Is Windows 10 truly worth it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Danny_G13, May 25, 2016.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Thanks to advice on the Guru3D forums I upgraded from Windows 7 64 to 10 based on my hardware, which you can see on the left.

It was the notion of DX12 and that Windows 10 was the platform for gaming that people cited as the reason to go up, when I'd pointed out my specs for gaming included 7.

Since 'upgrading' my system has had quite a few glitches and has crashed at least three times. I hadn't had a single unexplained crash on 7 in 18 months.

I had a look at this article, and I have to admit I identify with a great deal of the issues pointed out.

Ergo, the question has to be - is Windows 10 a bust? DX12 aside (and even then DX11 outperforms it anyway), is there any use in it, given 7's evident superiority? Is it worth my time setting up a dual boot with both so I can still have DX12 if needed but can use Windows 7 for absolutely everything else?

What's your thoughts fellas? Stick with 10 or go back to 7?

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Windows 7 had glitches in the beginning too. Windows 10 is fine overall and will get better over time.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Would say to fresh install windows 10, upgrades are ok but can cause some issues.

That is to say, i've had issues with an upgrade install (laptop) and no problems with a fresh install (desktop)

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    This is on a fresh install!

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I'm not sure we can call one year the beginning any more?

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont think it really maters Windows 10 is last OS to be released it all gona be upgrades upon win 10 if they hold true to what they said.

Windows10 is more stable then win 7 ever way for me and faster, but when things go wrong unlike windows 7 they really go bad.

I had to reinstall win 10 6+ times cause stupid things like WU breaking or WU updates breaking other things or the Start bar breaking with no clear cut way to fixing , with win7 stupid things like this I could fix with out re installed.

Other then the 1151 build causing my system to random take over minute to boot to desktop, which wasnt happen in initial release of the OS cause before 1151 system booted/restart in 30seconds was on desktop, this is still not fixed, guess it as bad as use to be as does get to desktop in 30 sec more then use too. And my uncles PC does the same thing at random, he has SSD in sata3 mode and I have it Sata2, so not issue with SSD it issue with OS. And I spent months try to fiqure out the cause. Right off a fresh install of the os it happens at random with out any of my programs/software reinstall. and seem to happen to random people at that.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Then we're in trouble in 2025 :D lol

[​IMG]

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Oops, sorry, read this and thought you meant doing an in place upgrade from windows 7

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I read it as an upgrade too lol

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    What happen to Win10 will be last OS released and it will all be in place upgrades they were pushing before win10 release? Lies and PR crap to get people to upgrade???

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I know, the only thing I can think of, is we will get 10.1, or 10.0.0.1 so they have plenty more releases as 10

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    True, my wording could have been better!

Nah, I cleaned the system and put on 10 fresh.

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    That does actually raise a point. I was on the 12 something build which I did as an upgrade rather than fresh install and I don't recall any break downs. It's this 15 whatever (November) build where I've had problems.

One blue screen, one graphics break down and one blank screen with moving cursor. Not perfect. Not perfect at all.

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Well, seeing how most people define worth in their local currency and Win 10 is free, I would say it is indeed "worth" it. I upgraded from 7 then clean installed on day one, and haven't regretted it or looked back since. I did have issues with my start menu not opening, but they have since fixed it and I literally have no issues.

I've loved the extra speed and snappiness 10 provides, along with the cumulative updates that make things even better (like, noticeable improvement upon installation and restart) than they were on launch. I've also enjoyed playing Forza on PC and I'm looking forward to Halo and GoW possibly coming to Win 10 as well. DX12 is just a little baby, whereas DX11 is grown and old. Just give it some time for Win 10 to mature and it should be leaps and bounds ahead of 7.

15. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have had no crashes at all in Windows 10 and I've had it since launch day. I use Classic Shell with it since the Start Menu , while much better than 8.1, is still not good enough for me. I have had zero problems with Windows updates or anything else and have not had to even think about reinstalling. To me, it has been perfect.

Last edited: May 26, 2016

16. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I've used every version of Windows 10 from the original RTM, to every preview build.. It's no more unstable than Windows 7 or 8.1.. While the original release had some very valid criticism and flaws in design and functionality; the preview builds have come a gigantic way.. At this point..

My cold dead hands taking Windows 10 from me.. I remember when XP first rolled out and the same BS was going on.. OMG COLORS, OMG DIFFERENT, OMG I HAVE TO LEARN NEW THINGS!! IT IS THE DEVIL

And we all know how that ended... :)

17. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hehe, love it. There'll do Windows 12 with DX14 next. Preview around end of 2018.

18. NHK

NHK Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I've been on the fence about Win 10 and decided against it because my Win 7 has been rock solid.

I just like having total control over my system and Win7 gives me that. From what I've gleamed,
    Win 10 has a "father knows best" approach and at any moment MS can make sweeping changes,
    and you are just along for the ride.

It may be inevitable that I will have to upgrade for hardware and software purposes, but at the
    moment I'm staying with my spirit animal, Win7.

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Works great on my system though I had to do an upgrade with only keeping documents so effectively a fresh install. This is because Core Temp f***** it all up and causes the upgrade to fail. Yes I'm aware there's a new version. Only took them half a year to fix it.

Also I've had a look at the changes in Redstone and there are things to shout about.

I wasn't keen on the app side of things but now I'm a convert. Facebook/Messenger apps are good so I no longer need the browser.

Games on the store such as Forza are great. Plenty of things you're missing out on with W7.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The first version that was released in 2015.... They will not support ancient Windows 10 builds forever.