Frame doubling interpolation for 1080p x264 mkv's for superfluid 48 fps

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by nzweers, Feb 15, 2009.

1. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    This method interpolates extra frames between the 24 fps to achieve 48 fps enabling supersmooth fluid motion like this example:

[​IMG]

It does not simply double the existing frames, it actually interpolates a new image to fit in between. It's hard on your cpu!
    It is great for scenes where the camera pans over the scenery at a constant speed. Fast action scenes tend to be more clear as well. The whole movie gets a very realistic feel to it. It's just awesome. Actually IMAX HD is at 48 fps as well. Beware though, it is not easy to get this working. But once you got it, you never want to go back to 24!

I have been testing and tweaking all kind of scripts and filters and came accross people who said it's impossible realtime, for dvd res only or people who did 720p only. On 1080p mkv's I get about 80% cpu usage on my q6600 @ 2.7ghz and about 30% usage on 720p, all cores used. I can enable other filters at the same time like sharpen, noise and subs. Here's how:

1. Get BSPlayer free edition: http://www.bsplayer.org
    Media player classic and zoomplayer give sometimes stuttering results on 1080p, it works good for 720p though. Set bsplayer options on internal overlay video output.

2. Get FFDShow: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm
    Install with all avisynth options enabled

3. Get Avisynth: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57023

4. Get mvtools: http://avisynth.org.ru/mvtools/mvtools.html#download.
    Now for the tricky part, put mvtools.dll in the Avisynth/plugins folder.

5. Download MT (multi-threading plug-in) for AVISynth: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/MT.
    Put MT.dll also in the Avisynth\plugins folder. Avisynth.dll has to replace the dll in the c:\windows\system32 folder or c:\windows\syswow64.

6. Open the ffdshow filter and put this script in the avisynth tab:

SetMtmode(2,16)
    global idx1 = 10
    global source=ffdshow_source()
    source=changefps(source,source,true)
    # assume progressive PAL 25 fps or NTSC Film 23.976 source
    idx1 = idx1 + 1
    backward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = true, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=idx1)
    # we use explicit idx for more fast processing
    forward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = false, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=idx1)
    source.MVFlowFps(backward_vec, forward_vec, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), den=FramerateDenominator(source), mask=0, idx=idx1)
    distributor()

Put buffer back/ahead on 0/24. Disable 'add ffdshow video source' and disable YUY2, RGB24 and RGB32. From the script you can change SetMtmode(2,16) to 2,8 for 8 threads if you have a dual-core.

That's it! To see if it works use fraps, or check your cpu usage or enable the framerate osd of ffdshow. 21:9 1080p movies (1920x800 pixels orso) tend to be more easy for your cpu than 16:9 movies (1920x1080).

Have fun!!!

One last tip, bsplayer can do more than you think, additional options are hidden in the keyboard shortcuts.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    I can confirm, it works! Videos are super smooth on my Windows XP, thanks!

Unfortunately this doesn't work with Windows 7. MT avisynth isn't compatible with W7 and if i remove the mt lines from avisynth script, audio sync sucks and player jams after 20-30s :)

3. zenebona

zenebona New Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon4670 512mb
    Yeah, it's a good script. You also need reclock filter to speed up playback to 25 fps to get smooth playback, because the TV cannot be set to 48hz (only 24,25,30,50,60)

4. attila_gorilla

attila_gorilla Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Is there any reason why this is for mkv`s only?

5. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    @attila, I think dvd's work as well, I actually only use mkv's. Wmv's don't work though. What format would you like to double?

@zenebona, speed up playback to 25. Sounds cool, how would you get that reclock filter working?

6. zenebona

zenebona New Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon4670 512mb
    You can download it here:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=19931

When you start a media player, it asks if you want to use the reclock filter instead of the original audio renderer. I use it with Zoom Player, but can be used with any media player software.

7. zenebona

zenebona New Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon4670 512mb
    It works with divx/xvid avi files as well

8. attila_gorilla

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    that`s great to know, I`m gonna give it a shot.

9. attila_gorilla

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    EDIT:

It`s working! Thank you, great stuff!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  10. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

6. Open the ffdshow filter and put this script in the avisynth tab:

how on earth do i do that???

i feel so stupid.
    please help AAAAAAAAAAAAAA. i think i am gonna cry :C

11. Tristan1978

Tristan1978 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Cannot find mvtools.dll

I downloaded mvtools from http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MvTools-Download-69800.html

I have installed it but for the life of me cannot find the .dll file. As per the instructions I can not paste it into the avisynth plug in folder. Can anyone shed light on this for me please? Apologies if I sound very nooby :)

12. attila_gorilla

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. Tristan1978

Tristan1978 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Thanks very much for the quick reply. I have followed the instructions to a tee but as soon as I try and open a 720p mkv in MPC I get an error and it automatically shuts down. I'm hoping it's the lack of the mvtools.dll file that is causing it. Thanks for your help.

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    thanks attila_gorilla, will try it now.

15. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Finally got it working, and this thing is fooking AWESOME.

will need a quad to play back 1080 video though.

does this work on a quad???

16. Tristan1978

Tristan1978 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    This is really doing my head in. I have followed all instructions closely yet I continue to get the following pop up error when I try to open any mkv file in media player classic:

mplayer.exe - Application Error - The instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory.... the memory could not be read. etc etc.

If I uncheck avisynth in ffdshow my mkv's will play as normal, no issues.

PLEEAAASEEEE HELP. I have no clue what to do. Thanks, Tristan

17. attila_gorilla

GPU:
    ATI Mobility HD 5730
    Try it with xvid videos. Does it work with those? It should.

18. Tristan1978

Tristan1978 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Update. I reinstalled MPC and reinstalled MVTools, MT etc and I can now open MKV's with Avisynth checked but it's not playing back correctly, too much CPU load by the looks of it. I have used the script from the first post but changed the SetMtmode(2,16) to (2,8) as I have a dual- core. I have followed all other instructions. I feel I am soooooo close! Can anyone recommend a change to the script or settings? I have 2gb of ram and an ATI HD4850 card. I actually have 4gb of ram but can only seat one 2gb stick properly. Hopefully this extra info helps. I assume I shouldn't have an issue running 720p files with avisynth as I can turn sharpness, picture etc on with 720p files with no issues.

Thanks again for all the help, hopefully my incessant questions will help other people in the future.

19. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I got The Dark Knight 1080 MKV to play VERY smoothly! It worked perfectly for me. However, media player (classic/home cinema/11) all crash on me on exit after playing the video.

Btw, it actually looks better than playing it on my "120 Hz" 1080p HDTV!

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    does any video have 48 fps?? if yes then I ask where is this video to download.