Workstation / Gaming Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by jaymacca, Dec 22, 2009.

1. jaymacca

jaymacca Member

GPU:
    Nvidea 9800 GX2
    In a bit of a quandry! What to buy?? I make money as a digital artist using 3d max but also love my gaming. I need a 17"+, 8gig Ram+, I7 CPU laptop that will do both. Why don't ATI or Nvidea make a card that supports both??? Especially if your paying top dollar for a professional card!

So options I have are to use a soft mod when my work requires it with a gaming laptop. (Not that often as I usually make do with radeon or geforce drivers for most jobs). Or go for workstation laptop which quite frankly look ugly, don't come with bluray drives and cost a fortune!

Top Choices

- Powernotebooks.com (sager) look pretty awsome, but no softmod for latest nvidea cards.
    - alienware m7. a monster with ati crossfire HD4870 that i believe can be softmodded. But no bluray or I7 CPU support(why ohh why no bluray???). Also I hate dealing with DELL!!!!
    - Quite like the HP 18.4" as a cheaper alternate, but again no softmod for Nvidea GTX260
    - Lenova thinkpad. professional card but man its ugly! no bluray!
    - kobaltcomputers.co.uk also awsome gamers but with newest nvidea. no mod.

Anyone got any helpfull advice:banana:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. sAAdC

sAAdC Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX260M 1GB
    Don't go for Alienware. I suggest you choose u're pick from the following laptop manufacturers:

Sager
    ASUS
    MSI

and by the way you posted it in the wrong section!!

3. khogan112

khogan112 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia 9600M GT 512MB
  4. jaymacca

jaymacca Member

GPU:
    Nvidea 9800 GX2
    @saadc.
    Its in this section as I'm interested in opinions from people who like me have experiance in softmodding ati and nvidea cards through rivatuner. But yes it could have been in the laptop section.

5. jaymacca

jaymacca Member

GPU:
    Nvidea 9800 GX2
    Thanks for the links khogan. Notebookcheck very informative.

In my experiance proffesional cards where always rubbish when playing games, but the notebook check 3dmark benchmarks get them right up there with game cards. What is other peoples experiance with proffessional cards for games?

Also thanks for the hp link. I've also checked out these, but this is my point. With HP proffesional system you can't get I7 CPU's , its only 800Mhz RAM and they want $400 extra for a bluray! It seems they fob you off with old stock.

That sager 18.4" looks awesome... Maybe they'll get an I7 in there soon! I also heard more bad than good about alienware, but you gotta love that keyboard!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009