coil noise / people whine.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by stevevnicks, Nov 18, 2014.

1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So either it's of poor fabrication, poor consideration / care, or poor technical design? :rolleyes:

It is not necessarily a thing that hinders the GPU to do what it's supposed to do, render video output (and / or calculate physix or do compute work). But, it does NOT behave that way with any graphics card that's advertised as quiet or silent, because coil whine is audible, and annoying. I personally would consider excessive coil whine a fault, and mild coil whine still a negative, and I've had two coil whining cards back in the day with CF 5770s.

It IS a fault, maybe not in the most narrow technical sense, but would you buy a TV with coil whine? Or a cell phone? Just my opinion.

3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    either way its what coils do so no its not a fault regardless of your opinion its just a fact.

its down to how cheap the the coils are or condtions they used in and yes it may be fitted poorly but ALL coils can and do make noise, its if you can hear it at an human frequency. just because you cant hear it does not mean its not resonating. :rolleyes:

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Which is your opinion. Even your link mentions poor fabrication as one of the possible issues.
    But it's everybody's business if he's ok with low coil whine under load (a silent case helps), or if it's still annoying.

The good part is, when we get old, we lose high frequency hearing capacities, so it might be less of an annoyance ;)

5. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    If it weren't a fault then you wouldn't be able to RMA it. And yet, if you have coil whine, they will replace it for you, no questions asked.

6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    that's down to good customer relations. argue as much as ya like. opinion or fact its your choice I don't want to pop your bubbles.

oh of cause if the coils are poorly fitted then it will be repaired or replaced but if they make noise because of resonating they just send you the card back as it has no fault. they will change the card for the best part because its good for customer realtions.

BTW coils resonate its humans that whine.

7. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Yes, coil whine is a fact, I do agree with you, but if build quality is up to snuff than you can't hear it. So if you do hear it, than they either went the cheap route or it's a faulty batch.

Here's a quick experiment anyone can try to prove the concept. Lets say you have a ridiculously expensive high end limited edition super duper extra quality video card that's guaranteed not to have any coil whine. Fire up Unigine Heaven (or Valley) benchmark, than close the program, you get a little splash screen/credits at the end (on the free version at least, the full version probably doesn't have that screen) which will run at +2000 fps easy. And voila, coil whine on the super duper no coil whine guaranteed card. It's normal.

However, if you get coil whine at 60 fps when playing a game, or even worse, while idling on the desktop, than that is a manufacturing issue/bad batch/cheap components.

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I would agree if the 60fps was being achieved at ultra low settings and coils resonate it would either be cheap parts or defect but if your running 1080p and every spanky setting set to max then it would be normal it depends how hard your game/software is pushing the card. i'll leave you all to argue if coils resonate or not.. one thing I know a coil cant do and that's whine, it's the owner whining and the coil resonating lol ...

I would class a faulty coil if it makes a noise while not underload. but while a card is working fairly hard parts of a game or stupid high frame rate then that's is perfectly normal.

example : at desktop coil noise then probs bad coil
    while gaming coil noise should be expected at some points.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Coil whine isn't harmful but annoying. It's clearly audible whine that's annoying is caused by bad design or quality control issues and there are ways to prevent it. No, it's not normal that card sounds like a sausage about to explode. Whining cards shouldn't be a norm.

10. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    total rubbish you obs don't understand about the subject sorry.

fact that all coils can resonate under some conditions, its just a case of if you can hear it or not. you pay for what you get these days ... well sometime that's not always the case lol

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i agree, hey do the 980s whine too?
    *i'm trying to work out why 980s are a ton more expensive than 970s.

12. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    The Sausage analogy.... This made me LoL. Nicely done, sir, nicely done. :)

13. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I have heard plenty of coils resonate but more people whine about it lol

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yeah, if evga for ex. are sending out whiny cards then they've just devalued themselves in my books.
    i'll bet the 970 golden edition whines as well, what a joke.

15. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    lol what does it take hands in face ... all coils can resonate its when humans hear this they whine ....

read here might help you understand

its probs to do with laws of physics

look through this site it may help you understand

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/electrical-engineering.102/

some peoples expectations are beyond me lol

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I know exactly what causes the coil noises and I also know that there are ways to make it sound something else than exploding sausage. Gluing the coils for example should help a lot but that's something they rarely do for GPUs. I've swapped my card because it had coil whine issue. Coils vibrate and make noise obviously because they vibrate, no **** Sherlock. But when they happen to vibrate so that they make the card sound like whistling sausage there's a problem and it's not what the manufacturer intended. You should pull your head out of the sand and you are clearly the clueless one. You really think all cards sound the same? :bang:

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    not at all, Sherlock.

its not always the case its a faulty coil just because you can hear it resonate does not automaticly deem it faulty lol noisy yes faulty no. if it was faulty it probs would not work at all as its just a coil.

im not trying to claim to be an expert on this, just common sense approach.

so get your facts right first.

as for get my head out of the sand maybe you want to get your head out of your 11,054 posts ...

look too try and keep things polite at the end of the day some coils can be noisier than others its as simple as that if it stupid loud then yes ask for an exchange as anyone would.

the noise you call whine is probs the frequency being kind of harmonic out of the copper wire that resonating due to the frequency or something along those lines at a guess, its harmless but if loud can be annoying, of cause im using the common sence approach to this so I may be wrong on the way I have explained it.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    First you say it's not a problem (although your own link contradicts you partially), then under certain conditions it is a problem. Then you claim everybody disagreeing is talking rubbish, and then that you want to keep it polite. Interesting.

Sorry, my opinion's not changed. Facts are, when a coil resonates it produces sound, got that, and knew already. You are absolutely right there op, but a properly constructed and built product should not whine (that's what the card does) or resonate (what the coil does). Again, nobody would buy, or use a TV that whines when you turn it on, or a cell phone that starts to utter sounds of resonating coils when you start or receive a call... but with graphics cards it's okay? I don't see a big difference and why graphics cards should have lower standards than any other electronics in the consumer sector, sorry.

Just out of curiosity, have you had cards with resonance sounds or coil whine, as it's commonly called, steve?

19. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea my 970's sometimes give a little whine now and then depends on what games it not all the time though or very loud or an issue for me, my point is its not going to break your card people hear about coil whine who have no idea what it is then start worrying there card is going to go bang or its broken, well its not it just has noisy coil/s for what ever reason and the card will work just fine, if its an issue for you then send it back by all means but sorry it dose NOT mean your card is broken or about to fail. to me the problem is over hyped and almost used as fear mongering lol.

oh and now I think back my old 6600gt sli setup used to as well .. it was the first time I ever heard it so back then it was new to me.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    There I agree with you, I would not think a card is going to turn into dynamite because of that.
    I once had CF passive 5770s from Gigabyte, and both cards showed the described behavior. One produced the high pitch noises under 3D loads only, the other even under desktop and idle load. I did not return either card, the less noise card is now working in my HTPC. Still it made me think that something basic's wrong there, and that was 5 or more years ago.