Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#26)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 1080 GRP
Processor: i7-6850K
Mainboard: Sabertooth X99
Memory: 64 GB DDR4
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Ti
PSU: CM V1200 Platinum
Default 02-23-2017, 16:43 | posts: 1,745

Checked the new beta. Halo Wars DE is detected and working fine now, thanks.

HW2's crash persists here though. Can't confirm the above report on it being VC related, my log shows two entries on each such crash:

Code:
Description
Faulting Application Path:	C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HoganThreshold_1.2.247.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	MoAppCrash
Package Full Name:	Microsoft.HoganThreshold_1.2.247.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Application Name:	praid:xgame.App
Application Version:	0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp:	589c55df
Fault Module Name:	HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final.exe
Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp:	589c55df
Exception Code:	c0000005
Exception Offset:	00000000044e1bf0
OS Version:	10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:	1049
Additional Information 1:	9224
Additional Information 2:	9224d96ba165915eec588aaac05c97d4
Additional Information 3:	6aa2
Additional Information 4:	6aa2d9b8923a072abb1671f28031b1ff

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:	e4b6731c19e703cb16dfcb3340bc3387 (133465785027)
And

Code:
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	LiveKernelEvent
Code:	141
Parameter 1:	ffffac8e831d2010
Parameter 2:	fffff806d0f57b4c
Parameter 3:	0
Parameter 4:	16bc
OS version:	10_0_14393
Service Pack:	0_0
Product:	256_1
OS Version:	10.0.14393.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:	1049
There's something strange going on though and I'll have to investigate this a bit further - it looks like the mighty Windows Store managed to **** up the installation in some imaginative way. So this may not be related to RTSS (or at least partially isn't).

Upd: Ok, did some more testing. Haven't found nothing related to Winstore unfortunately so it is an AB problem after all.

There's a change in the crash behavior in the Beta2 though. On Beta1 the game would crash in the beginning of the first campaign level (The Signal) in both cases:

- if the OSD is enabled (or was enabled and hidden with a button) on game's start
- if the OSD was enabled only after the level started (after the video at level start finished playing) and then the level was restarted through the menu Mission Restart option.

On Beta2 the second crash doesn't happen anymore. So if the level was loaded with the OSD being off, then you enable the OSD and restart the level - it doesn't crash on start anymore even with the OSD working. So you're onto something =)

Last edited by dr_rus; 02-23-2017 at 17:03.

Old
  (#27)
Immortal

Videocard: GTX Titan X
Processor: Intel Core 7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic 1000W
Default 02-23-2017, 18:21 | posts: 7

I made some more tests with my 3 other computers also asked a friend to test it out on his and its all the same. Not even on a single computer (all different processors, graphics cards etc..) Halo Wars 2 was stable with RTSS enabled.

So it has to be something very common yet not mandatory since it works fine(?) for Unwinder.

Anything we can do to make it easier for you to locate the problem?

Old
  (#28)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-23-2017, 19:19 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
I made some more tests with my 3 other computers also asked a friend to test it out on his and its all the same. Not even on a single computer (all different processors, graphics cards etc..) Halo Wars 2 was stable with RTSS enabled.

So it has to be something very common yet not mandatory since it works fine(?) for Unwinder.

Anything we can do to make it easier for you to locate the problem?
Are there AMD GPUs in any of those 3 other PCs? I'm currently on 2xRX480 setup.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#29)
Immortal

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-23-2017, 20:20 | posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
Are there AMD GPUs in any of those 3 other PCs? I'm currently on 2xRX480 setup.
As a matter of fact - no, all are with GTX 10X0 cards (2x 1070, 1080 and my main is with Titan X). For some reason i assumed you had a GeForce card as well so it didn't even cross my mind to test on Radeon cards.

No problem, i have several RX 470 and 480 laying around, so i will test it with them in few / several hours and update you on that. Need to finish first something for work.

Old
  (#30)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-23-2017, 21:55 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Just replaced 2x480 with single 1070. Still no luck to crash it

Old
  (#31)
Immortal

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-23-2017, 23:00 | posts: 7

No luck here either, tried RX 470/480 and 2x480 just to be sure, always crashes the same as with GeForce cards.

At this point it's safe to assume it's not really GPU related. Not gonna lie - im super curious now, what's causing that.

Is there anyway i can provide you with other info which will help you find the cause of it? Some debugging tools or smtg?

Old
  (#32)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-24-2017, 10:32 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Debug logs would be userful if RTSS refuse to render OSD or crash itself. But it doesn't contain too much useful info for game crashing case. Anyway, let's try to peek into RTSS logs. To enable it:

- Edit .\ProfileTemplates\Config file and set EnableLog to 3 in [Debug] section, then restart RTSS. That will cause RTSS to log activity to both log file or debug view, when access to log file is restricted (important for UWP apps as log cannot be saved outside the sandbox for it). Logging will degrade performance a bit, that's normal and expected as I save some RTSS activity on per-frame basis
- Download DebugView and start it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...debugview.aspx
- Try to reproduce Halo Wars 2 crash
- Save DebugView output and post it here or PM it to me

And don't forget to disable RTSS logging when you're done.

Last edited by Unwinder; 02-24-2017 at 10:34.

Old
  (#33)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 02-24-2017, 13:41 | posts: 1,745

Here you go: http://wikisend.com/download/664022/HW2-PC.rar

Logging from game's start with OSD enabled till the crash.

I've had an idea to check on btw - do you have the game installed to the default location? What happens if you move it to another drive?

Old
  (#34)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-24-2017, 20:57 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

One more try:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...up670Beta3.rar

Old
  (#35)
Immortal

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-24-2017, 22:28 | posts: 7

Edited, see below.

Last edited by Immortal; 02-25-2017 at 01:46.

Old
  (#36)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 02-25-2017, 00:19 | posts: 1,745

No change here, same behavior as with Beta2 - crashes at first level start if the OSD was enabled, works fine if you enable it only after the first level has fully loaded.

Old
  (#37)
Immortal

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-25-2017, 01:45 | posts: 7

After some more testing it's not entirely gone but it's a big improvement for me.

If i enable it after i start Halo Wars 2 it's almost stable for me now. I could finish Skirmish map (took like 2 hours) with no problems.

It did crash eventually mid my second game but it was still like 40-50 minutes into the game.

Old
  (#38)
gatecrasher

Videocard: 8GB GTX 1070
Processor: R7-1700X @ 3.9GHz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair
Default 02-25-2017, 13:25 | posts: 6

Is there a reason that D3D12 does not use delayed injection by default?
It was causing a conflict with the Steam Overlay for me in Hitman and I had to set "InjectionDelayDirect3D12 = 1" in the Global RTSS config.

EDIT: Sorry, it seems like this must have been a holdover from an older version.
After deleting my global config and installing beta 2, this line is no longer present at all and just works.

Last edited by gatecrasher; 02-25-2017 at 13:31.

Old
  (#39)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-25-2017, 20:11 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas with that Halo Wars 2 issue. Danil's log above indicates that the crashing is happening due to hung and subsequently removed D3D12 device, which is a sign of some D3D12 resource access synchronization conflict. However, OSD in D3D12 mode in not managing D3D12 resources explicitly and use Microsoft D3D11on12 interoperability. Which makes me really think that it is some kind of incompatibility between the game engine and D3D11on12 itself. I tried to reduce the risk of such conflicts by explicitly flushing D3D12 command queue on each frame in beta 3, but it still doesn't help to get rid of crashing according to your reports. So the only solution left is to try to remove D3D11on12 usage completely and port OSD to pure D3D12 instead. It will be useful anyway as it will make OSD a bit faster, because D3D11on12 adds some minor performance hit due to interoperatibility. But porting is not fast, it will take a couple of days.

Last edited by Unwinder; 02-25-2017 at 20:15.

Old
  (#40)
knuckles84
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
Processor: Intel Xeon 1230 V3
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
Memory: ddr3 / 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic P-860 XP2
Default 02-26-2017, 08:25 | posts: 77 | Location: Luxemburg

The first thing an most importent --> Thanks for you work!!!

So I have tried HW2 and on my System it crash too. It only works after if I start AB+RTSS after the Map is loaded. If the AB+RTSS is already started the game crash to the desktop after loading the Map.

Sorry for my poor English :-/

Old
  (#41)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-26-2017, 11:52 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Beta 4 with alternate OSD rendering mode for Halo Wars 2 is available. I've done initial porting of OSD renderer to pure D3D12 instead of D3D11on12. This alternate mode is enabled at profile level for HW2 only, it is incomplete yet, only Vector3D rendering mode is implemented and it doesn't support explicit mGPU in D3D12 yet. But at least it will allow us to see if D3D11on12 compatibility was the issue with HW2.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...up670Beta4.rar

Last edited by Unwinder; 02-26-2017 at 12:18.

Old
  (#42)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-26-2017, 12:35 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

BTW in one of the recent betas I also added text formatting tags support to OSD, which means that any application using RTSS to render OSD (e.g. AIDA, HwInfo or MSI AB itself) can customize OSD appearance a bit more. Here is an example of format tags usage from RTSS SDK sample:

Old
  (#43)
knuckles84
Member Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-26-2017, 12:38 | posts: 77 | Location: Luxemburg

I will test it (but a bit later today) :-)

Perhaps it would be interessting to see, on wich Windows 10 Version we are. Perhaps MS made here some changes on the UWP or DX12 Level?

I'm on the Insider Fast Ring so Build 15042

Old
  (#44)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 02-26-2017, 15:08 | posts: 1,745

Quote:
Beta 4 with alternate OSD rendering mode for Halo Wars 2 is available. I've done initial porting of OSD renderer to pure D3D12 instead of D3D11on12. This alternate mode is enabled at profile level for HW2 only, it is incomplete yet, only Vector3D rendering mode is implemented and it doesn't support explicit mGPU in D3D12 yet. But at least it will allow us to see if D3D11on12 compatibility was the issue with HW2.

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...up670Beta4.rar
So the good news is that the crash I've been having is fixed with this beta =) Tried multiple times with different combinations of OSD enabled and disabled and it doesn't happen anymore.

The bad news is that this beta is doing something funky to the game's window resizing with Alt-Enter (fullscreen->windowed and vice versa). Sometimes mouse clicks do not register in windowed mode and sometimes when you go from fullscreen to windowed you get this:

This also affects game's resolution scale - when you try to scale it up in the video options to, say, 150%, you get this: http://i.picpar.com/2loc.jpg

It also looks like the Beta4 OSD is preventing the game to go fullscreen on startup and you have to do it manually each time.

But the crash is fixed =)

Old
  (#45)
knuckles84
Member Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-26-2017, 15:39 | posts: 77 | Location: Luxemburg

I can confirm the results from dr_rus, the only differnce is that for me the Game start normal in Fullscreen.

No more crashes :-)

Old
  (#46)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-26-2017, 15:56 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rus View Post
So the good news is that the crash I've been having is fixed with this beta =) Tried multiple times with different combinations of OSD enabled and disabled and it doesn't happen anymore.

The bad news is that this beta is doing something funky to the game's window resizing with Alt-Enter (fullscreen->windowed and vice versa). Sometimes mouse clicks do not register in windowed mode and sometimes when you go from fullscreen to windowed you get this:
Glad that the crash is finally gone for you. Facepalm, Microsoft D3D11on12 really conflicted with Microsoft D3D12 API in own Microsoft game engine. LOL.
On window resizing related issues: it is result of currently early and incomplete implementation of new D3D12 OSD renderer. The renderer was not releasing references to render target views on window resize yet, causing old frame buffer dimensions to be used. Try beta 5, hope I fixed it now:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...up670Beta5.rar

Old
  (#47)
dr_rus
Maha Guru

Default 02-26-2017, 16:36 | posts: 1,745

Quote:
Glad that the crash is finally gone for you. Facepalm, Microsoft D3D11on12 really conflicted with Microsoft D3D12 API in own Microsoft game engine. LOL.
On window resizing related issues: it is result of currently early and incomplete implementation of new D3D12 OSD renderer. The renderer was not releasing references to render target views on window resize yet, causing old frame buffer dimensions to be used. Try beta 5, hope I fixed it now:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...up670Beta5.rar
Yep, this version fixed all the issues with HW2. Great job =)

Old
  (#48)
knuckles84
Member Guru

Soundcard:
Default 02-26-2017, 17:01 | posts: 77 | Location: Luxemburg

Yes, this version fixed all the Problems for me. Special Thanks, great Job :-)

Old
  (#49)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-26-2017, 18:55 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Thanks for good news and testing everyone. Hehe, the last 4 days were tough.

Old
  (#50)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 03-06-2017, 18:03 | posts: 13,125 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

New beta is available. There are so many changes that I decided to rename 6.7.0 branch to 7.0.0. Full changes list includes:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner...up700Beta1.rar

• Added initial Microsoft UWP applications support. Now RivaTuner Statistics Server provides full On-Screen Display, framerate/frametime statistics collection and framerate limiting support for sandboxed Windows 10 store applications. Screencapture and videocapture are currently not supported in UWP environment
• New default Metro interface styled skin designed by 00pontiac
• Improved default On-Screen Display rendering configuration provides better default On-Screen Display appearance on modern mainstream PC display resolution. Now raster 3D rendering mode with Unispace font and shadow rendering are enabled and zooming ratio is set to 3 by default
• Framerate is now displayed as integer value, however you may return back to floating point framerate representation with configuration file switch if necessary
• Fixed bug in Vulkan On-Screen Display cleanup code causing The Talos Principle to crash to desktop on changing video settings
• Fixed bug is skin engine causing part of the profiles window to be rendered in solid black color when using layered skin composition mode with alpha channel
• On-Screen Display shadow in now rendered in proper RGB colors instead of BGR in On-Screen Display preview window
• New On-Screen Display shadow rendering for raster 3D mode provides improved shadow rendering quality for some combinations of fonts and low On-Screen Display zooming ratios. The previous mode can be also enabled via profile if necessary
• Now delete profile button is unlocked when “Hide pre-created profiles” option is enabled and template based profile is selected
• Updated SDK:
o Improved shared memory layout. Now each running 3D application entry contains x64/UWP application architecture usage flags in addition to previously available 3D API usage flags
o Added text formatting tags support for On-Screen Display text. Now the client applications using RivaTuner Statistics Server to render a text in On-Screen Display (e.g. AIDA, HwInfo or MSI Afterburner itself) can apply custom text colors, alignment, size and position to some parts of displayed text. Format tags are fully supported for raster 3D On-Screen Display rendering mode only, some tags are ignored for vector On-Screen display rendering modes
o Improved On-Screen Display text macro translator. To provide more flexibility and customization %FRAMERATE% macro is now deprecated and replaced with new tags allowing printing application specific framerate, frametime and 3D API independently
o Updated RTSSSharedMemorySample sample code. Now the sample demonstrates text format tags usage and shows you how to apply custom On-Screen Display color, subscript style and custom alignment to a text rendered in On-Screen Display from a client application. The sample also demonstrates framerate display via both %FRAMERATE% macro and new tags
• Improved On-Screen Display preview window:
o Now you may double click preview window area to toggle between standard and 2x zoomed preview window size modes. 2x zoomed mode may be useful if you prefer to adjust On-Screen Display position visually via dragging it inside the preview
o Now you may right click preview window area and select “Capture screenshot” command from the context menu to automatically capture screenshot from currently running 3D application and use it as On-Screen Display preview background. This feature can be useful if you prefer to adjust On-Screen Display position visually via dragging it inside the preview. Original On-Screen Display preview window background can be restored with “Clear” command from the context menu
• Improved dynamic Direct3D12 presentation command queue detection algorithm
• Added On-Screen Display support for Direct3D11 applications using alternate frames presentation technique (e.g. Halo Wars Definitive Edition)
• Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting, allowing enabling alternate VTable based hooking for Direct3D1x applications concurrently presenting frames from multiple threads (e. g. Forza Horizon 3 or Halo Wars 2)
• Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting, allowing enabling pure Direct3D12 On-Screen Display renderer for some Direct3D12 applications conflicting with D3D11on12 interop layer (e.g. Halo Wars 2)
• Added power user oriented profile compatibility setting for OpenGL applications rendering from forward compatible 3.x+ context with disabled deprecated immediate OpenGL mode functionality. The switch allows the server to fall back to rendering path using a separate legacy OpenGL context
• Added On-Screen Display profile for Citra Nintendo 3DS emulator
• Added On-Screen Display profile for CEMU Wii U emulator
• Revamped internal benchmarking engine
• Updated profiles list

Note: I'm not sure if we'll keep the skin introduced in this beta as the final one. I think it is a good idea to make GUI Metro-styled considering that many changes in this version are related to supporting Windows 10 Store Apps (UWP). However, the skin is created by out forum member and I've not received his approval on using it in official release yet. So probably there will be something different in the same Metro style.