Tablet for my Dad

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Jae-So, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Hey Guys I'm looking for a Tablet for my Dad, what would you suggest. He travels a lot and spends a lot of time in Africa (but sometimes lives there for months at a time). So he needs something portable but it doesn't need to be ultra portable.

Here's what I was thingking so far;

Nexus 7 HSPA+

Nexus 10 (no 3G)

What do you guys think of those? Any other options you can think of that may be better?

BTW I kno these are sold out at the mo but hope they will be in stock soon

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Unless your father is more comfortable with android don't count the iPad mini out of the mix they are great portable light and great battery life but the biggest draw back is the memory is not expandable. Btw they are using the A5 chip which surprised me a bit so it's specs are way above the ipad2 and it costs less.

Edit: Sorry just realized the iPad 2 has the A5 chip as well:bang:
    Disregard that part.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Either the ipad mini or the nexus 10.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I know you haven't listed it but any of the iPads (2, Retina or mini) would be great choices too, very easy to use and hassle free.

5. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Would he be using it with 3g? ipad mini is very nice but personally i wouldn't get it coz of iOS. I get bored of it after 5 mins.
    But then again you dad might want something simple so ipad mini will be perfect. Battery is better on mini too so if he travels a lot, good battery is a massive plus.

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    +1 ipad mini

7. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Hmm thing is Ipad mini without data is more expensive than the Nexus 7 with data, so if you are not getting data you may as well just get the Nexus 10

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Tbh i doubt africa even has data connection in most areas.

+1 on iPad mini for ease of use.

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Southern Africa has good data, especially South Africa, Zimbabwe isn't quite as good and he does a lot of work there, but it is passable. Thing is the wifi only ipad mini is £269 while the Nexus 10 is £319 and the Nexus 10 wipes the floor with it

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Wipes the floor with it? Maybe for your uses, but older people are completely different. What you think about something generally has no say so with what they think about it. Im telling you it will be a better user experience with iPad mini for your Father. Got my grandparents to use iphones/ipads when they knew absolutely nothing about technology. No chance doing that with android.

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Firstly I meant tech wise.

Secondly he is tech savvy enough to figure most thing out and he has an android phone at the moment so I doubt it is going to be as difficult as you think

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well you can tell us he is tech savvy to start off, now i give my +1 to the nexus 10, if the price difference wasn't that big i would consider the surface RT for its great work capabilities and bright future as a pro laptop

13. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    An assumption was made so I just replied to that assumption. I will try and give more info in future though

Yeh the Nexus 10 is only £50 more than the most basic Ipad mini. I never thought about the surface I will look into that, but ofcourse we get into the pricing with that too as that seems to be £400+. Hmm decisions decisions, someone I know also suggested the Asus transformer

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Kindle Fire HD 8.9 looks interesting, not sure I can find one in the UK though

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i dont know much about kindles but i think they are just 'amazon' tablets, a heavily customized android OS modded to run amazon software, you should do a bit more research

16. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Wow, nice to see there are suggestions for the ipad, your continued support for Apple will see the continued undermining of other developers. :(

You have my support for the Nexus 10, Jae-So.

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Yeh still seems a close battle between the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 3G at the mo

18. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I think whatever you choose will be a good outcome. Is your dad tech savvy like you? Is he really worried about snappiness, battery life, apps, etc?

19. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Nah not quite like me but he is Tech savvy for his generation. He has had Google phones before and I'm sure he can work things out with my help. I mean I don't think Android is that much more difficult than iOS. It just takes getting used to. Sure he won't be too worries about snappiness and apps but he would like bang for buck and good battery life.

20. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB