New Member, New Machine

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by evotuc, Mar 5, 2011.

1. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    Hello everyone!

I just joined both the forums and your folding team. As it was, I had F@H running on my 4890 and PS3. Recently, I got the chance to build my new machine. It would be great if someone could help me optimize it to run F@H 24/7 to the best of its ability. From what I understand, my CPU can run six different clients, and I can also fold on the GPU at the same time. I have tried to implement the processes necessary to do this, but would like some expert guidance. It would be great if someone could take me through this step by step.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hello. welcome to the club :)

3. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Welcome to the Gurur3D F@H Team evotuc,

Since you haven't stated your computer expertise, I have broken it down in two levels and you can select any one:

1) Easy -> You will install and run a single instance of SMP2 Beta Client v6.43 that will use 100% of your CPU. You can follow the Pictorial Guide (It works with the latest version too). To monitor your F@H Client, use HFM.NET.

2) Tweakers -> You run a single instance of the SMP Client and a single instance of the GPU Client (Guide). however, since you have an ATI GPU, you will need to use environment variables and also -smp 5. You may want to see which configuration; SMP or SMP+GPU nets you the highest PPD and stick with that.

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    welcome to the team evotuc need any more help just ask

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Hello there.

6. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    Hey guys and/or gals! Thank you for your replies. I have a bit to do today, so when I get back home, I will give this a try again, using the pictoral guide that you provided. Thank you!

7. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    Okay, I have been working on getting 6.43 going. The error that I am receiving is not covered at the bottom of the installation guide.

Trying to unzip core FahCore_a3.exe
    - Couldn't open file FahCore_a3.exe
    + Error: Could not extract core
    + Core download error <#7>, waiting before retry...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  8. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    HFM Release 0.6.1.251

I don't know how to use this utility.

9. iancook221188

GPU:
  10. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    ^^ Well, I misspoke. I actually have 6.34 installed, not 6.43 . The problem is, that I keep getting the error where it can't extract the core. I followed the steps with the browser open to the side, so I don't think that I missed anything.

Hey, thanks for letting me know about HFM. Now I understand what to do with it. I just need to get this client to unzipped its work unit. Any ideas?

11. iancook221188

GPU:
    deleting the file try downloading it again see if that work could of got an error when downloading the first time

12. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    Is that the file AppData>Roaming>F@H-x86>work ?

Or, do you mean to uninstall F@H and start over?

13. iancook221188

GPU:
    yep that sound about right did you get the client to install then?? (sound like you did get it to install)

are you still having problems extracting the file if so

then try down loading it again and extract it if needed then try installing it

14. evotuc

evotuc Guest

GPU:
    XFX 69(70) 2GB
    Yes! I think I got it. It doesn't show up in the systray, but it is running my CPU at 100%. I had to redo everything. Thanks for you help. Okay, I will now try to install the GPU client.

From what I understand, I have to set the priority for the GPU a little higher than the CPU client. Is that correct?

Edit:

Okay. Which GPU client do I use? I thought it was GPU3, but they are for Fermi?

15. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The GPU3 Beta Client can run all all supported GPUs. In your case (ATI/AMD GPU), it will be using the same FahCore_11 to process the WUs.

However, it will require patience and trial and error to run both the SMP and GPU Clients on your system since the GPU Client uses a noticeable amount of CPU cycles which will have a negative impact on the PPD of the SMP Client. IMO, you are better off running the SMP Client on all 6 Cores.

Nonetheless, if you're in the mood of tweaking, feel free to experiment with the GPU Client and environment variables.