Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#26)
ESlik
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
Processor: i7 5930K @4.4ghz.
Mainboard: Asus ROG RVE-10
Memory: 32 gigs ddr4 @ 3200
Soundcard: Soundblaster X7
PSU: AX 1200i
Default 08-13-2012, 21:59 | posts: 2,336 | Location: Sault Ste. Marie Ont. CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel975 View Post
Whether you go digital from your source to a receiver, and then out to your speakers, or you go analogue from a sound card to an amp/receiver, it ends up being analogue out to the speakers anyway.

Spdif can support up to 6 channels (5.1 surround sound), if I know what I'm talking about.
I checked the Razer Tiamat FAQ,and they refer to the Tiamat headphones as being a "true" analog surround. Many forums etc. refer to 5.1 or 7.1 analog as "true". I don't know,I'm just saying what everyone else is saying. I know one thing for sure,there is a difference in gaming with analog as opposed to digital,and analog is way better. I've had quite a few headphones,both 5.1 and stereo with a digital surround source,and there's no comparison. In my opinion. And as most of you know,I'm NEVER really happy. That's why you'll see me buying so many sound cards and headphones. I must say this though,I'm about as happy with what I'm using right now as I've ever been. Analog all the way.

Old
  (#27)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 22" LCD on GTX260 C216
Processor: Intel I7 860
Mainboard: MSI P55 GD80
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3-1600 4X2GB
Soundcard: It Varies...
PSU: Sigma
Default 08-13-2012, 22:52 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESlik View Post
Everything I've read about 5.1 surround sound suggest 5.1 analog to be a "true surround", If I remember correctly,you even said it, or at least you agreed with that description. I believe it to be a true surround. If in fact I'm wrong,what IS a "true surround"? Thanks ROB.
No, I would have never said something like that and if you got that from a posting of mine you misunderstood it.

Analog connection to a receiver to surround.
Equals
Digital connection to a receiver to surround.

Both are the same, just the conversion takes place in a different location.

Not sure, what you mean about true surround.
True surround would be 6 channel or more but offering discrete channels.
Older systems such as early prologic, used a surround channel, both rear channels operating on one channel more or less. Systems then advanced to Dolby Digital 5.1 which has left rear and right rear which is a big advancement. What comes after is all built off that tech.

You can have this surround using analog or digital one is not always superior to the other.

Not sure if that is what you are asking or not. If I am still misunderstanding your question or suggestion..let me know and I will try and clarify the information.

Last edited by ROBSCIX; 08-13-2012 at 22:55.

Old
  (#28)
Rebel975
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX680 SC+
Processor: i7 3820 @ 4.5GHz + HT
Mainboard: AsRock x79 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB Samsung 30nm
Soundcard: DIY speakers and subs
PSU: OCZ Z1000M
Default 08-13-2012, 23:02 | posts: 1,222 | Location: Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESlik View Post
I checked the Razer Tiamat FAQ,and they refer to the Tiamat headphones as being a "true" analog surround. Many forums etc. refer to 5.1 or 7.1 analog as "true". I don't know,I'm just saying what everyone else is saying. I know one thing for sure,there is a difference in gaming with analog as opposed to digital,and analog is way better. I've had quite a few headphones,both 5.1 and stereo with a digital surround source,and there's no comparison. In my opinion. And as most of you know,I'm NEVER really happy. That's why you'll see me buying so many sound cards and headphones. I must say this though,I'm about as happy with what I'm using right now as I've ever been. Analog all the way.

They're just referring to having multiple drivers in the earcups as opposed to simulating the surround sound effect. This has nothing to do with analogue vs digital in the scope of this thread, but definitely opens up another huge can of worms (you're referring to true speakers vs DSP - this thread is referring to analogue vs digital connections between devices, such as a sound card to a receiver).

Analogue from a sound card to a receiver could very well sound better than digital to the receiver, if the sound card has a superior DAC/output stage/etc.

Last edited by Rebel975; 08-13-2012 at 23:28.

Old
  (#29)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 22" LCD on GTX260 C216
Processor: Intel I7 860
Mainboard: MSI P55 GD80
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3-1600 4X2GB
Soundcard: It Varies...
PSU: Sigma
Default 07-21-2014, 17:56 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

If you are running a high end soundcard, chances are analog connection will trump a digital connection unless, you are running a very high end receiver...and I mean very high end...few thousand.

Old
  (#30)
yosef019
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 980 4G Gaming @1500
Processor: i5 4690k@4.4 1.25v NH-D14
Mainboard: z97 PRO
Memory: 16GB 2133 ARES CL9 2T
Soundcard: SB Recon3D Pro Fatality
PSU: Crosair 860i
Default 12-05-2014, 23:03 | posts: 2,060 | Location: Israel - Haifa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagDoll_Effect View Post
Just wondering how good this puppy's Digital to analog converter would sound, it's an ONKYO receiver with 192, 32 bit DAC built in. So, actually in this case, using the receiver's DAC would be better Although, it probably costs thousands of dollars, compared to a 200 dollar soundcard. However, when soundcards start having 32 bit audio is when movies start mixing 32 bit audio

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/a...009/index.html

Check out the specs on this puppy...

regards,
RagDoll.
How much its cost I only now bought yamaha rx-359
I use spdif because on analog/ multy Chanel there no bass
I waste 2 days to turn on the ddl with my recon3d

Does my reciver OK what company DAC this reciver have?

Last edited by yosef019; 12-05-2014 at 23:42.

Old
  (#31)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: DenonAVR-4311CI 7.3ch+FH
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 12-06-2014, 00:40 | posts: 4,509 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosef019 View Post
How much its cost I only now bought yamaha rx-359
I use spdif because on analog/ multy Chanel there no bass
I waste 2 days to turn on the ddl with my recon3d

Does my reciver OK what company DAC this reciver have?
This is your Yamaha Receiver http://www.world-import.com/Yamaha-RX-V359.htm

It's decent and has most things you need...

regards,
RagDoll.

Old
  (#32)
DW75
Master Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX1080 AMP EXTREME
Processor: R7 1700X
Mainboard: MSI X370Gaming Pro Carbon
Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3466
Soundcard: SB ZXR/SR6007/HE400i
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2
Default 12-07-2014, 03:15 | posts: 334 | Location: Canada

With the Xonar D1 I had, the sound quality using optical to my receiver was far better than analog. The DACs and opamps in my harman kardon receiver are definitely superior to those on the D1. With the HT OMEGA Claro Plus I upgraded to about a week and a half ago, the sound quality using analog is superior to optical. The Claro Plus is giving me the best audio experience I have found using analog on a sound card to date. I am really impressed with her thus far.

Old
  (#33)
Killswitch
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire ATI R7 240
Processor: Intel Core i5 4440
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-DS3P
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB
Soundcard: ATH-M50-E10-Swans M50w-DX
PSU: Corsair VS350
Default 01-09-2015, 04:06 | posts: 67 | Location: World Wide Web

Which receiver do you have? Have the PCIx1 version of the D1 and have it connected with Swans M50w. As per your post Claro Plus sounds like way better card than DX/D1. This interests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW75 View Post
With the Xonar D1 I had, the sound quality using optical to my receiver was far better than analog. The DACs and opamps in my harman kardon receiver are definitely superior to those on the D1. With the HT OMEGA Claro Plus I upgraded to about a week and a half ago, the sound quality using analog is superior to optical. The Claro Plus is giving me the best audio experience I have found using analog on a sound card to date. I am really impressed with her thus far.

Last edited by Killswitch; 01-09-2015 at 09:22.

Old
  (#34)
DW75
Master Guru

Default 01-11-2015, 00:53 | posts: 334 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Which receiver do you have? Have the PCIx1 version of the D1 and have it connected with Swans M50w. As per your post Claro Plus sounds like way better card than DX/D1. This interests me
Hey Killswitch, my receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR 3600. Yes, the Claro Plus sounds far superior to the DX/D1. There is honestly no comparison.

Old
  (#35)
Killswitch
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire ATI R7 240
Processor: Intel Core i5 4440
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-DS3P
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB
Soundcard: ATH-M50-E10-Swans M50w-DX
PSU: Corsair VS350
Default 01-11-2015, 01:08 | posts: 67 | Location: World Wide Web

And I do agree with you (your post in a different thread) about DX/D1 having a hollow type of sound despite sounding way better than onboard audio. It sounds like it can be improved.

It is this one right:

http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html

EDIT: Hmm.. Claro Plus is a $180 card vs the $100 D1/DX so the comparison in terms of price is not justified. For that price Claro Plus is comparable to Xonar ST/STX etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW75 View Post
Hey Killswitch, my receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR 3600. Yes, the Claro Plus sounds far superior to the DX/D1. There is honestly no comparison.

Last edited by Killswitch; 01-11-2015 at 02:23.

Old
  (#36)
DW75
Master Guru

Default 01-11-2015, 01:09 | posts: 334 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
And I do agree with you (your post in a different thread) about DX/D1 having a hollow type of sound despite sounding way better than onboard audio. It sounds like it can be improved.

It is this one right:

http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html
Yes, that is the card.