Which card is better?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Austyn, Mar 9, 2012.

?

Which card is better?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2012.
  1. nvidia Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti

32 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. ATI HIS HD 6950

28 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No a 480 at the same clocks as a 580 is roughly 6% slower than a 580. Again I only say the 480 is faster than a 6970. Fermi scales better. Has more oc headroom. So if a 480 is overclocked to 580 speeds. Say it is 6% slower than a 580. A 480 even at the 6% penalty is faster than a 6970. A 580 is not 15-20% faster than a 480. I have both cards. 32 shaders and 72mhz does not equal 15-20% faster

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    A oced 480 easily matches stock 580 performance and then some. So it's a great buy for £185 or 210usd.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    not if it can fry an egg!!!

how do you oc a 480 that much and not have to wear headphones...i cant see it myself..

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Mitzi, really? read what I wrote when I suggested that card earlier in the thread.

Pretty sure I got the math right, you said that a 480 once overclocked by 10% was 6% slower than a gtx 580, that would mean the 580 is atleast a 16% faster card so yeah it's going to be somewhere between 15-20% as they both have a similar architecture and the same drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have a shaman on it, can't hear that card. Massive heatsink with a 140mm fan. Inaudible. Anyway, black zero, look here http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7850-and-7870-review/21 the 480 is at least on paar with 6970, it's actually a little better if you check the whole review, it beats the 6970 more often than nor. Plus it overclocks a LOT better.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Multiplayer...and I did say +/-55 so that means it could swing from 45-65fps.

It's def not a constant 55fps...I don't get why you have such a hard time believing that, I mean 55fps is not even that high.....:3eyes:

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    def a good card with a better cooler and got for a good price.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

yeah in BF3 Nvidia cards to have an advantage, but that's just one game and probably will get fixed with drivers like crysis 2 did, otherwise in many other games/reviews, especially when comparing with the latest drivers for both cards, the 6970 is a little faster, the anadtech chart I posted earlier showed that too. Also fermi does overclock better, I agree there too but then you have to look at aftermarket cooling etc.

But overall there isn't a massive difference between the cards as far as performance is concerned and at those prices I would be willing to overlook all the other differences.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^I def agree BF3 seems to prefer Nvidia over ATI...just noticed also there seems to be a gap in fps between 1600x1200 & 1920x1080, that surprises me.

Think I'm gonna change my specs to 6970 to save explaining my performance...everyone OK with that? lol

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    mp is much harder on rigs especially cpu`s. any decent quad can run sp np.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    apart from all the other stuff in this thread you highlighted a concern for me and amd cards

"probably get fixed with drivers"

perhaps that's the same re nvidia but i havent seen it that much. maybe am missing something but i check the nvidia driver section as well as the amd...

anyways dunno why we are still discussing this. the cards i.e the 560 ti etc werent the same re price so the op went for the cheaper option even though it has less vram.

and to recap on the vram thing that isnt a major issue esp as the op is buying the card for his padre.

now we all agree a dad isnt going to be the biggest gamer or techie as am sure most if not all the peeps in this thread who are arguing, are.

enough said no? :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well even my Athlon II X2 could run SP, do you remember us talking about this ages ago and I said the only reason I upgraded to a quad was to run BF3 MP? Same with my GPU otherwise I'd prob still have my 8800GTX.

Pretty ironic though seeing as how I don't even play it anymore...lol

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yeah well I quoted an example when I said it probably will get fixed, it's obviously a driver issue to begin with just like it was with crysis 2 so don't see why it can't get fixed and again it's only when using 4xMSAA otherwise the 6970 is faster.. and I doubt anyone would play plays BF3 MP at 1080p+ with 4x MSAA with any current single card, maybe the 7970 overclocked, but I doubt it. So yeah no point in going on about this, and I agree on the rest and said pretty much the same already ;)

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well could see you guys going around in circles that's all...

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:

I see you are taking the stock clocks more seriously than I am. as 99% of us here oc thats kinda a moot point. the 480`s were underclocked do to heat and I guess TDP. they have a lot of headroom to be overclocked. so if you just run video cards at stock the 580 will be more than 6% faster. usually a 10% oc does not equal a 10% increase in fps. like our SB cpus oc around 40% that does not equal a 40% increase in cpu related activities. so a 580 still is not 15-20% faster than a 480. as my head hurts I will turn to the kepler threads and read BS and fake graphs

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Which card is better?Neither there both ****,thats my opinion truthfully,sorry.:)

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No, I was trying to make sense of what you meant when you said a 6% difference, clearly a smaller/cooler/less power hungry card will reach higher clocks overall, which was my point all along and is based entitrely on overclocking, so when you say "see you are taking the stock clocks more seriously than I am. as 99% of us here oc thats kinda a moot point" perhaps you should consider the fact that you have just overclocked a card and left the other at stock? what kind of a comparison is that for the 99% in question.

And when you say 10% doesn't translate to a 10% increase in performance you are overlooking things like better memory compression/higher memory throughput and other optimisations done to the new core on the 580 so yeah when you look at it as a whole the 15-20% sounds pretty much spot on. I'm out of this thread too.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Me three...

19. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Ah, I'm late :) poll is closed. But i must tell mine opinion here :).

From decade of using both ATI/AMD and nVidia, never was "fanboy" of any, but simple fact come to my mind when is time for changing GPU. When i had nvidia, i always saw some problems in games... no matter what card is... low end, or mild to high end. I know what you talking about drivers, and i must agree with all of you, nVidia have much better driver support. But, for me, that is not better. One driver can boost performance sometimes some extreme numbers in %.

On the other hand, always when i had or worked with ATI/AMD, i had smile on mine face :). Most of them worked flawlessly. For their driver support, i prefer real performance instead of driver tweaks, because driver tweaks do boost performance, but at the end, you will always end up fixing that because other problems are created (lag etc...).

I use nVidia, simple because i it's cheaper, and somehow, always have a bunch of nVidia cards, bot not ATI. But that is just me, i neer look for some extra performance, just no lag in few games i play ;)

And with nVidia, it is always there :), when you fix it almost non-ntotable.