Ubisoft might block Far Cry 4 copies bought through third-party key sellers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I recently got Resident Evil Remaster via G2Pla and it hasnt been banned.

Though as others around the web have pointed out, its best to buy from G2play direct rather than some shifty thirdparty that sells via G2A/Play partner program. Same goes for Kinguin.

The best thing G2A/Play do now is to release a statement of some sorts. Anything.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Too bad people got scammed

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    To be honest, it's bad people got scammed. But it only happened because they wanted to go cheep on the keys, and could have been avoided...

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Theres nothing wrong with shopping around for a better price. Hows that any different to doing so with physical copies? With any product?

Unless the were dodgy RU, VPN or actually stolen keys of which ubi isnt even saying or providing info on, then I dont see why they can ban them simply because gamers didnt buy direct from Uplay.

Its not like ubi has any moral ground to stand on given the state they release games in. Its like they're saying that them and them alone are the only one who are allowed to be cheap.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    G2play is totally legit, there's nothing wrong getting the best price for a game, in fact I encourage this very much. it is a question of market and its demand, be happy there is competition as that actually drives prices down opposed to forcibly paying 60 EURO per game.

In the past this happened one time before, also with G2Play, they fully credited the game back to the customers. They are pioneering in a market where the software houses try to push the highest prices, as such I have nothing other then respect for that company.

7. lobez

lobez Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    I've been buying keys from these sellers for months, bought like 15-20 games (?), and had 0 problems redeeming them on Steam, Origin or Uplay; until a few weeks ago.

After returning from christmas holidays, i noticed that Ubisoft BLOCKED my Farcry 4 key, which i bought from G2A shop. After a few e-mails, G2A refunded me the money. Ubi said it was illegal copy.

8. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Arrrggghhh! Aye be sendin' Ubisoft a message from now, join me mateys!

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I could only find this about it

Ubisoft has said it is actively deactivating keys it believes were "fraudulently" obtained and resold via third-party websites.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...bisoft-is-going-after-third-party-key-sellers

10. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    This is Ubisoft being greedy and a huge jerk-off (in other words, Ubisoft being Ubisoft).

I was planning to buy Far Cry 4, eventually. Not any more. There's only so much BS you can take.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Should get Anonymous to revoke ubis access to the internet.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    G2Play was always good shop. I have few dozens of games from them, including Starcraft 2, Skyrim, Tomb Raider (all at release day with good prices).
    I quite reduced shopping there since steam announced regional locking, but even then there was no problem.

If UBI disables your game it is not because G2Play does something illegal, but because UBI want your 60E + what you paid before.

13. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    Some people (retards?) even go so far as to say that Ubisoft didn't get paid for those keys because they're all stolen/generated. Because Ubisoft said so. Ubisoft. Are you kidding me?

How can anyone be so cynical towards cd-key stores (because of the alleged actions of ONE of them) but so unfrigginbelievable gullible towards every single drop of hype and PR speech?

If the PC port of GTA V can be #1 in pre-orders, I guess people believing Ubisoft's lies isn't so far fetched :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The last similar incident I remember was Sniper Elite 3 but some people were "legit" customers too so I wouldn't be surprised if they're cracking down on people who took advantage of regional pricing. They're not wholly wrong but if they weren't charging so much for what can be argued is of poor value in the first place, these complications wouldn't arise.

15. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8GB
    No other industry tries that crap when people get 'around' regional pricing, or at least gets away with it. Why does gaming get a free pass?

<rant>
    The gaming industry can do whatever they want because people LET them. But they're not sheep, oh no no! Not sheep at all. They're so hip and cool because they just wasted $60 on a POS game, and they know it's POS game, but they feel proud about it because they did it and others didn't, so it must mean that those other people are poor, and thus, those cool hip consumers can act like *******s because they are better than those dirty poor people, with functional brains and principles and whatnot. Obviously.
    </rant>

16. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Time to calibrate the LOIC again, lol. Sounds like they want the sole right to sell keys for full price.

17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DDOSing Ubisoft won't help anyone! :p

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The banning of keys by Ubisoft has me very concerned.

Last year, I purchased what I thought was a legitimate key for Sniper Elite III on PC from a trusted retailer I had been using for years and was able to successfully activate it and pre-load the game. A couple of days later I was notified by Steam that the key was not valid and the game disappeared from my library, apparently because it was suspected to be fraudulent and stolen (like what Ubisoft are saying now). I was able to get a full refund and I went and bought the boxed version from Amazon for, thankfully, just a few pounds more. I've had no problems since.

Now I bought PC copies of Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew from the same retailer I have used for years with no problems for £24.99 each last year, a substantial saving on the £39.99 being asked by Ubisoft and Valve. They are still there now (or rather they were there this morning when I checked...) but with the Sniper Elite III issue still fresh in my mind, I can't help but think that Ubisoft may target these other sellers next and I will find all those games removed.

This is a big problem with digital distribution in my opinion. If I buy an Xbox One, PS4, PS Vita or Wii U boxed game from ShopTo.net or Amazon, wherever, then I know that it will be a legit copy (unlike PC games they do not require the entry of a key except for DLC, etc, either). However, unless I purchase a boxed PC game from one of those places then how am I supposed to know whether the key I've bought is actually from an approved seller? It may work initially but will it still be valid in six months (apparently copies of Watch_Dogs weren't) and where does it leave me if the retailer goes bust in the meantime? What chance then do I have of getting a refund? Call me cynical but is this just a way for the publisher to scare their customers from buying cheap keys and make them pay more for them from their own sites (Uplay and Steam) so they can maximise their profits? Are we suddenly going to find chunks of our games libraries deleted as publishers ban more of these supposedly cheaper "stolen" keys?

Regardless, what annoys me about what Ubisoft are doing is that unlike Steam they are apparently not notifying their customers that games have been banned nor are they explaining exactly why either. Surely that is not legal or right? In my humble view publishers should be targetting the sellers of these keys and punishing/suing them not the customers who in all likelihood bought the keys in good faith. Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it is 'dodgy' or illegal. Console games sell in digital format on PSN and Xbox LIVE for much higher prices than what I generally pay for boxed copies from ShopTo.net after all, and on PC there are fewer games being released on disc (or are delayed until after the digital release, likely in an effort to make them pay higher prices in my view) meaning that you have no choice but to seek out a digital key if you want to play it on release. Why would I pay £40 if a reputable retailer, someone who I trust and have been using for years, is selling the same key for £15 less? Is that not what we've been doing for years with boxed PC and console games?

I can see why publishers want their games to be sold digitally as they can have absolute control over pricing. I buy a lot of PC games and one of the main reasons I do is because they are cheap. I can pick up bargains in the Steam sales and generally I never pay more than £25 for a full-priced release, whether its picking up a boxed copy on Amazon or a key from my favourite online retailer. However, if publishers decide to ask £40-£50 for PC games new, and when they are as broken as Far Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed: Unity were at launch, well then I will simply stop buying them at launch, end of, until they are cheap in a sale (which is probably the most sensible thing to do anyway as the games many issues should be fixed by then!).

(This is a repost of the one from the Far Cry 4 thread in the Games section)

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    People just need to do what I do.... Avoid Ubi games.... The only reason I play FC3 is because I got it free with my 7950... If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't own it.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not against keysellers. I know I couldn't put up with you guys anyway, you've probably got ten times as many arguments proving that keysellers are good that any I could bring up to claim otherwise, if I wanted.

I just want to say, as with any other item on the market, to go with boobies' comment, sometimes you get scammed. Sometimes you buy a copied iphone from Asia because it's half the price and you end up with a faulty product or one that doesn't match the original item's specifications.

I personally think that those people absolutely tried the best in their own intentions and went to get stuff cheap, but at the same time they should be aware that they are taking risks of more or less big consequences. And to think ubisoft (or any other such company for that matter) would happily watch the average price for a newly released game drop below what they want to see coming in per copy even after a year, is delusional. So yes, they tried the best a customer could do in today's economically dominated word, but something went wrong, and now they lost their investment. I'm not going to cry rivers for them, tbh.

There's the fault :D

I would absolutely support that. But not only ubicrap, but some other's too ;)