Fury or fury X

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kevin, Jul 21, 2015.

1. kevin

kevin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI gaming 6G
    well the fury x seems to have vanished from the shelves (cant find one any where) but the Fury is here , my question is should i get one of these it is slightly underpowered compaired to the the X version, also the Xversion has a problem with coil noise and it says no where, on line if you order a x if its v1 or v2 (hate to get on with a noisy cooler)
    so i cannot really make my mind up was even considering the 980ti but i have a all AMD system and have had ati Cards for the last 10-12 years..

2. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    none. no performance increase coming from cf 290x. get better cpu i say instead.

3. kevin

kevin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI gaming 6G
    i have sold one of my R290X got a offer i could not say no too .

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wait for Skylake and jump to Intel. Something like i7 6700k would boost those 290X's more than going with a single Fury.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From one 290x to one Fury(x) both are kind of decent upgrades.
    But at this point you may consider Freesync monitor which may prove to be better investment as it will last you long time and prolong time you will use your cards.

If you are set for Fury(X), then look at: Size, Cooling solution, Noise.
    If you have case where you can mount Fury X's radiator way it is meant to, then it is better choice.

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Hey, i'm in the same boat as you. I placed an order for both Fury and Fury X to reserve stock but think i'll go for the Fury X.

My reasons
    1. Watercooled
    2. Extra shaders will come in handy later on.

For a $100 more i say it's worth it.
    As for whether you should go for the Ti or Fury is up to your needs.

My reasons for the Fury over Ti
    1. Better at 4k
    2. Eyefinity
    3. Performance will get better overtime.
    4. I prefer AMD :)

And before anyone says i'm a fan boy i've owned various Nvidia card. Last being 680.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    With that cpu I would ditch xfire and get a fury fury x, amd cpus are pretty weak at multi gpu compared to intel. Stick with a strong single gpu until you move to intel.

8. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    I'd wait for the first DX12 games to come out and see how multi core CPUs fair.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    go for fury x, there's is a big possibility that your amd cpu to shine with dx12, if that won't be the case you will have another option, Zen cpu's which should bring a big boost.
    So leave your CPU like it is, get FuryX and wait for dx12 result or get en when released.

10. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    This^^^ And if you ever head down the road of multi-GPU then the Fury X offers really great scaling in games.

11. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-why-directx-12-is-a-gamechanger

Scroll down to a table that shows how both an i5 4690k and fx 8350 perform in the dx 12 drawcalls test.

AMD cpus are weaker, no matter what dx version you use. Till the zen cpu comes out, you are better off investing in an intel i7 4790k or skylake, than upgrading the gpu. Going for the cpu will cost you about 400 bucks provided you go for a decent mobo, and the cpu costs around 300+, and get around 5-10fps boost in many games. Going for the gpu you will pay around 700, and bundled with that cpu, and you would def. run into a cpu bottleneck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mustrum

mustrum Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    Since you allready know the performance of two 290x i would say go fury X.
    I just bought one yesterday (sitting right next to me now waiting to be installed in the evening).
    I don't expect more performance compared to my 2 r290 non X but i play way too many games that have no crossfire support. In fact pretty much half of my games only work with one gPU wich is why i made this step.

What display do you use? I use 3x 108ßp wich is why io really need the GPU power. If you play with one 1440p for example a fury non X might be the wiser choice if budget is taken into consideration.

13. kevin

kevin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI gaming 6G
    i have 3 monitors the main is a dell 3415 ,34" curved @3440x 1440 second is a 20" running at 1080p and number thre is a small 18"running @ 1300.720 or summit like that long time since i checked the res

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    But then with Zen you go back to the single stronk core design. (Unless you don't exactly, that would be interesting to see).

As for the actual question: You are giving all that cash already, 100$ for a better card with a nice watercooler on top (and since you'll get the second revision, you won't have any problems either) sounds fair and overall better.

15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I just bought a FuryX, about 100€ more expensive, yes, but watercooled and little performace gap that could get bigger (hope so) in the future.

16. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    The water cooling will come in handy once Fury OC potential gets unlocked.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Even if it doesn't, it's better than a blower at sending the heat from the card out of the case, quieter, and with much better thermal performance.

18. kevin

kevin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI gaming 6G
    got a sapphire fury x today think I got a rev 1 thou slight whine on the coil not to load thou

19. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Here are a few tests with more powerful processors.
    http://www.computerbase.de/2015-03/...r-nvidia/#diagramm-3dmark-intel-core-i7-4770k
    DX12/R9 290X/AMD FX8370 – 13.886.275
    DX12/R9 290X/Core i5 2500K – 12.786.088
    DX12/R9 290X/Core i7 4770K – 17.050.386
    2500K and FX8370 have lower scores than 4770K. But both can have good OC. Probably their users will not have reason to complain.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If anyone thinks that current or next generation of GPUs will run at acceptable fps once you put 200,000 draw calls per frame just because this simple non shaded box world does over 60fps at that moment, you should think again.
    Right now we may get 50k draw calls and driver will choke CPU and not deliver workload to GPU, but if driver can push 100k without choking CPU, it will already be GPU choking due to all that complex shader/pipeline stuff.
    So 100k per frame, 60fps, ~6,000,000 draw calls per second is enough for current GPU generation. that means even considerably weak CPUs will be able to feed strong GPU.

Those CPUs which do 12M draw calls per second will come handy after another 2 generations after 980Ti/Fury X as at that point we double performance. My poor i5-2500k does just over 15M draw calls per second with 15.200.1023.10 driver.

If you check that nVidia driver pushes quite less with strong CPU than AMD's driver does with weak one. It matters little, because it is still quite a lot and more than this and next gen will need.