wrong, but is there even a digital out? )
No swappable OpAmps ( by this day I expected swappable caps )
Gimmicky LED's because they take us for gullible teenagers.
Ultra high-end playback with added inner PC noise.

Well, to each it's own. To the guys wanting/buying this: I'm still curious of how your review and rate it compared to last gen soundcards which didn't offer that much innovation over the cards before that anyway. I'm curious and would LOVE to be proven wrong.

If I'm allowed to formulate this rather arrogantly: Wake me when games use HiFi soundformats at 24/96 and/or present us with new levels of audio immersion that would throw me off my chair.
The GSX1000 was promising but failed to deliver in features and flexibility.

Ahwell, I crave this feeling I had trying the nforce 2 soundstorm and after that X-Fi Xtreme music. Most things after were pretty disappointing.

Am I spoiled?

Old
  (#34)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 470
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mainboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair DDR4-2666
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 06-27-2017, 02:27 | posts: 19,966 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
While indeed about 0.01% of us here own DSD or other 32Bit files, I fail to see the general point of this. It might combine this ultra high end feature of playing 32bit lossless and mediocre gaming sound.

Well, to each it's own. To the guys wanting/buying this: I'm still curious of how your review and rate it compared to last gen soundcards which didn't offer that much innovation over the cards before that anyway. I'm curious and would LOVE to be proven wrong.

If I'm allowed to formulate this rather arrogantly: Wake me when games use HiFi soundformats at 24/96 and/or present us with new levels of audio immersion that would throw me off my chair.

Ahwell, I crave this feeling I had trying the nforce 2 soundstorm and after that X-Fi Xtreme music. Most things after were pretty disappointing.

Am I spoiled?
How do you get that there's no optical out? There's a toslink connector on the card. That's digital/optical. There's even 3 images that clearly show the toslink connector. The fact you can't recognize a toslink connector, invalids anything else you could possibly say here... Also, wtf would anyone waste their money on a dedicated sound card just to bypass the DAC by using a digital output? It's going to sound no better than using onboard audio.

Old
  (#35)
warlord
Master Guru

Videocard: R9 390X MSI(1080/1500)
Processor: AMD X4 860K OC (@4.0ghz)
Mainboard: Asus Crossblade Ranger
Memory: 16gb ddr3 1866@09-10-11
Soundcard: Z5500 + ALC1150
PSU: 850W SuperNova P2
Default 06-27-2017, 08:45 | posts: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
How do you get that there's no optical out? There's a toslink connector on the card. That's digital/optical. There's even 3 images that clearly show the toslink connector. The fact you can't recognize a toslink connector, invalids anything else you could possibly say here... Also, wtf would anyone waste their money on a dedicated sound card just to bypass the DAC by using a digital output? It's going to sound no better than using onboard audio.
Epic. Believe me there are tons of people doing it. Even those with premium cards double or triple the cost. Only I can accept their madness is because of latest software giving you the option to use enhancements through S/PDIF.

Old
  (#36)
Alessio1989
Master Guru

Videocard: Two different furnaces
Processor: It's getting old...
Mainboard: A voltage leaker...
Memory: Heap corruption
Soundcard: It's over 109db!!!!
PSU: Finally, a quite engine
Default 06-27-2017, 11:18 | posts: 706 | Location: Good-food-land

Drea Creative, if I have a still very valid X-Fi Titanium with Optical IN/OUT and native analog 7.1 (or a Titanium HD or ZxR or an Auzentech X-Fi card or a Asus sound card etc..), why should I buy THIS card? I hope not for leds or fake 7.1 or meaningless 32-bit/384Khz (and I really doubt this will bring any improvement for beginners experimenting the first time audio creation content without buying something professional..).

I want a damn good multichannel (no upmix crap) analog card, with working and coherent software, good stereo headphones support at a decent price. Nothing more, nothing less. No upmix crap options for fake sorround et similia, which also clashes with games own mix engines. No leds, no fata1ty bullcrap etc...

Last edited by Alessio1989; 06-28-2017 at 15:30.

Old
  (#37)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
Processor: I7 3930k @ 4.6ghz @ 1.4v
Mainboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth
Memory: G-skill 4x4GB @2133
Soundcard: AE-5>Jot> BAL>JBL305/R70x
PSU: Cosair RM850
Default 06-29-2017, 04:42 | posts: 5,919 | Location: Southfield,MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio1989 View Post
Drea Creative, if I have a still very valid X-Fi Titanium with Optical IN/OUT and native analog 7.1 (or a Titanium HD or ZxR or an Auzentech X-Fi card or a Asus sound card etc..), why should I buy THIS card? I hope not for leds or fake 7.1 or meaningless 32-bit/384Khz (and I really doubt this will bring any improvement for beginners experimenting the first time audio creation content without buying something professional..).

I want a damn good multichannel (no upmix crap) analog card, with working and coherent software, good stereo headphones support at a decent price. Nothing more, nothing less. No upmix crap options for fake sorround et similia, which also clashes with games own mix engines. No leds, no fata1ty bullcrap etc...
You shouldn't as the card is not aimed at you in the first place, If you need 7.1 asus has an couple of cards that do have 7.1 such as the Asus soar and DLX, I know the Soar has it as I had it for an while before switching to an ZXR for an while. While the Soar uses the same hp amp as the ZXR, they are slowy moving to other IC's for their headphone amp since the DLX uses an pair of LME9600s for it headphone amp instead of the commonly used ones on the higher model of cards.

When it comes to creative you may not get what you want regardless due to the issue with most PC speakers that are out or being released are either 2.0 or 5.1. Which means unless 7.1 PC speakers make an return since thats what it seems creative and some companies only care about, I doubt creative will start putting 7.1 muiti channel back on there cards to pull in receiver users and 7.1 headset users(yes those people exist too). You may have to look else where for that such as the two asus cards I mentioned.

The lights doesn't bother me at all as they can be turned off in the software, and even if they couldn't nothing that black tape couldn't fix.

no offense but I disagree on the card being useless, it might not fit your wants and needs. But it might fit some one else and they don't have to be an noob or just starting out in audio to find the card useful to them. Going with an pro recording box won't help you if you also game too as you won't have any of the features of the sound card that you may want.

It be something difference if you happen to not care for any of the virtual headphone or any other features that is on the card. But there are people that will and this card would fit the needs of those people.

The card fits what I been looking for months now without having to spend a lot for it and without having to have two separate products running to my jotunheim. Now I won't have to buy something like an SMSL M8 Dac and an sound card with the features an then run optical into the M8 and switch between inputs, because I have done that in the pass and its annoying and an mess of cables. Now it doesn't have DSD but The dac chip supports DSD so i really doubt creative even know, unless they have tried. But I can always convert DSD to PCM when I start getting more DSD albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
Epic. Believe me there are tons of people doing it. Even those with premium cards double or triple the cost. Only I can accept their madness is because of latest software giving you the option to use enhancements through S/PDIF.
You have to take into account that these people also may own 5.1 and 7.1 speakers, receivers,Headsets and are also using the card to send the gaming features to there external setups, or already had the card from an prior setup and instead of taking the trouble of selling the card and moving down to an lessor card, they move it over to there new setup. I have seen people with setups that included both 5.1 PC speakers, or even muiti driver headsets on the sound card and studio monitors on external dac.

I won't say that people don't as I have seen people mentioned that they bought an sound blaster ZXR or DLX or HT omega claro II just to pair it with an external dac/amp without ever using the actual analog outputs on the card, which is indeed an waste and is just plain silly.

Last edited by GenClaymore; 06-29-2017 at 04:54.

Old
  (#38)
goat1
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus 770 2gb
Processor: i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: 8 gigs crucial tracer led
Soundcard: Razer Barracuda AC-1
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000 watt
Default 06-30-2017, 18:24 | posts: 1,978 | Location: Minnesota

Quote:

Am I spoiled?
OMG not that. LED's. Just terrible. You know you can just turn them off right.. What a bunch of haters..

Old
  (#39)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 06-30-2017, 22:05 | posts: 19,966 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1 View Post
OMG not that. LED's. Just terrible. You know you can just turn them off right.. What a bunch of haters..
Is it possible to turn off the LEDs on the SB-Z?

Old
  (#40)
goat1
Maha Guru

Default 06-30-2017, 22:16 | posts: 1,978 | Location: Minnesota

Quote:
I'm gonna go with.. YES!

Old
  (#41)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 FE @ 2ghz
Processor: I7 3930k @ 4.6ghz @ 1.4v
Mainboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth
Memory: G-skill 4x4GB @2133
Soundcard: AE-5>Jot> BAL>JBL305/R70x
PSU: Cosair RM850
Default 06-30-2017, 22:25 | posts: 5,919 | Location: Southfield,MI

Quote:
no, you have to tape up the light on the sb-z or remove it.

Old
  (#42)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 07-01-2017, 01:21 | posts: 19,966 | Location: US East Coast

Yeah, I did some searching and those appear to be the only solutions. The LEDs appear to be hardwired to a power circuit. I guess if I decide to reinstall the card, I'll just snip the LEDs off the board.

Old
  (#43)
Chess
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX780Ti DC/OC
Processor: Intel SandyBridge-E 3930
Mainboard: MSI X79A-GD65 8D
Memory: Corsair 4x4Gb
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX/MMX300
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 07-02-2017, 14:30 | posts: 212 | Location: Ghent, Belgium

Quote:
I did indeed look over it. I do recognise them, c'mon man...
I was looking for a digital Coax/toslink connection like on the Essence I have
I made a mistake in my post and OBVIOUSLY the rest of the post has been rendered null? That the way you look at the rest of the world?

So... kindly re-read my post now, now I've rectified my error?

goat1, thanks for, like above, taking one element of my post, making me look ridiculous and nullifying the rest of the post.
LED's are not a big deal. Non functional, only there for sales.
I have an opinion on LEDS, am I allowed, yeah?
Have something constructive to say, will ye?

Old
  (#44)
goat1
Maha Guru

Default 07-05-2017, 22:37 | posts: 1,978 | Location: Minnesota

Quote:
I did indeed look over it. I do recognise them, c'mon man...
I was looking for a digital Coax/toslink connection like on the Essence I have
I made a mistake in my post and OBVIOUSLY the rest of the post has been rendered null? That the way you look at the rest of the world?

So... kindly re-read my post now, now I've rectified my error?

goat1, thanks for, like above, taking one element of my post, making me look ridiculous and nullifying the rest of the post.
I have an opinion on LEDS, am I allowed, yeah?
Have something constructive to say, will ye?
This is what you said..

LED's rock, if you don't like them, for everyone's sake, don't comment on it.

Old
  (#45)
brothergc

Videocard: 1060 6gb
Processor: 7650k
Mainboard: Asus Z-170E
Memory: 2x8 gb G skill ddr4
Soundcard: HT omega eclario
PSU: seasonic 550
Talking 07-07-2017, 02:03 | posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
kinda reminds me of that very old wendys com. " where's the beef " ROFL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riH5EsGcmTw

Old
  (#46)
BlazeInterior

Videocard: 24GB
Processor: i 7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: BTX
Default 07-07-2017, 02:58 | posts: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelgraves13 View Post
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-card...-blasterx-ae-5

The Sound BlasterX AE-5 is a SABRE32 Ultra Class PCIe DAC which is perfect for hi-resolution audio for games, music, and movies.

It delivers up to 32-bit 384kHz playback with a 122dB SNR, ultra-low distortion and jitter.
i wanna know it is a free or pay product?

Old
  (#47)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 07-07-2017, 11:05 | posts: 10,243 | Location: United states of Kingdom

It doesnt have a 122dB SNR.
So that bit cant be free or bought with this.

Aside from that, you need to buy it.

ps the DAC chip they buy for the card has a dynamic range of 122dB, not the same thing.

Old
  (#48)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 07-08-2017, 02:54 | posts: 19,966 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
It doesnt have a 122dB SNR.
So that bit cant be free or bought with this.

Aside from that, you need to buy it.

ps the DAC chip they buy for the card has a dynamic range of 122dB, not the same thing.
So what is the actual rating of the card?

Old
  (#49)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 07-08-2017, 10:32 | posts: 10,243 | Location: United states of Kingdom

They havent released it yet, we wont know until reviews come in.

Old
  (#50)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GX980Ti Amp!Extreme
Processor: Intel i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe 2103
Memory: Gskill TridX 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD @Bose A5
PSU: Nitro88+ 650W 52A
Thumbs up 07-08-2017, 14:25 | posts: 13,826 | Location: Proxima \/82

I think I'll just stay with my xfi titanium hd for now, but good to see them evolving.