ChromebookCompability&Functionality

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by ozdennisb, Nov 20, 2014.

1. ozdennisb

ozdennisb Member

GPU:
    Intel 4000
    How user-friendly is any Chromebook computer towards installed software such as Windows 7, Office 7, Adobe suite or the range of apps available in Open Source?
    I need a laptop that is compatible with a state-of-the-art desktop presently empowered by i7 , Ivy Bridge etc., but able also to connect with Open Software apps. All advice gratefully received.

2. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Well a Chromebook runs chrome, and maybe Linux but that's it. You're not going to be installing Windows on one. If you want a full desktop experience on a laptop try this: http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Here is an Australian Clevo outlet. http://www.metabox.com.au/

Both those places sell i7 powered laptops that will let you do most things a powerful desktop will do. Chromebooks are underpowered "netbooks" and are not to be used for anything more than word processing and internet browsing.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Chromebooks aren't designed to run Windows. In fact, it's quite the opposite. They're specifically designed NOT to run Windows.

ChromeOS, like Android, is a very customized fork of Linux. ChromeOS will only run apps available from the Chrome App Store. Most of the Chromebooks only have 32-64GB eMMC, which Windows would eat up very quickly.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The x86 Chromebooks you can throw in developer mode and run Windows on them, but that kind of defeats the purpose....Even more then Sykozis mentioned, the limited space.

We use them here at the school system I work for. I use them for my verizon management, RDP into my work computer and webservers, and since they're small and light that's very quick and easy to do.

5. ozdennisb

ozdennisb Member

GPU:
    Intel 4000
    Thanks to BiggerX, sykozis and VBetts. Help much appreciated. Chromebook does not suit our need, but it is good to be advised by people who know what they are talking about. Christmas blessings from Melbourne and call in for a coffee sometime. ozdennisb