Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Game Tweaks and Modifications
Game Tweaks and Modifications This forum is dedicated to game modifications and tweaks. Here you can discuss performance and image quality modifications.

Old
  (#26)
KuroTenshi
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 970 4gb @ 1177/1402
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 4100mhz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G-Skill F3-2400C10 16gb
Soundcard: Onkyo TX-SR508 (HDMI 1.4)
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 01-04-2015, 23:42 | posts: 488 | Location: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyOverTher View Post
One thing that really infuriates me about this game is that the bloom and sky look compressed. If this was not a thing then it would look much better, the bloom is somewhat smooth but still comes up blocky up close. The sky just does not do well at all, even with all the things that i have done to sky.lib nothing seems to fix the fact that it looks compressed to all hell until it gets to the darker part of the sky. I just do not understand why it is like this, if it was not this game would look so much better, the only sky preset that i have seen do well is the E3_storm sky, but it only works if it is raining , only when it rains is when the sky looks good... *sigh
if only...
One solution I'll use will be SweetFX.
It works quite well with "Realistic Preset"

Old
  (#27)
ThatGuyOverTher
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX980
Processor: I7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Viii
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb
Soundcard: Onboard and Sony MDRV6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2
Default 01-04-2015, 23:50 | posts: 569 | Location: Miami, Florida, U.S.A.

@Essenthy, can you show us screenshots of the model you found for aiden and leave a link to download the standalone?

Old
  (#28)
puredorian
Master Guru

Videocard: Nvidia GTX 1070
Processor: Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4.0 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus
Memory: DDR4 Kingston 8x2 2666Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Thermaltake 650W
Default 01-05-2015, 06:26 | posts: 191 | Location: Russia

Quote:
@Essenthy, can you show us screenshots of the model you found for aiden and leave a link to download the standalone?
It's same as usual model

For old face, as ModAiC said this flyerguy has a Latino face, but if you actually pay attention to the details, the overall shape, it does look very look-alike from e3, just ignore eyes and skin tone and more wider nose, also take in account that he will look drastically different with proper skin color and having his cap on
http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/...9.resizedimage

Face definition dxpx seems to work only correctly when applied on a xbg main file of that model

Old
  (#29)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 980Ti 6GB
Processor: i7 3820 @3.6ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK x79 EXTREME 4
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: M-Audio Pro fire 610
PSU: Thermaltech 730w B
Default 01-05-2015, 08:43 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

Quote:
its exactly the same graphically, the only difference is when aiden walk his coat physic is slightly different, and he only put his thumbs in his pocket instead of all his hands, will post it later today

Old
  (#30)
ThatGuyOverTher
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX980
Processor: I7 6700k @ 4.5 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Viii
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb
Soundcard: Onboard and Sony MDRV6
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300G2
Default 01-05-2015, 10:03 | posts: 569 | Location: Miami, Florida, U.S.A.

ah ok, as long as there is an improvement in something i will take it
Now i see that you guys are talking about anti-aliasing... FXAA is not AA, it is just a shader based post process method that is used to blur the image, this reduces texture quality and makes the image look overall softer, in my opinion, FXAA would be the total opposite of what you should want.
AND, the reflection quality that you guys are talking about with it being downgraded with msaa and txaa is (at least for me) not the case, MSAA, make the image look sharper and makes the reflections look very nice and non-downgraded compared to shader techniques such as SMAA or FXAA or no AA at all. The same thing applies TXAA, pretty much TXAA is just MSAA with a temporal shader that does cause some blur but the MSAA (used for sharpening the image) balances it out, this of course will give you the best performance/look in the game considering that TXAA x2 is of higher quality than MSAA x4 in terms of overall aliasing, flickering, crawling, texture quality (texture quality remains nice and sharp with both). The best method to get rid of aliasing though would be Temporal SMAA, pretty much the same concept with the temporal aliasing in TXAA but with SMAA, this is good for performance and actually looks the best when you see how little of an impact on performance it has compared to TXAA x2, but like you guys have been stating, it degrades the reflection quality AND makes the textures look blurrier than even with no AA. Pretty much, I would stick with TXAA x2, it works the best for me.
Also, my settings are MUCH higher than vanilla Ultra, i actually have to play at 1360x768 with TXAA x2 with all my settings higher than Ultra and LoD at enhanced vanilla ultra, this could be the reason why reflection quality looks so good for me, but as for on screen aliasing, there really is not that much.

Old
  (#31)
genstar
Member Guru

Videocard: gt540
Processor: i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 220w
Default 01-05-2015, 10:18 | posts: 111

excuse my ignorance, but in this file are disabled shaders?

it would be nice if someone could reactivate least this ....

Old
  (#32)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 11:20 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

???? where is this from genstar ? its not on defaultrenderconfig.xml ??

edit: it has something to do with the files unpacked from shaders.fat, but i still have not clue where to edit these settings

Last edited by Essenthy; 01-05-2015 at 11:36.

Old
  (#33)
genstar
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 01-05-2015, 11:50 | posts: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenthy View Post
???? where is this from genstar ? its not on defaultrenderconfig.xml ??

edit: it has something to do with the files unpacked from shaders.fat, but i still have not clue where to edit these settings

my defaultrenderconfig.xml http://www.mediafire.com/download/el...2/file2015.rar

Old
  (#34)
KuroTenshi
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 12:44 | posts: 488 | Location: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by genstar View Post
Oh my GOD ! I was looking for POM for a while. Good find ! Will try to enable this if possible !

And I agree with ThatGuyOverThere, I can't see any issue with TXAA X2. The rendering is totally different than even 2xTemporal SMAA.

Why would MSAA or TXAA do other things than their job ? Why would devs take the trouble to reduce lod or reflection quality when AA is on ?

Maybe certain things are not suited to AA. Or it's a matter of taste.

What is sure, it's FXAA is a shader that indeed introduce blur that reduce jaggies without loosing too much details and performances. It's a nice way indeed.

But when you switch to a "real" AA method, you see the game differently.

Last edited by KuroTenshi; 01-05-2015 at 13:11.

Old
  (#35)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 13:22 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

its not that TXAA does wrong, its just that it has slight blur on edgy lines/texture ( wich mean it does blur some of the light reflection on ground for example ) its even worse on TXAA 4, MSAA x4 / x8 will give way more clear sharper look, its a matter of taste indeed

Old
  (#36)
txgt
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME
Memory: Team Xtreem 2600MHz 16GB
Soundcard: GTX 770 HDMI
PSU: Cooler Master SPG 1200W
Default 01-05-2015, 13:32 | posts: 808 | Location: Russia

Quote:
ah ok, as long as there is an improvement in something i will take it
Now i see that you guys are talking about anti-aliasing... FXAA is not AA, it is just a shader based post process method that is used to blur the image, this reduces texture quality and makes the image look overall softer, in my opinion, FXAA would be the total opposite of what you should want.
AND, the reflection quality that you guys are talking about with it being downgraded with msaa and txaa is (at least for me) not the case, MSAA, make the image look sharper and makes the reflections look very nice and non-downgraded compared to shader techniques such as SMAA or FXAA or no AA at all. The same thing applies TXAA, pretty much TXAA is just MSAA with a temporal shader that does cause some blur but the MSAA (used for sharpening the image) balances it out, this of course will give you the best performance/look in the game considering that TXAA x2 is of higher quality than MSAA x4 in terms of overall aliasing, flickering, crawling, texture quality (texture quality remains nice and sharp with both). The best method to get rid of aliasing though would be Temporal SMAA, pretty much the same concept with the temporal aliasing in TXAA but with SMAA, this is good for performance and actually looks the best when you see how little of an impact on performance it has compared to TXAA x2, but like you guys have been stating, it degrades the reflection quality AND makes the textures look blurrier than even with no AA. Pretty much, I would stick with TXAA x2, it works the best for me.
Also, my settings are MUCH higher than vanilla Ultra, i actually have to play at 1360x768 with TXAA x2 with all my settings higher than Ultra and LoD at enhanced vanilla ultra, this could be the reason why reflection quality looks so good for me, but as for on screen aliasing, there really is not that much.
I know that FXAA is post-process based technique but it still anti-aliasing, man it has those words in it's name - Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing.
FXAA blurs the whole image a bit but not as much as the TXAA which makes the textures on Aiden's coat or on the street roads look like it's lower res,
like i'm playing on "High" textures, while i'm actually using Vanilla "Ultra".
MSAA is great. It's TRUE anti-aliasing which actually multiplies the pixel count of processed image. But in WD it downgrades geometry of reflections.

Best way to see it for yourself is to go to online free roam mode, this way the game won't pause and you still can see game graphics while you're in
menus unlike in single-player. And you can change any graphics options and see the result instantly and compare any setting. So that downgrade is most
notable in reflection of the L-Train road. It has to be sunny clear weather and wet road with puddles. Position your camera so that puddle and reflection
where in the right side of the screen. Also make sure that the orange metal support of the LT road is lightened up by the sun for clearer view.
Now go to the options and switch from different AA settings and see how the geometry of the reflection will change. It can be hard to catch the puddles in
free roam, so you can test it on the car that have the most clear and sharp reflectiveness. I suggest you to use Adamant or Sonarus.
It can be only L-Train road that is downgraded or it is other things i don't know i don't have time to test it. But the fact that it's downgrades one thing
already makes me worry and assume that there's other reflections are get downgraded too.

Last edited by txgt; 01-05-2015 at 13:40.

Old
  (#37)
KuroTenshi
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 14:11 | posts: 488 | Location: France

Quote:
its not that TXAA does wrong, its just that it has slight blur on edgy lines/texture ( wich mean it does blur some of the light reflection on ground for example ) its even worse on TXAA 4, MSAA x4 / x8 will give way more clear sharper look, its a matter of taste indeed
I totally agree with you. I am aware of the blurring and clearly see it.
To me, reflections don't have to be sharp anyway, as it's reflections. Exactly like shadows, according to my tastes (I am currently looking at shadows of my bed, that are not sharp). I see too that trees "loose" details. But I prefer them like this, as they seems to have more foliage, without aliasing.

It would be perfect for me to be able to use MSAA4X. I tested, I loved the visuals but it was unplayable. Too bad.

FXAA, SMAA, Temporal SMAA, MSAAx2 and TXAA X2 are the only one that keep my game playable (>=30fps).

So it's a compromise and a matter of tastes. I only have a GTX 670 with 2gb of VRAM. I don't use vanilla ultra textures, but textures made by other people (a merge of Sunset V4 and other people's creations) that are lighter and visually on the level of Vanilla Ultra textures, especially with SweetFX and AA.

It's tricks, tastes and compromises.

I understand those who have better rigs, that prefer more detailed shadows and reflections, and can afford to use them.

I think debates like that have to be put in another thread. Here is a summary of community's work.

Last edited by KuroTenshi; 01-05-2015 at 14:21.

Old
  (#38)
txgt
Maha Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 14:25 | posts: 808 | Location: Russia

Quote:
excuse my ignorance, but in this file are disabled shaders?

it would be nice if someone could reactivate least this ....
Guys, you're looking at this the wrong way. Look closely at this line:

<shader name="Mesh_Weapon" add="QUALITYHIGH" remove=""/>

and now look at this, i just separated each command for you:

<shader name="Mesh_Weapon"
add="QUALITYHIGH"
remove=""/>

As you can see now it removes nothing, it only adds.

Old
  (#39)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 15:53 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

yeah but does that work ?

her's the other Aiden model for who want to try it, again the difference is very small, http://www.mediafire.com/download/zo...kit_models.rar

put the file on patch\generated\databases\generic

Old
  (#40)
genstar
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 01-05-2015, 15:54 | posts: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgt View Post

add="QUALITYHIGH"
remove=""/>

But I do not see the parallax occlusion mapping, in the game

Old
  (#41)
puredorian
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 01-05-2015, 17:04 | posts: 191 | Location: Russia

I've been digging through facialposedefinition.lib and tried exchanging some values from old.Tanner.xml to malechar01.xml, theres 2 values that needs to be left untouched or you will get crash on strartup, so I kept those 2, while rest were fully swapped with values from old.Tanner, however, I'm not seeing any differences.

Anyone got an idea what does this .lib do?

Last edited by puredorian; 01-05-2015 at 18:44.

Old
  (#42)
txgt
Maha Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 19:04 | posts: 808 | Location: Russia

Quote:
But I do not see the parallax occlusion mapping, in the game
I guess it's not enough then. Maybe even impossible in retail version.

Old
  (#43)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 19:42 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by puredorian View Post
I've been digging through facialposedefinition.lib and tried exchanging some values from old.Tanner.xml to malechar01.xml, theres 2 values that needs to be left untouched or you will get crash on strartup, so I kept those 2, while rest were fully swapped with values from old.Tanner, however, I'm not seeing any differences.

Anyone got an idea what does this .lib do?
does malechar01.xml correspond to aiden ?

Old
  (#44)
puredorian
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 01-05-2015, 20:17 | posts: 191 | Location: Russia

Quote:
does malechar01.xml correspond to aiden ?
I suppose it should be? I mean official list of heroes is char01/male01 - aiden, char02/female02 - clara... etc? No female01 either in the lib.

Old
  (#45)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 20:34 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by puredorian View Post
I suppose it should be? I mean official list of heroes is char01/male01 - aiden, char02/female02 - clara... etc? No female01 either in the lib.
i swapped the two files but didnt see any difference, just that Aiden mouth dosnt move when he talk

Old
  (#46)
txgt
Maha Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 20:56 | posts: 808 | Location: Russia

Guys, how you like my Medium DOF? Should I proceed and add it to all other cameras?

Old
  (#47)
Marduk
Master Guru

Videocard: gtx 780m
Processor: i7 4910mq 2.9 - 3.9ghz
Mainboard:
Memory: 32 gb
Soundcard:
PSU: 32 gb ram
Default 01-05-2015, 21:07 | posts: 663 | Location: Germany

Quote:

add="QUALITYHIGH"
remove=""/>

yes, you are right.
add them work, butsome added /edited shaders need to start a new ggame to get them work. in cause of an shader cache, wich is Not edit able in save games.

In defaultrenderconfig.xml is a code how you should add the shaders
(open the file with notepad ++, so you will see a descrption how the "code" must look, it is wrote in green)

edit the shaders, and found the codes in engine/settings/shader
(hope this helps a little bit)
ps there you also can found the subsurface scattering called sss

Old
  (#48)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 21:17 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven

Quote:
Guys, how you like my Medium DOF? Should I proceed and add it to all other cameras?
i tried it the other day work really fine !

Old
  (#49)
KuroTenshi
Master Guru

Default 01-05-2015, 22:01 | posts: 488 | Location: France

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't test it (not at home). Tomorrow I will be able.
It's the kind of DOF I seek so...

Old
  (#50)
Essenthy
Master Guru

Default 01-07-2015, 10:03 | posts: 415 | Location: Outer heaven