OK to use rivatuner statistics server for every game?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by fenderjaguar, Feb 22, 2015.

1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super
    Ever since nvidia frame rate capping at driver level has been broken, I have started using RSS to cap frame rates in nearly every game I play. I used to use dxtory, but I never realised how great RSS really was, so accurate and precisely timed.

However, yesterday I tried to play GTA san andreas, and the game seems to crash when RSS is set to detect it.

I am now concerned that RSS has the potential to make other games crash as well, without being so obvious for me to know about it.

Do you think it's fine to use it in every game as a matter of course?

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    You should be using MSI Afterburner + RTSS, is that what you are referring to and not the old Rivatuner program?

3. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    95% safe. There are some games that have issues either crashing or other random stuff with overlays from other programs. (DAI I think had loooong load times with overlays enabled for example) Should be fine "almost" always tho

4. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650 Super
    I'm pretty sure it's the same RTSS that's included with MSI afterburner, but stand alone. I didn't want to run MSI afterburner as well, because I didn't use any of its features. I only want to cap the fps

http://i.imgur.com/WLJRScP.jpg

OK thanks, I play a lot of games, but GTA SA is the first one I had issue with. including about 100 steam games, some of which have hundreds of hours like GTA IV, crysis warhead etc and none of them have ever crashed. I mean, my nephew and I played the lego movie for like 100 hours and it crashed right near the end of the game, and I didn't know what else to blame it on. I run a very stable system (i'm basically a massive geek when it comes to these things, because I want it to be as stable as possible). I suppose I'm just being paranoid.

Just a thought, if I'm only using to cap the fps. Would it be wise to disable "show on screen display" and "show own statistics"? Would that take away the potential instability from an 'overlay' but still cap the frame rate?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

5. dany

dany Guest

GPU:
    2x nvidia titan X
    please rtss programmer, read this

Hello,
    first sorry for my poor english, it's my 2nd language. Please read all my post, i hope you will understand what im asking. NOt really the place i would post this, but i can't create a new thread... sadly.

Im a sli user and gsync @ 144hz user. I have a sli of titan x and the rog swift monitor. I have high fps in games but with sli, in many games i still see some stutter/micro-stutter, even in the 90+ fps range. Single card is generally butter smooth.

I discover how much using RTSS as a fps limitter was awesome. For exemple, in GTA5, with my setting, in town, im in the 90 fps range, but still see some stutter. Putting fps limitter to 80 fps help a lot. In fact, with sli, i discover that if you set a fps limitter and the fps never go below that fps, sli feel smooth.

So i run locked at 80 fps, and its smooth. But when i go outside of the city, fps go below 80, and even at 70 fps, i start to see some stutter/micro-stutter again. So if i take down the fps limitter to 65fps, every thing is smooth again.

But if then i go at the worse case in the game, fps can go as low as 55 fps. Then again, if i put a fps limitter to 50, smooth again. So to have a 100% smooth experience, i would have to limit at 50fps. But that is a bit low, when i can get 90+ fps elsewhere in the game.

So what im asking to programmer, is there a way make a dynamic fps limitter?
    Like it would go down as fps go down, and it would go up only when enought power to not fall back so quick. I don't know if you understand what i mean?
    A bit like nvidia did with their "smooth vsync" option, in the manner that when it drop to 30hz, it wont go back up to 60hz until it have high enought fps to not fall back to 30hz too soon.

That would be totally insane you guys could do that and you would be my new god for a long time. That is the only way to enjoy a real smooth experience with gsync + sli +144hz. Im very sencitive to any for of stutter, and i can't live without RTSS now, but would be so great if a dynamic fps limitter would be possible.

Thanks you very much