How hard is it to upgrade laptop componants?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by tooncinator, Sep 5, 2014.

1. tooncinator

tooncinator Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE 256 mb
    Hello,

I was looking to upgrade some parts on my wifes laptop. She has an \ Acer Aspire 5750G-6496 http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-5750g-6496-15-6-core-i5-2410m-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/specs/

Theres a link to the specs in it.

I've worked on desktop Pcs before, but not a whole lot on laptops. I guess my question is how hard are they to work on to replace/upgrade parts? I'm looking to atleast upgrade the processor from the the I5 2410M @ 2.3 Ghz to something newer (I have a thread on that in the intel forums).
    We'd also like to upgrade the memory from 4 gb to 8 (that's the max it says is supported in the specs we found).
    Will something like http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8500-204-Pin-Notebook-CT2CP51264BC1067/dp/B001MX5YWI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=memory+8gb+ddr+mobile+204+pin work?
    It looks like the memory in it now is 204 pin ddr3 at 1066 MHz, so hoping that set will work.
    And is replacing memory plug and play like it is in a desktop?

Thanks for any and all replies.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Laptop CPU's are usually soldered to the board and not replaceable. RAM is easy to upgrade though....SoDIMM is what you need.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    You might be able to upgrade the CPU, but not to something newer, faster yes, but not going from i5-2410m to a i5-3410m.

You'll need to check the manual

4. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    it is posable to change cpu, gpu, ram and hard drivers, depending on laptop, i recomend googleing yours and finding more infomation

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Acer Aspire 5750G-6496 - 15.6" - Core i5 2410M - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD

Storage > Interface > Serial ATA-300

I'd try upgrading only the HDD to an SSD first before anything, that alone would make the biggest difference in performance. The largest capacity you can afford.

Newer drives will be compatible with the Serial ATA-300 Interface, just at a reduced sequential read\write speed, so no need to worry about that.

Once all the data is copied over to the SSD you could then put the 500GB HDD in an Ext. USB enclosure for large files\backups.

6. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Man I threw some cheap M4's and 2 more gigs of RAM into some old core 2 laptops with Sata 2 and the things were like new again. Won't be surprised when we're still using them in 10 years (they're toughbooks)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    SOME laptops can have their CPU's upgraded. Not all though. You need to find out if the current processor is PGA/LGA or BGA. If it's LGA or PGA, it's possible to upgrade but you may find the end results undesirable. If the processor is BGA, you're stuck with what you have.

There should be a cover on the bottom of the laptop to access the memory and harddrive.

I'm with clawhamer and biggerx here. Upgrade to an SSD first. I did so with the wife's laptop running a Pentium P6200 and it made a pretty substantial difference in how fast it responds. In most laptops, the harddrive is the biggest bottleneck so replacing it with an SSD is quite noticeable.

8. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Usually, the only things you can replace or upgrade are the memory and HDD. Some really high end gaming laptops have upgradeable discrete GPU's but I have never seen one where the CPU is replaceable. Memory is a snap and is plug and play as long as the motherboard supports it.

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I have seen it to be more much more common that a laptop has an upgradeable CPU than a GPU.

I know mines can do both.

10. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    you can upgrade most notebooks as long as the cpu is not embedded but only the same gen cpu but to be safe make sure your notebook series came out with that cpu and youll be good, you could upgrade to say 2670 i7 socket 988 i have done a few 5750 acers the video your stuck with but the i7 will be faster than the i5 upgrade the memory for sure but for what that would cost you to do that just buy a better notebook, that way you can get a better graphics when buying laptops the most important thing to look at is the graphics as unless it is a very high end you cant do to much with the graphics

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Upgrading the Ram and hard drives in a Laptop is a fairly easy thing to do. However upgrading the CPU isn't really an easy task and in Some laptops not even possible to do so.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    The best solution is to open up the laptop and see for yourself.

I've bumped into a strange design from ASUS last month which had a RAM stick ... embedded in the motherboard. It had one slot left up on top to "add" more ram though. Weird as hell.