AMD A8-7600 Kaveri APU gets reviewed and tested [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the new Kaveri APU from AMD. Today's released A8 and A10 APUs are now 100% heterogeneous, meaning that all segments in the APU like the processor, cache and GPU have truly merged. Next to...

AMD A8-7600 Kaveri APU gets reviewed and tested

2. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Looking good boss! I rather like the Configurable TDP (6800K performance at 45w is pretty darn good). Now we await the 7850K :D

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Beautiful. This seems to be matching the 6800K in terms of CPU performance at 3.3 GHz where as that ran at 4.0 ish, which I think bodes well for the 7850K, especially since it has 33% more GPU cores. The configurable TDP is cool, as well.

4. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    The 7850K is on Scan now for £140! Is it me, or is that rather pricey? At that price I would rather get a 750/760K + 260X for around £20~ more

EDIT: £150 on OcUK!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Though AMD injected the 7850K SKU at a high price, it's launch day. Give it a few weeks and that'll drop real fast.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm looking for an A10 around mid-late summer if things work out as intended..... I am a bit disappointed by the CPU performance though. Fortunately the A10 would be replacing an A4-5300....

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think this is a good point people seem to miss. What AMD accomplished with SR is a significant improvement over PD. Unfortunately, the performance of SR is what they should've had when bulldozer was released. If that were the case, AMD would be doing much better today.

Another thing to point out is the actual layout of the die. The CPU cores are relatively puny compared to everything else. You'd think if AMD put more transistors into the CPU so that it'd perform better.

8. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I have seen some reviews saying the CPU performance is poor and that it's not much different yet there is a 800MHz clock difference from the A8-7600k and the A10-6800k!!!!

It's on overclockers @ £139 now.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Remember it's a 2 billion transistor die.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And a lot of those transistors are for the iGPU section.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Right, but that's 2 billion total, not just for the CPU itself. It looks like both of the CPU partitions combined are roughly 1/6 of the entire chip. That's relatively puny. While the IGP is the selling point of APUs, it really seems AMD isn't even trying to make the CPU better.

On another note, while this APU has very nice GPU performance, I'm not too sure if I'd say it scales well against intel's IGP when you consider performance, clock rate, transistors, and power consumption. If intel actually gave half a damn about GPUs, it wouldn't surprise me if they could create a new IGP better than AMD. They have the money for it. But, for whatever reason, Intel doesn't seem to be working too hard on their IGPs. I want AMD to succeed, but it seems like they're getting a little too comfortable with their GPU division.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Intel has Iris..which looks to be a pretty damn strong IGP. It's just a matter of how well it's performance really scales and whether Intel decides to push it further.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I wonder whether gurus can give titles of applications which can utilize Kaveri`s Heterogeneous System Architecture described in the review?

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I really like this HUMA, I wish intel would do this now with current igpus.. According to gpu caps viewer i4600 has 20 cu's by openCL.. vs 16 by lets say GTX 580.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Is the 7850K gunna have the same tunability of NB speed and GFX core speed as the previous 5/6XXXK CPUs BTW?

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Anything that uses OpenCL can take advantage of it as should games.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    1) Are you sure OpenCL lets use both CPU and GPU at the same time (I mean not "either of them") ?
    2) Titles, please.

18. CrisanT

CrisanT Guest

why the A8 and not the flagship tested ? :(

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    An interesting chip nothing else. The GPU performance is very good but the CPU is weak and it´s gonna take some years before the benefits of HUMA appear. By that time there will be faster and better chips from Intel and AMD.

Also on other foruns people noticed that it´s much better to buy an entry CPU and GPU and get much better performance that what the new Kaveri´s can deliver at the same prices so i really think AMD should reavaluate the price os those CPUs.

But from what i´ve understand this is the future and someone as to start it so kudos for AMD for being first!

20. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    just a question on tpd, is it for the entire silicone?

i mean the lowest tpd is 45w, thats assumed that both the 'cpu' part and 'gpu' parts under full load will be a total of 45w?